"Spielberg's Flop Era" - Telegraph Editorial

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

"Spielberg's Flop Era" - Telegraph Editorial

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Fairly astute analysis of Spielberg's pretty dismal last couple of decades, culminating most recently in THE FABELMANS failure to connect with viewers.

I also thoroughly agree with this writer's analysis of Michelle Williams, who has been "acting!" ever since she left DAWSON'S CREEK. Has always come off for me as a bubblegum actress trying to pretend she's some kind of "artist".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2023/ ... r-recover/
Take The Fabelmans. From one perspective, it’s another technically impressive achievement that has led some critics to describe it as the director’s finest work to date. Drawing heavily on Spielberg’s younger life growing up in Sixties California, and exploring everything from his burgeoning interest in filmmaking to his complex relationships with his pianist mother and computer engineer father, it’s intelligent, beautifully made and, as ever with Spielberg, impeccably cast, especially in the role of Sammy Fabelman, his teenage alter ego, as played by Gabriel LaBelle.

Yet it’s also self-indulgent, punishingly overlong at a running time of two and a half hours, and given to melodramatic excesses, not least in the casting of Michelle Williams as Sammy’s frustrated mother, who gives the kind of performance that polarises audiences. Some will find it brave and affecting, while others will view it as over-the-top, self-conscious ‘Acting’. She, too, has been nominated for an Oscar; big performances often gain this kind of recognition.

In either case, the nominations that the film has received will be too late to help its commercial fortunes. On a relatively modest budget of $40 million, the film has flopped heavily, making a mere $21.7 million at the box office to date. Given its strongly American-centric perspective, it is unlikely to be a particular commercial success internationally, and so joins Spielberg’s last film West Side Story ($76 million total gross, $100 million budget) as a flop.

mkaroly

Re: "Spielberg's Flop Era" - Telegraph Editorial

#2 Post by mkaroly »

Funny, but the way she describes Michelle Williams sounds a lot like the way Sally Field acted in LINCOLN...I thought she tried too hard in that movie and she really stuck out like a sore thumb. I have no intention of seeing THE FABELMANS as it looks super pretentious...it also sounds like I may have the same issues with Michelle Williams as I did with Sally Field...and "ain't nobody got time for that!"

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Agreed Michael.

I don't need to rehash my thoughts on Spielberg, the guy's work was so good for so long. But at some point he's tailed off and even movies that were supposed to be "fun" like the mediocre READY PLAYER ONE and flaccid BFG aren't; genre films he could rely on, like WAR OF THE WORLDS and the fourth INDY movie, were both disappointments. (I forgot about TINTIN which fits in the same category). When the best thing you've made is the solid but not spectacular BRIDGE OF SPIES in the last 18 years (though I never thought MUNICH was a "great" movie either) it speaks to a lowering of quality that's hard to deny. (And I didn't like THE WAR HORSE either!)

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

I plead guilty to liking a few of his late period films: WAR HORSE, LINCOLN, BRIDGE OF SPIES. I have yet to watch READY PLAYER ONE...just can't get up the gumption to watch it. And I am not watching WEST SIDE STORY - absolutely zero interest in that.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

The only "flop" Spielberg movies have come post-Covid. In the 2010s, even his "boring adult movies" like Lincoln ($65 million budget, $275 mil gross) Bridge Of Spies ($40/$165) and The Post ($50/$179) have been profitable. All on the heads of lazy people who refuse to go out for a night's entertainment anymore, mainly anyone over the age of 45. :?

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

"Flop" may have a different definition in the context of that article, you're totally right his movies don't often LOSE money. Spielberg has long been a fiscally responsible filmmaker, historically. Still, the fact which I'd argue is his films have been playing to diminishing audiences for years -- well before COVID. I mean, sheer profitability is a different measuring stick for a guy who was routinely turning out some of the highest grossing, most beloved movies of all time. It's safe to say it's been many, many years since Spielberg made one of those.

Also, saying none of his movies have ever lost money -- that's not true. MUNICH didn't recoup its costs. AMISTAD didn't either. THE BFG was an outright bomb, probably the biggest of his career (1941 turned a profit!). I love EMPIRE OF THE SUN but I'm not sure it did anything better than break even. READY PLAYER ONE cost a lot and didn't do that well in the U.S., with a huge chunk of its international gross coming from China, so I don't know how successful it was in the grand scheme of things. And then there's TINTIN, which was supposed to start a whole franchise for Spielberg and Peter Jackson...which never happened (with good reason!).

