LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K UHD $40 - Live Again (Don't Wait!)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K UHD Repressing Coming in October

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

The Deepdiscount group (Deepdiscount, Moviesunlimited, ImportCDs, etc.) has it for preorder it looks like. Says it's backordered but if they're accepting orders it may be the new pressing.

Import CDs seems to have the lowest price:

https://www.importcds.com/lawrence-of-a ... 3396581302

AndyDursin

Re: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K UHD Repressing Coming in October

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

It's live again...for $40!~

PRICE IS LIVE WHEN YOU CLICK THROUGH (ASSUMING IT'S STILL AVAILABLE)

mkaroly

Re: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K UHD $40 - Live Again (Don't Wait!)

#18 Post by mkaroly »

Thanks Andy - I bought my copy at the $41 price point.

Geez...lol...I am considering just keeping it sealed and selling it for hundreds of dollars later! :lol: I had no idea this was such a hot commodity.

Monterey Jack

#19 Post by Monterey Jack »

Ordered at Deep Discount for $29.99 (plus use the code "PLUNGE' for an additional 10% off). It's on backorder, so hopefully it will go through...

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

Great price! I'd worry if it gets fulfilled but that's a steal for something still selling $100+ on Ebay even with the new printing being sold.

Edmund Kattak

#21 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:47 am Great price! I'd worry if it gets fulfilled but that's a steal for something still selling $100+ on Ebay even with the new printing being sold.
I also jumped at it when it reappeared again this last time. With Amazon points, I think it cost me $37. Then again I paid $30 from Amazon about 8 years ago for that LoA boxed set with the book and turned it into $105 on eBay during the pandemic. Somehow, I think I still came ahead in the black on this. lol.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

:lol: I remember that set well! I sent it to the "secondary market" a few years back and at the bare minimum made enough to cover the initial expense (and then some lol).

Obviously you feel a little more comfortable with Amazon as opposed to Deepdiscount on getting this filled, though one never knows with Sony what the strategy is. These Steelbooks tend to go out of print then resurface with another "round" so to speak months or sometimes years later...or in the case of that GHOSTBUSTERS UHD "Ghost Trap" limited set, not at all.

The interesting thing is their UHD Steelbooks -- unless they're a straight "reprint" like this one -- often add new content over their previous UHD releases. I.e. if a title was only in HDR10 the first time, they'll add Dolby Vision on the Steelbook. Many other times they'll throw in some new extras (the "preview cut" in the GHOSTBUSTERS UHD box set, deleted scenes on CLIFFHANGER, etc.) for the Steelbook they didn't release previously.

LAWRENCE is in hot demand because there is no other UHD release for this outside the Steelbook. There never was a "standard" release -- its only previous issue was in the (very long out of print) COLUMBIA CLASSICS VOL. 1 UHD box-set which commands hundreds on the secondary market. And when Sony says stuff is limited they tend to mean it -- other than DR. STRANGELOVE none of the other titles from that box were released separately (same deal for Volumes 2 and 3).

mkaroly

#23 Post by mkaroly »

I don't think it's at $40 any more?

AndyDursin

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

What's going on is Amazon's stock depletes/sells out so it's not even Amazon that's the seller when you see the price that high. Thus the price goes from their "retail" of $40 (or whatever) up to the 3rd party gougers who I assume are moving older stock for $115.

It comes in and out of availability for sale from Amazon so you might click later on or in a few days and it'll show up again at $40. But that's why you need to jump in when it's there, because it's not going to last!

If anyone is still looking for it, Deepdiscount still has it for sale on backorder (at $29.99). Much higher chance of cancellation there but the price is good so it's worth a shot:

https://www.deepdiscount.com/lawrence-o ... 3396581302

Monterey Jack

#25 Post by Monterey Jack »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:05 pm Ordered at Deep Discount for $29.99 (plus use the code "PLUNGE' for an additional 10% off). It's on backorder, so hopefully it will go through...
Holy sh!t, I got it! :shock: Too bad the first movie disc is covered with circular scratches. :x

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

Nice going! I ordered me a back up copy for that price, if it ships great, if not I'm already covered lol. I would imagine they are expecting more stock or else it wouldn't be available for order. 8)

Monterey Jack

#27 Post by Monterey Jack »

Is there anywhere I can reach out for a replacement disc? Sucks that I finally got this, but disc #1 will probably freeze up and glitch out. :?

AndyDursin

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

Are they scoffs that come off or real scratches?

Sony won't be any help, they'll just tell you to go back to the retailer. You can ask DDD if they'd take it back but if it's out of stock obviously they can't exchange for another copy -- just give you a refund.

You could place another order from them and hope it ships -- and/or buy it from Amazon or somewhere else, then just return the scratched disc in that package. Since it's all going back to Sony in the end anyway, there's nothing unethical about that.

Monterey Jack

#29 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:25 pm Are they scoffs that come off or real scratches?
Deep, authentic scratches that didn't wipe off. :(

Goddammit, for the premiums we pay for physical media these days, shouldn't we get products that don't look like they were mauled by Wolverine when it's fresh out of the shrink wrap? :? My copy of Twinkle Twinkle, Lucky Stars from the second Jackie Chan set from Shout was similarly wrecked, and it froze up barely 15 minutes into the movie. It's all down to that horrid replication plant down in Mexico that's the only place left pressing discs for the U.S. at the moment, and how quality control went to sh!t during the Covid years and never recovered.

AndyDursin

#30 Post by AndyDursin »

My $26.99 backup/hoarding copy just shipped from DDD. 8)