GODZILLA X KONG - The "Colorcast" is Back

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

GODZILLA X KONG - The "Colorcast" is Back

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Fine with me, at least the action scenes in GODZILLA V KONG were strong and better executed than the dour, dreary KING OF THE MONSTERS.

And Stevens has to be a better lead than the last guy, who basically vanished into thin air while the movie was taking place. :lol:
EXCLUSIVE: Marking the first major role to be cast in the upcoming sequel, Dan Stevens is set to lead the next installment of Legendary’s Monsterverse film franchise, a follow-up to last year’s Godzilla vs. Kong. Adam Wingard, who helmed the first film, is returning to direct, with production is slated to begin this summer in Australia.

Per usual, plot details are being kept under wraps, other than following the film’s larger-than-life monsters and then preparing for their next battle against each other. Godzilla vs. Kong helped get audiences back in theaters as it became the second film of the Covid era to cross the $100 million mark at the domestic box office en route to $468 million globally. The number is impressive as it also bowed day-and-date on HBO Max.

As for Stevens, while 2017’s live-action Beauty and the Beast was his first major tentpole lead, the veteran actor has been particular in the film roles he has taken, not jumping into major sequels in the past, but the opportunity to reteam with Wingard was too hard to pass up. The two worked together on the action horror thriller The Guest, the Sundance pic that surprised audiences as it gave them a badass performance from Stevens that viewers weren’t used to and critics and fans went crazy for. The film earned both Stevens and Wingard some of the best reviews of their careers, while also having major studios taking notice of the potential of both Stevens and Wingard in their future film slates.

Stevens, most recently seen as Nixon White House Counsel John Dean in Gaslit, the Watergate-focused Starz limited series that premiered last month, also received critical praise this year for his German-language performance in Maria Schrader’s film I’m Your Man. He also starred in Noah Hawley’s acclaimed X-Men series Legion on FX, voiced a pair of royals on HBO Max’s The Prince and played Matthew Crawley on Downton Abbey.

Stevens is represented by CAA, Julian Belfrage Associates and Peikoff Mahan. Wingard is repped by CAA and Grandview.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/godzilla-v ... 235022755/

mkaroly

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG Sequel Shoots This Summer, Dan Stevens to Star

#2 Post by mkaroly »

For me, this is good news...I really liked GvK (though I wish the story had been developed more). Very excited the series will continue.

AndyDursin

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG Sequel Shoots This Summer, Dan Stevens to Star

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Glad to see they're continuing the little girl's connection with Kong and bringing Rebecca Hall back.

Someone in the comments claims Dan Stevens is playing the grandson of John Goodman's KONG SKULL ISLAND character.

https://theplaylist.net/godzilla-vs-kon ... -20220825/
Odds were against “Godzilla Vs. Kong” being a box office success back in March 2021 thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, Adam Wingard‘s film fared alright despite its simultaneous release in theaters and on HBO Max. The film grossed $470 million against a budget of $155-200 million. In the pandemic era, that’s not too shabby and indeed good enough for a sequel, which Business Wire reports, is now in production.

The as-yet-untitled sequel is the latest entry in Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures‘ “Monsterverse,” following the showdown Godzilla and King Kong had in the 2021 film. Plot details are slim, but Business Wire has the scoop that the new film pits Kong and Godzilla “against a colossal undiscovered threat hidden within our world, challenging their very existence – and our own.” In addition, the new film promises more about the history of the Titans, the origins of Skull Island, and the mythical and ancient battles that caused the Titans to become tied with humankind in the first place.

Sound like a lot for a new film to tackle? Well, Wingard is back in the directorial saddle to make it as palatable as possible. Also returning are “Godzilla Vs. Kong” cast members Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, and Kaylee Hottle. Newcomers include Dan Stevens, who worked with Wingard on 2014’s “The Guest,” Fala Chen, Alex Ferns, and Rachel House.

“Godzilla Vs. Kong” scribe Terry Rosario returns to pen the script for the upcoming movie with Jeremy Slater and Simon Barrett. Other crew returning from “Godzilla Vs. Kong” include director of photography Ben Seresin, production designer Tom Hammock, editor Josh Schaeffer, and composer Tom Holkenborg.

Production for the sequel is already underway in Queensland, Australia, with a slated theatrical release date of March 15, 2024. As for what Godzilla and King Kong face off against in the new movie, it’s anyone’s guess. However, after journeying to the earth’s center in “Godzilla Vs. Kong,” the sequel needs a huge, gonzo, out-there idea to one-up its predecessor. Check out photos from the film’s production below.

