Powerhouse Indicator Sale

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Powerhouse Indicator Sale

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Shipping sucks but the prices are great!

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/colle ... e46fc380c9

sprocket

Re: Powerhouse Indicator Sale

#2 Post by sprocket »

Picked up a bunch of the region free releases, as I don't have many Indicators. A mix of curiosities and stuff I've wanted for a while. Many limited editions, too.

Shipping is not too bad for 18 releases @ about £25

Indicator removes VAT, too.

A TIME FOR DYING - LE £7.49
HOFFMAN - LE £7.49
ORPHANS - LE £4.99
THE BRUTE - LE £7.49
SPRING NIGHT SUMMER NIGHT - LE £4.99
THEY MADE ME A FUGITIVE - LE £4.99
SECRET FRIENDS - LE £4.99
IMMACULATE CONCEPTION - LE £4.99
90° IN THE SHADE - LE £4.99
BIRDY - LE £4.99
NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH - LE £4.99
THE MIND OF MR SOAMES - LE £4.99
WHO? - LE £4.99
THE PUMPKIN EATER £4.00
THE SNORKEL £4.00
THE TINGLER £4.00
PREY £4.00
13 GHOSTS £4.00

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

I *really* wish I could get those releases of Midway, MacArthur and Gray Lady Down for the bonus features not on the US Blu Ray versions. But they're alas Region locked and I don't have the player.

Maybe Kino Lorber will reissue those titles with the bonus features since they have a pretty good deal with Universal.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Sprocket's right, the shipping isn't terrible if you are buying a batch - - it's bad if you only want one or two because it starts at 15GBP. But at least the exchange rate is still favorable!

I did pick up The Brute and a number of others including Gray Lady Down.

Very much looking forward to seeing what they do with Dracula when they release it. Also the title I helped them out on 8)

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

I decided to take a chance on getting the three titles I mentioned, plus "Experiment In Terror" and "The Anderson Tapes" which I believe are region-free, because I think I can rip these Blu-Rays to my computer and at least go through the supplements. I've been able to do that with foreign region DVDs in the past.

sprocket

#6 Post by sprocket »

Eric Paddon wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:39 pm I decided to take a chance on getting the three titles I mentioned, plus "Experiment In Terror" and "The Anderson Tapes" which I believe are region-free, because I think I can rip these Blu-Rays to my computer and at least go through the supplements. I've been able to do that with foreign region DVDs in the past.
They have a shortcut at the bottom of the homepage which brings you to a list of region-free titles.

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/colle ... ree-titles
AndyDursin wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:40 pm Very much looking forward to seeing what they do with Dracula when they release it. Also the title I helped them out on 8)
This is exciting news :D

Eric Paddon

#7 Post by Eric Paddon »

Thanks, that confirms "Anderson Tapes" for me which didn't list that in the description unlike "Experiment In Terror." The other three titles I'll take my chance on being able to rip to the computer.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

The Columbia/Sony titles Indicator put out should mostly be region free. Not always but I'd say 90% of them from my own experience. It's the other licensed titles that will be Region B locked, Universal specifically. Midway and Gray Lady Down are both locked.

I know we've recommended region free players before but they are widely available all over the place now like Amazon and Ebay. Beyond that nearly any USA Panasonic can get past a lot of locked Blus by just hitting the top menu button repeatedly though it's not always fool proof.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Region+free+ ... _sb_noss_2

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

One of my favorite Indicator titles - - terrific movie!

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/produ ... ckoning-bd

Eric Paddon

#10 Post by Eric Paddon »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:40 am The Columbia/Sony titles Indicator put out should mostly be region free. Not always but I'd say 90% of them from my own experience. It's the other licensed titles that will be Region B locked, Universal specifically. Midway and Gray Lady Down are both locked.

I know we've recommended region free players before but they are widely available all over the place now like Amazon and Ebay. Beyond that nearly any USA Panasonic can get past a lot of locked Blus by just hitting the top menu button repeatedly though it's not always fool proof.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Region+free+ ... _sb_noss_2
I'll splurge on that only if I can't rip these. I think the one time I ripped a Blu-Ray to get past locked material was "Escape To Athena" which is an oddity in that the film itself is all region but all the bonus material is locked. I was able to rip that to the computer.

