Disney & Lightstorm The Abyss, Aliens, True Lies 4K

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Disney & Lightstorm The Abyss, Aliens, True Lies 4K

#1 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

Monterey Jack

Re: Disney & Lightstorm The Abyss, Aliens, True Lies 4K

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

I'll believe these are actually happening when I'm holding copies in my hands. :lol:

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

It's for real this time. (Hey Bill Hunt nailed it, like 10 years after he initially claimed :lol:

This is the guy working on them...interesting comments in the thread about Disney (no they don't care really about physical media despite having "lots of 4K assets" in their catalog that are ready-made for release) and such.

These are getting a release because of Cameron's cache. There's no floodgate of Fox titles coming down the road after them though, but at least they're including everything you could hope for in terms of multiple cuts etc.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

It never should never have taken this long.

Same here: I'll believe it when they are here at my house.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

They are coming, they have dates -- and artwork too.

Should be up for preorder next week.

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

I am shocked that True Lies is getting worked on. I figured this film would never see the light of day again without making some kind of change to it based on the subject matter.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Disney sent me the 4K codes for these, which are now available on streaming platforms everywhere for sale -- and while it's great to have them available, sadly they all have a level of digital noise reduction that's unavoidable.

I mean, ALIENS was always gritty looking and detailed -- that's been covered over by what certainly appears like a level of "smoothness" and unnatural looking detail. It's filtered. So are THE ABYSS and TRUE LIES.

You get gains in high dynamic range across all three and since two of them didn't make it to Blu-Ray before you have no choice but to accept them -- but they are not natural looking, filmic presentations. More like trying to fit all 3 of these films into the realm of the smeary-glossy mess TERMINATOR 2's 4K transfer had. It's especially evident with ALIENS, but it's also clear this is what Cameron wants his catalog to look like.

The extras are also available -- it looks like Laurent Bouzereau conducted interviews for THE ABYSS and TRUE LIES literally over a DECADE ago as he's credited with "additional interviews" and there are "new" interviews marked 2012 on them. These have been incorporated into newly formed documentary segments with Cameron, which were clearly shot in the same room at the same time, probably when he was taking a day off from AVATAR 6.

Edmund Kattak

#8 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Interesting article on physical media.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/oppe ... TC_JDdIOpI
Indeed,
Ed

John Johnson

#9 Post by John Johnson »

Finally, we’ve learned from industry sources that the 4K Ultra HD release of James Cameron’s The Abyss (1989) in the UK has been cancelled, and for exactly the reason you think—the scene in which the rat is made to breath underwater. UK censors asked for the scene to be cut, Disney apparently wanted to comply, but Lightstorm vetoed it. So if you want this title in 4K and you live in the UK, you’ll have to import it from elsewhere.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 22623-1600

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

This is the same country that edited The Matrix not for the endless machine gun violence, but to excise a couple of headbutts. :roll:

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

What a shock Disney wants to comply. The most anti filmmaker studio in Hollywood history always with money dominating every decision.

John Johnson

#12 Post by John Johnson »

Monterey Jack wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:35 pm This is the same country that edited The Matrix not for the endless machine gun violence, but to excise a couple of headbutts. :roll:
The same thing happened on The Mummy Returns.