Monterey Jack

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG II - March '24 - Production Underway

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Just please, God(...zilla!), no obnoxious supporting characters. Brian Tyree Henry came close to wrecking the last movie whenever he was on screen (and I felt bad for Millie Bobby Brown, having 90% of her screentime yoked to this idiot).

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Well Henry is back, but hopefully he's toned down. Who knows maybe miracles can happen lol. Brown is gone and so is Kyle Chandler which is fine because those characters seem played out. The Skarsgard lead is gone apparently but that's no great loss.

I've rewatched all of these movies with Theo over the last month. SKULL ISLAND turned out well but I still like Edwards sense of scope and the "bigness" associated with the 2014 film. Sure it got frustrating waiting for the monster reveal but the movie delivered in a big way at the end. He just seemed to have the right eye for composition and making you feel the size of the characters and the impact on the ground you would feel. Skull Island is really pretty solid and the effects by ILM are tremendous in 4k.

Both of those outclass King of the Monsters with its humorless story, one note characters and Michael Doughtery's clumsy, inept staging of the fight scenes. Everything looks like a video game cut scene and plays like it. And how many times did he reprise the same shot of some human standing in front of a monster? Just so bad, it's a wonder the whole franchise didn't die right then and there. It's not often you see audiences vehemently reject that kind of movie so harshly the box office belly flopped before the opening weekend was even over.

Wingard at least got the action going with the first Godzilla Kong, and as ridiculous as it was, it moved quickly and looked good. He got the memo clearly about what NOT to do.

The big issue with Godzilla here is he has no personality in these films. Kids love to root for him but he's just kind of big and imposing whereas Kong has a brain and a personality. ILM did the design on this iteration and he looks perfect. Sounds like they are sticking with the Kong and associated crew more here to pull the dramatic weight and that's understandable.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:21 pm Well Henry is back, but hopefully he's toned down.
:cry:

Every second he was on-screen in GvK, I was thinking...

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

He was terrible but the movie was moving so fast it wasn't nearly the problem the entire cast of King of the Monsters was for me. The dysfunctional family, one-note military ops people and other characters...ugh.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Good lord this looks nuts. :lol:

What's scarier -- Pink Godzilla or Rebecca Hall's haircut?

mkaroly

Re: GODZILLA X KONG - March - Trailer

#9 Post by mkaroly »

I will definitely watch it, but I have to admit I am not high on the concept for a buddy movie between Godzilla and Kong. If I want a buddy-buddy movie I will watch Tango and Cash...lol...I am sure the spectacle will be grandiose and super entertaining. I am skeptical that the human story will be good, but ya never know.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

LOL It's like the Transformers of Godzilla movies.

It's a little disappointing because Theo and I rewatched the 2014 movie a couple of weeks ago and I still think it's the best of all of these Monsterverse films (KONG SKULL ISLAND is a decent 2nd). Edwards' staging of the monster effects is terrific and there's a sense of foreboding that works. The more you see it, the more you get over the "Lucy pulling the ball away from Charlie Brown" element in the first hour too. It clicks, and still delivers an exciting last half-hour of monster effects you can actually follow.

The GODZILLA V KONG flick was silly beyond belief but was OK. This looks like it's going full on more ridiculous with this dumb "Hollow Earth" thing. Why not just bring back Skull and Monster Islands and let aliens abduct everyone?? lol.

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Going this weekend with Theo and Joanne in the deluxe laser projection. And even some of the reviews seem pretty good -- not that they matter. This is the big, modern counterpart to the late '60s/'70s Toho Godzilla movies -- adult fans savored the serious GODZILLA MINUS ONE and now everyone including the kids can go, turn off the brain and watch the "Colorcast" as Tom Snyder used to say.

They even held the budget down (no need for Millie Bobbie Netflix) so the profits will be flowing in for this...

“Godzilla x Kong: New Empire” scored the best preview results of any entry in Legendary’s Monsterverse series, just ahead of 2014’s “Godzilla,” which earned $9.3 million while kicking off this whole scaly saga.

mkaroly

Re: GODZILLA X KONG - The "Colorcast" is Back

#12 Post by mkaroly »

For me, the bar is set extremely low. Lol... :lol:

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

I pretty much loved it and honestly for what it is, it's a perfect kids movie and a throwback to 50s Sci fi where people would go walking through the jungle, find some undiscovered tribe, etc. Except this time in the ridiculous hollow earth setting!

