WARRIORS 4K UHD Coming From Arrow

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

WARRIORS 4K UHD Coming From Arrow

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

This wasn't the big one I was talking about....but it's pretty dang great!

Andy B knew it... 8)

Monterey Jack

Re: WARRIORS 4K UHD Coming From Arrow

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Nice! I'll still hold onto the Aussie set for its collection of exclusive extras (and great packaging), but this is very enticing news. It's the kid of movie that ought to look awesome in 4K, and giving the viewer the option of the theatrical cut is great. :)

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Well, if there was no option, Arrow wouldn't be doing this release to begin with. The Director's Cut -- which I see is now being referred to as the "2005 Alternate Version" -- is basically a throwaway in this release. :mrgreen:
Exclusive new 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the 2005 Alternate Version of the film sourced from the original camera negative, supervised by Arrow Films and approved by director Walter Hill

4K Ultra HD (2160p) Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of both versions of the film
Theatrical Cut presented in original aspect ratio of 1.85:1 for the first time on home video

Original uncompressed mono, plus stereo 2.0 and Dolby Atmos audio options for the Theatrical Cut, plus stereo 2.0 and DTS-HD MA 5.1 for the 2005 Alternate Version

Optional English Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

100-page perfect-bound collector's book containing new writing by film critic Dennis Cozzalio plus select archival material

Limited Edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring two pieces of original artwork

Double-sided fold-out poster featuring two pieces of original artwork

6 postcard-sized reproduction artcards

Gang logo stickers

DISC 1: THEATRICAL CUT (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)

New audio commentary by film critic Walter Chaw, author of A Walter Hill Film

War Stories, a new interview with director Walter Hill

A new roundtable discussion in which filmmakers Josh Olson (A History of Violence), Lexi Alexander (Green Street), and Robert D. Kryzkowski (The Man Who Killed Hitler and then Bigfoot) discuss their love of The Warriors and the work of director Walter Hill

Battling Boundaries, a new interview with editor Billy Weber

Gang Style, a new interview with costume designer Bobbie Mannix

Armies of the Night, a new exclusive look at costume designs and photographs from the archive of designer Bobbie Mannix

Sound of the Streets, a new appreciation of composer Barry De Vorzon and the music of The Warriors by film historian Neil Brand

Isolated score option

Come Out to Play, a new look at the iconic locations of the Warriors' Coney Island home turf

The Beginning, an archival extra looking back on how The Warriors came to be, featuring interviews with producer Lawrence Gordon, actor James Remar, editor David Holden and writer/director Walter Hill

Battleground, an archival extra in which director Walter Hill and assistant director David O. Sosna look back at the difficulties of shooting on location in New York City

The Way Home, an archival extra focusing on the look of film with contributions from director of photography Andrew Laszlo

The Phenomenon, an archival extra featuring director Walter Hill and the cast of The Warriors

Theatrical trailer

Image gallery

DISC 2: 2005 ALTERNATE VERSION

Archive introduction by director Walter Hill
I may just buy the original art version (US exclusive).

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Rough day for Imprint owners...the horrific DAY OF THE LOCUST disc they issued is being replaced by a fresh remaster (badly needed). Not a movie I cared for, but for those who want to see it, this will be a massive improvement.

And for the CHUCKY fans, this definitive set looks sweet...(UK only obviously with Shout doing all the individual releases here)

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:14 am This wasn't the big one I was talking about....but it's pretty dang great!

Andy B knew it... 8)

London. Greatest City in the world.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

Sadly, it's been reported that the "theatrical cut" has some added digital zooms, so it's in effect no longer the theatrical cut. :?

Good thing I picked up the Aussie set...

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Nah, I definitely wouldn't go there. You really want to watch a crappier old transfer just because of, what, 1 or 2 shots that comprise 1 or 2 seconds? Honestly I didn't notice them while I watched it -- I challenge even casual fans of the movie to have noticed it -- so it wasn't an issue for me. Beyond that it certainly doesn't seem like this is a big deal of any kind. Reading the Blu-ray.com thread it looks like a couple of OCD people who are now going to start screaming this is the end of the world. But what are they comparing it to -- the DVD? Who's to say that's correct?

I don't know what the deal is, but the choice here is pretty easy: appreciate all the gains in Arrow's magnificent 4K transfer -- better colors, details, and contrasts -- or go back to an old 1080p master without the HDR and Dolby Vision and the crappier encoding of the Imprint (or the Vudu/Itunes streaming master)...

...all for a couple of seconds of differently framed shots? Which, again, most normal people wouldn't even see as a problem?

Easy choice what version I'm going to watch.

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

Someone pointed out this humorous, all-caps mistake in the booklet... :lol:

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Good proofreaders are hard to find!! :lol: