Hollywood Self-Implosion with Actors Going On Strike

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Hollywood Self-Implosion with Actors Going On Strike

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

We've not really talked about the writer's strike, but the fact the actors are seemingly about to as well -- well, it's going to be another notch in the demise of Hollywood. I can't even begin to understand the rationale for this coming after COVID with the theatrical marketplace being in the shape that it's in.

This is going to impact the business in the same way that COVID will, with a lack of product going into theaters that are struggling to maintain consistent weekly attendance as it is -- yes a "big movie" here and there still makes money, but I can't imagine if you are a theater owner how your overall business is compared to 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago, etc.

As for the industry -- if you are in L.A. this is going to be an economy killer. Big time. To say nothing of, from a viewer's standpoint, a lack of product coming your way.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/actors-str ... 235436031/

Monterey Jack

Re: Hollywood Self-Implosion with Actors Going On Strike

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Considering the literal PENNIES writers, F/X artists and actors make compared to the billions hoovered up by the studio execs, this is an enema that Hollywood's needed for a long time. :? I mean, it sucks for the industry, but it had to happen.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Well, they aren't going to have much of an industry really if this goes through. Theaters are on a lifeline, this is going to KILL movies for YEARS to come because production is just going to stop.

I feel for the people on the bottom who don't make much, but I am not sure if it's really a battle about "pennies" the more I read about it. And the reality is so much of their product sucks, this notion that AI would write a worse script than some of the stuff we've seen...they've been making movies as if they've been written by "AI" already for YEARS. These 'writer's room' scripts cobbled together and filtered through studio executives and focus groups are basically a mishmash of ideologies, thoughts, sensibilities -- just like AI would produce most likely.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Bob Iger says the demands are 'unrealistic' and are coming at the worst possible time for the industry with unforseen 'disruptions' to come.

Good luck to them, doing this right now with a fractured marketplace as it is.

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

They haven't recovered from COVID and now this? Good luck. I think some of these people are going to find out how far AI has come and how expendable they are. The vast bulk of their output is horrible so it's not going to take much.

I do question the timing of what appears to be a "strike season" in the making.

I'm more concerned about the possibility of a UPS strike by the end of the month. This lot can stay on strike for the rest of the year and find out how much they are worth.

See: https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/14/economy/ ... index.html How far and wide is this going to go? At least it isn't Christmas time.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

The "red carpet" premiere for The Haunted Mansion...with zero stars in attendance. :lol:

Paul MacLean

#7 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:39 am I feel for the people on the bottom who don't make much, but I am not sure if it's really a battle about "pennies" the more I read about it.
I have friends who are Hollywood writers, and I think they have a legitimate grievance when the average writer makes $69,510 a year, and Bob Iger is paid $74,175 a day.
And the reality is so much of their product sucks, this notion that AI would write a worse script than some of the stuff we've seen...they've been making movies as if they've been written by "AI" already for YEARS. These 'writer's room' scripts cobbled together and filtered through studio executives and focus groups are basically a mishmash of ideologies, thoughts, sensibilities -- just like AI would produce most likely.

Screenwriting in Hollywood has always been hard calling. Writers continually see their scripts re-written, with endings changed, clever plotting dumbed-down, characters altered beyond recognition, etc.

My favorite example is the sappy Up Close and Personal -- which actually began life as a script about the life of Jessica Savitch.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

I'd imagine there's a lot of variance in being a writer in Hollywood. If you are penning movie screenplays that sell and are involved with movies grossing $1 billion that's a whole lot different than someone writing episodes of I CARLY.

As much as I am not a fan of Iger or Disney, my guess is there's more truth than not in what he's saying. I also have a problem when the actor's strike is being lead by these major ticket stars making millions of dollars, who can easily stay out of work with no issue, when the day-to-day crew person is going to be out of work as a result of this action -- whether it's right or wrong -- and whose paychecks aren't nearly that. Much/some of what's driving this are seemingly "likeness" payment issues which probably relate to the 0.01% of top-line stars.

Either way, I definitely wouldn't want to be a theater owner. This could well be the final nail in the coffin to a deflated marketplace that hasn't recovered from covid. No stars are going to premieres? Well, soon nobody will be going to the movies, because there won't be any.

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:19 pm Either way, I definitely wouldn't want to be a theater owner. This could well be the final nail in the coffin to a deflated marketplace that hasn't recovered from covid. No stars are going to premieres? Well, soon nobody will be going to the movies, because there won't be any.
And when you compare the box office (and budget!) of Dial of Destiny vs. Sound of Freedom, I wonder if the independents are going to take over.

Especially these days, when Steven Soderbergh has shown you can shoot a feature on an iPhone...

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

Someone on Twitter made the point that, when the studio system imploded in the 1960s due to too many bloated productions like Cleopatra virtually bankrupting their studios, the result was the golden age of smart, low-budget, auteur-driven cinema of the 1970s. One could only hope that something similar could rise out of the ashes of a post-Covid, post-strike world. 8)

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

You'd think seeing how amazingly well SOUND OF FREEDOM has performed that Hollywood would be interested in making topical sorts of films again, but something tells me the system has permanently changed and they're only interested really in "Franchise Cinema".

Monterey Jack

#12 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:18 am You'd think seeing how amazingly well SOUND OF FREEDOM has performed that Hollywood would be interested in making topical sorts of films again, but something tells me the system has permanently changed and they're only interested really in "Franchise Cinema".
Considering how many overpriced "sure thing" franchise movies have bombed or else seriously underperformed this summer (Indy 5, The Flash, Fast X, even the widely-liked Dead Reckoning), I wouldn't be surprised if that whole system of chasing billion-dollar grosses might not be teetering on the edge. Something's gotta change. We've gotta burn it all down and hope something better rises from the ashes.

mkaroly

#13 Post by mkaroly »

Having a hard time finding sympathy for actors and actresses striking over AI...just not there for me.

Monterey Jack

#14 Post by Monterey Jack »

mkaroly wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:40 pm Having a hard time finding sympathy for actors and actresses striking over AI...just not there for me.
How would you like your likeness digitized and used to make studios money for years, even after you died? With none of that money going to you or your heirs? I remember, 20 years ago, Jet Li turning down a role in the Matrix sequels because he didn't want his face and fight moves digitized for the gain of others. The man saw the future...

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

It's a legit issue for some, I just question whether or not it's worth causing irreparable damage to the entire industry when it's only the most elite of the superstars who are going to be involved in a dispute over likenesses.
Monterey Jack wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:42 am
Considering how many overpriced "sure thing" franchise movies have bombed or else seriously underperformed this summer (Indy 5, The Flash, Fast X, even the widely-liked Dead Reckoning), I wouldn't be surprised if that whole system of chasing billion-dollar grosses might not be teetering on the edge. Something's gotta change. We've gotta burn it all down and hope something better rises from the ashes.
I agree, but I just have no faith in them to see that through, and the problem is theaters are going to end up in ashes with a lack of product.

It's also worth noting that while they may have been pegged as "sure things" every one of those series is an old franchise -- Indy 5, Fast 10, Mission Impossible 8, Super Hero Movie #1,234 -- and nothing lasts forever. Tastes change, viewing habits change. Every series eventually ends, even James Bond has to press the reset button and take an extended hiatus at certain times. The problem is Hollywood hasn't cultivated anything fresh to replace aging IPs and wants to continuously hit the same notes over and over while the audience and how they go to the movies -- and what they chose to see -- has been fractured. Attendance is still declining.

It's just the worst possible time to be doing this, with permanent consequences looming as a result. :|