New Star Wars director

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

New Star Wars director

#1 Post by Paul MacLean »

I am all for women directors (Sofia Coppola has done great work), I'm all for non-white directors (Antoine Fuqua is awesome), and in fact I consider Akira Kurosawa the greatest director of all time.

But -- again -- this is Lucasfilm hiring a director with negligible experience in "high concept" pictures, because she merely ticks the right diversity boxes.

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy to direct one of three new Star Wars films

Published On 8 Apr 20238 Apr 2023

Pakistan-born Oscar-winning director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy is set to become the first woman and person of colour to direct a Star Wars film.

Studio executives on Friday announced three new Star Wars movies are in the making, with the first slated for release in 2025.

Obaid-Chinoy will direct a film set 15 years after the end of the last movie, starring British actor Daisy Ridley as she returns to the role of Rey, the heroine of the last trilogy, which wound up in 2019 to mixed reviews.

The new film will follow Rey’s efforts to revive the Jedi order.

Obaid-Chinoy, who has two Oscars for documentaries denouncing violence against women, said she was “drawn to the hero’s journey” in the Star Wars universe.

“I spent the better part of my lifetime meeting real heroes who are overcoming oppressive regimes and battling impossible odds, and I think that’s the heart of Star Wars,” she said.

Obaid-Chinoy directed last year’s Ms Marvel television series featuring a Muslim superhero.

Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, the studio bought by Disney in 2012, said each of the three films would cover different periods in the Star Wars narrative. And each will have a different director.

James Mangold, himself a two-time Oscar nominee, will helm another of the films after directing the latest in the Indiana Jones series, which is set for release later this year.

His film will look at the origins of the Jedi order, thousands of years before the original storyline.

And the third film will be directed by Dave Filoni, an old hand in the Stars Wars universe, having produced several television series including the wildly successful The Mandalorian, now in its third season.

Fans at the convention also got a first view of US actress Rosario Dawson in the role of Ahsoka, a female Jedi warrior who first appeared in an animated series.

The character has been such as hit with the Star Wars fanbase that she has graduated to a television series, out in August.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/8 ... wars-films

And as I heard someone point out the other day -- if they want to make a Star Wars movie with a strong heroic woman, they should bring back Gina Carano.

Monterey Jack

Re: New Star Wars director

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:08 pm I am all for women directors (Sofia Coppola has done great work), I'm all for non-white directors (Antoine Fuqua is awesome), and in fact I consider Akira Kurosawa the greatest director of all time.

But -- again -- this is Lucasfilm hiring a director with negligible experience in "high concept" pictures, because she merely ticks the right diversity boxes.
You knuckle-dragging sexist...! :P

Look for some experienced, stinky-male second-unit or stunt director to be brought in to mop up in reshoots when the action sequences aren't up to snuff, just like Birds Of Prey.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

FFS... :x

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Disney the last corporation on the planet to give up this DEI garbage. Apparently they will never learn that this is what the public has been exhausted by over the last 3-5 years.

Oh and the FEMINIST STAR WARS "slant" already started when KATHLEEN KENNEDY took over Lucasfilm over a DECADE AGO. So there's nothing "fresh" here -- in fact it's just more of the same ideological tropes they've been using for years already.

The good news for her is few men will even go to this movie so she needn't focus on making them "uncomfortable". :twisted:

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:40 pm Disney the last corporation on the planet to give up this DEI garbage. Apparently they will never learn that this is what the public has been exhausted by over the last 3-5 years.
Doomcock made the astute observation in another recent video that studios trying to stop chasing the Woke are like ocean liners trying to turn around and alter their course...they're so massive, and have so much momentum, it's gonna take a while. Thus, we're gonna see so much more of this sh!t well into 2024 before these studios finally get it through their thick skulls that audiences want ENTERTAINMENT, not a chiding social conditioning seminar, when they see a movie. :roll:

Here's what someone had to say about Nimona recently, my reply, and the obligatory pearl-clutching response...
Hardback247;21770975 wrote:Why are people okay with LGBTQ representation when Nimona does it, but not when Disney movies do it? I never hear anyone criticize Nimona for being "woke," or hear any kind of controversy because of Ballister being gay, but I've definitely heard them in the case of Ethan Clade in Strange World.
Monterey Jack;21771058 wrote:I don't recall ANY discussion about the gay character reveal in ParaNorman leading up to its release, whereas Disney has been AGGRESSIVELY OBNOXIOUS puffing their chests out with Pride to crow about gay representation in recent years, and we're all very tired of it. It's not the presence of gay characters that annoys people, it's Disney going on and on about how "groundbreaking!" each movie and/or show is for daring to include gay characters that rankles. Yeah, it's not like shows like Will & Grace and movies like The Birdcage weren't big hits way back in the 90s...
Mephariel;21771392 wrote: I wish you have the guts to admit your backlash is because of the gay characters. When you say "It's not the presence of gay characters that annoys people," it absolutely is. Basically you are saying, "I am ok with gay characters unless someone say something about them. Keep their impact invisible." If Disney made a movie about an American soldier kicking ass with the USA flag drape all over him, and boost how patriotic the film is, would the same people be as annoyed with Disney "puffing their chest?" I don't think so. Studios made entire films depicting the life of Christ without any subtlety and I never heard the same group of people complained about the filmmakers "puffing their chests" with pride about their religion.
I wish these people "had the guts" to stop cowering behind "You're a bigot!" as a shield, like Greg Stilson holding up a baby to deflect an assassin's bullet.

Eric Paddon

#6 Post by Eric Paddon »

Ah yes, the equation of Christ with gay people. Pathetic.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

It beggars disbelief...Disney has ONE CHANCE to get audiences back on board with putting Star Wars back on the big screen where it belongs (if this one bombs, no one will ever give them do-over), and they're intentionally sabotaging themselves again. :?

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:08 pm
Mephariel;21771392 wrote: I wish you have the guts to admit your backlash is because of the gay characters. When you say "It's not the presence of gay characters that annoys people," it absolutely is. Basically you are saying, "I am ok with gay characters unless someone say something about them. Keep their impact invisible." If Disney made a movie about an American soldier kicking ass with the USA flag drape all over him, and boost how patriotic the film is, would the same people be as annoyed with Disney "puffing their chest?" I don't think so. Studios made entire films depicting the life of Christ without any subtlety and I never heard the same group of people complained about the filmmakers "puffing their chests" with pride about their religion.
Was this on FSM? Or is "Mephariel" on other boards as well?

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:26 pm
Was this on FSM? Or is "Mephariel" on other boards as well?
Blu-Ray.com, which has always squelched anti-woke discussion mercilessly. :roll:

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

Yeah, because cramming a bunch of D+ characters into a theatrical movie worked gangbusters for The Marvels...! :|

https://ew.com/movies/star-wars-movie-d ... interview/

Edmund Kattak

#11 Post by Edmund Kattak »

An interesting take on the "STAR WARS" degeneration and perhaps keys to other degeneration in recent times.

https://notthebee.com/takes/yes-the-des ... qEqkFLGvt8
Indeed,
Ed

Eric Paddon

#12 Post by Eric Paddon »

THanks for sharing that.