This extends back a long while though. Even MINORITY REPORT was a letdown commercially, being billed in pre-release hype like it was supposed to be the next RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK -- Spielberg doing sci-fi with Tom Cruise? Some people expected it to be like the biggest movie EVER. They had video games and heavy promotional tie-ins everywhere. And no, the movie didn't lose money -- but it also wasn't anywhere near what they thought it was going to be.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

There's just been a lot of "What have you done for me lately?" rhetoric about Spielberg's last two movies flopping, when the man has made consistently profitable movies for the last FIFTY YEARS. :? If Corona didn't cripple the idea of adult moviegoers going out to theaters to see films, West Side Story and The Fabelmans would have at least done Bridge Of Spies-level solid business. It didn't help that that latter film only went "wide" in...600 theaters over the Thanksgiving weekend, and was dumped on VOD after 18 days. :x A shocking level of disrespect for a director of Spielberg's stature.

In the end, though, he has zero to "prove" to anyone. He's one of the greatest directors of all time, and is still turning out vivid, exceptional movies at the age of 75(!). West Side Story, in particular, is just magnificent, a movie any director would be proud to call his own. And it was his first musical ever!

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

I don't possess the same level of enthusiasm about his work, as you know. I was dubious about WEST SIDE STORY's commercial prospects from the beginning, it was a no-win situation for him, though obviously at the height of the Christmas Covid paranoia it never had a chance commercially and would've done better a few years prior. I can acknowledge that, though I still thought it was a confounding directorial choice for him from the day it was announced. Not in terms of genre -- I wanted him to make a musical -- but that it had already been done before (much less arguably the most popular Broadway show and ensuing film version of all-time).

Spielberg's big mistake in hindsight was not making PETER PAN as a musical with Williams as he intended, back in his golden days, and doing HOOK a couple of years later instead, with some of the songs reconfigured as score for the movie and this pretentious "yuppie-child" contemporary story thrown into it. I think that was one of the few real blunders he made in the 70s and 80s.

THE FABELMANS, though, was going to have a hard time finding an audience in any box-office climate. To me, a movie like that was never going to do BRIDGE OF SPIES type business. Zero stars, a subject matter that does hold widespread appeal -- his best chance of making that work commercially was back when people were buzzing about his work and every film he made was still an event. Plus bankable actors to get people in the door -- back in the 80s and 90s when stars still did such things to make "difficult" subject matter workable in terms of commercial prospects.

Either way, the movie itself, honestly, isn't all that good. Didn't hate it, but didn't much care for it, much like Michelle Williams' performance.

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

Autobiographical movies have always been hit and miss -- at least for me. I loved American Graffiti and Radio Days, but really disliked Hope and Glory, Mean Streets and Belfast.

As far as Spielberg's work over the past two decades, I quite liked War Horse. I thought the The Terminal and Bridge of Spies were very good. I felt Munich had some good moments, and some not-so-good moments (like the embarrassing sex scene, as well as the film's refusal to take a side). I disliked War of the Worlds, The BFG and Indiana Jones 4. I found Lincoln a convoluted mess.

I'd say most people are in agreement that Spielberg's early films are his best -- Jaws, CE3K, Raiders and E.T. -- and his work declined after that. Temple of Doom is very uneven, I find The Color Purple and Always contrived and stilted. There were flashes of the "old Spielberg" over the years -- as in Last Crusade and Jurassic Park, and I consider Amistad his most profound film (I've never understood the tepid reaction it received -- compared to the overrated Saving Private Ryan). I thought A.I. was awful, and Minority Report sufficiently entertaining but not very memorable.

I suppose every artist's body of work is "hit and miss", but with Spielberg, you can trace a general ebbing on inspiration over the decades.

I also feel his work from the past three decades is greatly marred by Janusz Kaminski's ugly, and often bizarre, photography...

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Kaminski's work is a turnoff for me, and I've long felt much of Spielberg's output likewise declined once he began working solely with him. His films from that point certainly don't possess the same warm visuals of his early work (like the difference between JURASSIC PARK and THE LOST WORLD).

mkaroly

#11 Post by mkaroly »

Totally forgot about THE TERMINAL - I like that late period work too...and the score is outstanding!
MUNICH (aside from the cringe-worthy sex scene) is one I have enjoyed watching several times, especially when one looks at the film from the perspective of what he does with his typical family subtext themes.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

THE TERMINAL isn't a great movie but I've long been a big fan of Williams' score. Probably the most "recent" score of his that I regularly play.

jkholm

#13 Post by jkholm »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:06 am THE TERMINAL isn't a great movie but I've long been a big fan of Williams' score. Probably the most "recent" score of his that I regularly play.
I re-watched THE TERMINAL recently for the first time since its theatrical release and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. A funny and warm commentary on the power of community. It's a great example of Spielberg's ability to direct in a manner that's subtle, yet still captivating. There's not a boring shot or uninteresting composition in the whole film. Even Kaminski's cinematography is...normal. (Unlike the last time I watched MINORITY REPORT and thought there was something wrong with my TV.)

Definitely agree on the score.