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

It wouldn't make any sense for only bonus material to be region locked -- but I'm pretty sure the extras on the Escape to Athena disc were PAL formatted which might account for whatever difficulty you had ripping it.

So many Indicator titles are worthwhile especially in that 3 for 15 sale. Good thing to keep in mind is, even the titles that ARE available in the U.S., many of them are just better presented (i.e. compressed/encoded not to mention the extra features) on the Indicator releases. THE ANDERSON TAPES would be one of those instances since it's in a mediocre Mill Creek double feature (which I think is now out of print) domestically. Then there are some instances like REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN which has an appreciably better, newer master in Indicator's release than the disc Mill Creek brought out here, which was derived from an older, uglier master Sony had licensed to them (apparently they did not have access to Indicator's).

Eric Paddon

#12 Post by Eric Paddon »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:58 pm It wouldn't make any sense for only bonus material to be region locked -- but I'm pretty sure the extras on the Escape to Athena disc were PAL formatted which might account for whatever difficulty you had ripping it.

So many Indicator titles are worthwhile especially in that 3 for 15 sale. Good thing to keep in mind is, even the titles that ARE available in the U.S., many of them are just better presented (i.e. compressed/encoded not to mention the extra features) on the Indicator releases. THE ANDERSON TAPES would be one of those instances since it's in a mediocre Mill Creek double feature (which I think is now out of print) domestically. Then there are some instances like REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN which has an appreciably better, newer master in Indicator's release than the disc Mill Creek brought out here, which was derived from an older, uglier master Sony had licensed to them (apparently they did not have access to Indicator's).
Of course with my luck, Kino may reissue the three Universal films themselves with the bonus content soon! It wasn't long after I bought the South American King Kong 76 Blu Ray (with its bizarre retention of the music adjusted to PAL speed-up) that Shout! came out with its definitive version.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

You're probably good Eric. GRAY LADY DOWN was released very recently by Shout so you know that's not getting revisited again anytime soon (if ever). And I may be wrong but Kino hasn't seemed interested in revisiting Universal titles that have been "released at retail" from Universal themselves, and are still in-print. Maybe if they were doing new scans of MIDWAY and MacARTHUR on 4K it'd be one thing (though I doubt very much those would be UHD's they'd want to release), but their Universal titles, at least the Blu-Rays, are mostly comprised of Universal catalog titles that haven't been released before in the format.

Also, Kino seldom "trades" supplemental content with other boutique labels -- it happens on occasion but usually pretty rarely -- so my guess is you're safe on MIDWAY and MacARTHUR. They've also shown no interest in releasing alternate TV versions (I've offered them some of mine at times on a bunch of titles and they weren't interested).

The odd thing on the Indicator MIDWAY is they did not include the John Williams interview for some specific reason they never spelled out (did he say the word "Oriental" or something? Whatever it seemed along those lines and they didn't want to make a big deal out of it).
It wasn't long after I bought the South American King Kong 76 Blu Ray (with its bizarre retention of the music adjusted to PAL speed-up) that Shout! came out with its definitive version.
Even that's not about to be definitive for long! 4K UHD coming out internationally:

https://www.fnac.com/a17211881/King-Kon ... earchpos=2

Eric Paddon

#14 Post by Eric Paddon »

I guess it would be up to Shout! to do another US Blu-Ray release of "Midway" and "MacArthur". They at least came up with the TV cuts of "Earthquake" and "Two Minute Warning".

If I am able to rip to my computer I'd then be able to reconvert back to a regular Blu-Ray disc. I've done that with other foreign region DVDs.

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

That'd be more likely than Kino. Still I doubt MIDWAY and especially MacARTHUR would be popular enough catalog titles to warrant re-releasing. I'd expect EARTHQUAKE is a much more popular title than those.