Variety Posts, Then Deletes, Jennifer Lawrence Interview Claiming "No Female Action Heroes Existed Before HUNGER GAMES"

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Variety Posts, Then Deletes, Jennifer Lawrence Interview Claiming "No Female Action Heroes Existed Before HUNGER GAMES"

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

But here it is for your enjoyment.

I have to say.. Lawrence has lost much of her initial appeal and has stayed in the Hollywood bubble too long.

Based on these comments, she's also an idiot.

Monterey Jack

Re: Variety Posts, Then Deletes, Jennifer Lawrence Interview Claiming "No Female Action Heroes Existed Before HUNGER GAM

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

I guess we all hallucinated Ripley, Sarah Connor, The Bride, and the collected works of Michelle Yeoh. :roll:

Then again, Lawrence is hardly the only one claiming that things didn't happen prior to ten years ago. Look at how Disney puffs their chests out with pride with ridiculous claims of Black Panther being "The first superhero movie with a black lead!" (ignoring a trilogy of Blade movies with Wesley Snipes), or how Captain Marvel was "The first superhero movie with a female lead!" (ignoring Wonder Woman and...uhhh, Barb Wire and the Halle Berry Catwoman :lol: ).

Monterey Jack

Re: Variety Posts, Then Deletes, Jennifer Lawrence Interview Claiming "No Female Action Heroes Existed Before HUNGER GAM

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:15 am
I have to say.. Lawrence has lost much of her initial appeal and has stayed in the Hollywood bubble too long.
Remember how UBIQUITOUS she was ten years ago? And now her career is basically stalled out at the ripe old age of...uhhh, 32. :? Of course, starring in dogsh!t like Don't Look Up doesn't help. She used to be vivacious and unpretentious (and curvier! :)), but now she's become a chiding bore.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks it too. Lost a LOT of weight, and does the usual thing of trashing her "Nazi parents" because they still vote Republican. It's like they start to transform out there after a certain amount of time.
Then again, Lawrence is hardly the only one claiming that things didn't happen prior to ten years ago.
True but even under those circumstances -- of a generation who thinks the only history that matters is their own 20 year life cycle -- I can't think of a more ignorant comment than this one. Like she was literally the first actress ever to carry an action movie? Is she really THAT dumb? Maybe she is. Either way Variety had to take the video down because of the response. :lol:

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

She's not the first coveted young ingenue to develop a "My sh!t doesn't stink" attitude, and, sadly, won't be the last. :( Ten years ago she had two major franchise characters under her belt and starred in acclaimed, profitable dramas like The Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle, but, aside from Don't Look Up (which I hated), I can't remember the last movie she was in. :? Apparently she has some micro A24 thing coming up, but I have no idea of the title or what it's about.
Last edited by Monterey Jack on Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:39 am Look at how Disney puffs their chests out with pride with ridiculous claims of Black Panther being "The first superhero movie with a black lead!" (ignoring a trilogy of Blade movies with Wesley Snipes), or how Captain Marvel was "The first superhero movie with a female lead!" (ignoring Wonder Woman and...uhhh, Barb Wire and the Halle Berry Catwoman :lol: ).
It's like those people who think Pinar Toprak and Hildur Guonadottir are the first women composers to "break the glass ceiling". News outlets (like CBC) even proclaimed Guonadottir was "the first woman to win the Academy Award for Best Score".

Yet here is Anne Dudley (in 1999!)...

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:44 am It's like those people who think Pinar Toprak and Hildur Guonadottir are the first women composers to "break the glass ceiling". News outlets (like CBC) even proclaimed Guonadottir was "the first woman to win the Academy Award for Best Score".

Yet here is Anne Dudley (in 1999!)...

To say nothing of Rachel Portman in 1995...!

It's a crying shame Shirley Walker died so young...she might have gotten a career boost by scoring something like Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman, less due to her prodigious talents as an action/superhero composer, and more due to her gender. :roll:

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:51 am True but even under those circumstances -- of a generation who thinks the only history that matters is their own 20 year life cycle -- I can't think of a more ignorant comment than this one.
It's strange that, in an era where it's easier and cheaper than ever to delve into the cinema of the past (often in stunning HD quality), a generation of under-25s refuse to acknowledge anything that occured prior to roughly the year 2000. :x God knows if Netflix and other streaming platforms existed in 1990, I would have been absorbing classic cinema at a prodigious rate even as a teen. Even if I heard of a classic movie I wanted to see, there was often no way to get access to it, unless it was a fuzzy, pan & scan VHS tape with bad tracking or a random TV showing.

Eric Paddon

#9 Post by Eric Paddon »

I think it also stems from the fact that these crazy loonies of the Left go through life feeling unfulfilled if they don't have SOMETHING to protest, or SOMETHING which can make them feel like they were some kind of "pioneer" or "trailblazer." These people would go batty if they actually had to recognize that an equal society largely exists now and that there are a lot of things out there that aren't a problem any longer and haven't been for a long time. It's the same reason why we have race hustlers too spouting the same tiresome crap as if America is still like the 1950s South because those charlatans would lose their whole reason for existing if they had to acknowledge we are a racially equal society on most levels of importance. Lawrence is someone who thinks her life needs meaning if she's "done something" and hence that's why they purposefully ignore the historical record that's right there in black and white to tell them there is no such problem any longer.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes, it's like they think they're living in the 50s and breaking glass ceilings...which have already been broken. Over and over.

Monterey Jack

#12 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:08 pm Yes, it's like they think they're living in the 50s and breaking glass ceilings...which have already been broken. Over and over.
And let's face it...being paid millions of dollars to play a fantasy character on the big screen is a far cry from Rosa Parks refusing to move to the back of the bus. :lol:

Paul MacLean

#13 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric Paddon wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:40 pm These people would go batty if they actually had to recognize that an equal society largely exists now and that there are a lot of things out there that aren't a problem any longer and haven't been for a long time.
It's clear to me that a lot of people fighting for "social justice" are more interested in the fight than achieving an actual victory -- because winning the fight would rob them of purpose and render them obsolete.

Instead they continue to "raise awareness" and proclaim our culture is just as racist and sexist as it was in 1850. I mean, look at the way they they've started invoking the word "colonization" (in reference to perceived social transgressions) in just the past few years.

mkaroly

#14 Post by mkaroly »

It's sad to me that Lawrence would say something like that. Says a lot about what she thinks about her own self and how she prefers her own delusions to reality. But then again, Hollywood is all about delusion and illusion...and as Andy said, she (and many others) have been in the bubble too long. They can't see beyond the bubble's borders. Sad.