This movie really is a kids film too. There's not even an f bomb or some boring Monarch conspiracy this time to slow it down. Nor is there any gross out violence or some dumb sexual reference. They absolutely knew who the audience was going to be for this film and it's families, kids and old school Godzilla fans. If you're hoping for some dark Gareth Edwards fare that train has left the station.

Wingard does great with the copious monster battles and the Kong "performance" is the best yet...its actually kind of cool watching these creatures get whole scenes to themselves without any humans around..while the human characters are better juggled than any of the prior installments. Obviously Rebecca Hall is still there as a traffic cop to tell you who's where and what monster is doing what, but the stuff between her and the girl works fine. They subbed out the male leads again and Dan Stevens is at least a lot more fun than the Skarsgard guy from the previous movie. By this point I don't even mind Henry who's been dialed back a lot. All of them are better balanced than the painful family bickering of the 2nd Godzilla movie and I'd say the mix and overall tone was more satisfying than the previous movie also. This movie has no pretension but to entertain.

Audience broke into applause when the credits rolled and I had a great time. Between this and Minus One its been the best year to be a Godzilla fan.

Monterey Jack

#14 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 pm I pretty much loved it and honestly for what it is, it's a perfect kids movie and a throwback to 50s Sci fi where people would go walking through the jungle, find some undiscovered tribe, etc. Except this time in the ridiculous hollow earth setting!

This movie really is a kids film too. There's not even an f bomb or some boring Monarch conspiracy this time to slow it down. Nor is there any gross out violence or some dumb sexual reference. They absolutely knew who the audience was going to be for this film and it's families, kids and old school Godzilla fans. If you're hoping for some dark Gareth Edwards fare that train has left the station.
Heartily agreed. :) This was basically a big-budget update of something like The Land That Time Forgot, imminently goofy and hard to resist, with excellent character animation on Kong, nifty monster/ape designs and a truly thrilling climax. It's like the Godzilla/Kong movie I would have written at age twelve while hopped-up on Bottle Caps and Jolt Cola. :lol: Just a non-stop barrage of Oh Hey, That's Cool! gimmickry, with a blessed lack of pretentious social engineering. And I was surprised how many long, human-less sequences there were, with Kong's expressive facial animation and body language more than enough to keep the audience attuned to his inner thoughts. And, thankfully, Brian Tyree Henry is kept in rein here, only allowed to be mildly obnoxious. The only disappointment is -- of course! -- the "music". One only wishes that Bear McCreary was kept on after King Of The Monsters, as that was the only truly good "Monsterverse" score to date. The film's gorgeous visuals would have been such a great canvas for film music thirty or forty years ago. :(
Audience broke into applause when the credits rolled and I had a great time. Between this and Minus One its been the best year to be a Godzilla fan.
Yep, my well-attended, kid-heavy matinee this afternoon also concluded with a hearty round of clapping from the row of kids behind me, and I added my own. This is "Dumb Fun" done right, and the film's series-best opening day box office tally is well-earned.

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

And I was surprised how many long, human-less sequences there were, with Kong's expressive facial animation and body language more than enough to keep the audience attuned to his inner thoughts.
Those scenes were really well done. Basically we're watching a cartoon but it's well designed and Kong's facial expressions are even more diverse in this movie. When you think about it, there's never been a movie like this where the monsters get to be the stars to this degree, carrying whole set-pieces by themselves. I give the director and/or VFX animators a lot of credit for putting it together.

And like you said, when I said it's a "kid's movie," I mean it in the best way. The monsters are the stars, they get to be the heroes. There's some compassion shown by Kong towards a couple of the monsters he meets -- it's not all one-note pounding and fighting. Loved the climax. Still think the whole Hollow Earth thing is absurd but it's ok. Last shot is a crowd pleaser, and the humans don't get in the way. If Rebecca Hall's hair wasn't so horrible I'd say they got the casting completely on target too.

This is kind of the movie that GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS should've been but wasn't thanks to its awful characters and joyless tone (looking back, fans are fortunate the series kept going because that film and its tepid grosses nearly ended this entire revival). Maybe with this movie's success -- and it's going WAY over whatever projection the analysts had for it -- they will pony up the Toho license and bring back Rodan and some of the other classic characters again for the next picture.