STAR WARS: ICONS UNEARTHED Documentary with Rare Marcia Lucas Interview

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

STAR WARS: ICONS UNEARTHED Documentary with Rare Marcia Lucas Interview

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Got a copy of this 2022 cable TV documentary for review -- it's now on Blu-Ray from Mill Creek -- and I have to say it's very worthwhile.

Even though the history of STAR WARS has been told and retold, this independent series from Brian Volk-Weiss ("The Toys That Made Us") -- which looks exclusively at George Lucas' STAR WARS movies -- boasts a fairly candid and breezy overview of their production history and issues. These include interviewees like set decorator Roger Christian, FX greats Richard Edlund, John Dykstra, Ken Ralston and Rick Baker, Lucas biographer Dale Pollock, editor Paul Hirsch, plus Anthony Daniels and (briefly) Billy Dee Williams among others.

The big feather in this show's cap is that they got Marcia Lucas to sit down for a 3-hour plus interview -- and that entire interview is included here uncut as a bonus feature! (So too are their interviews with Anthony Daniels running nearly 3 hours and Williams running considerably less).

Marcia Lucas' involvement in these films, as a veteran and in-demand editor (she had loads of experience even before she met Lucas) and an obvious companion to her future ex-husband, has been discussed in books but seldom in these documentaries. I believe this is the first on-camera interview she's ever given on STAR WARS and it's worthwhile to hear her dish about the suggestions she made (she's the one who wanted to kill off Obi-Wan, who decided to use wipes as scene transitions, who introduced Han Solo coming in to save the day during the trench run, etc.) to ancedotes about how weird Gary Kurtz was and the considerable issues that existed with the British crew on the original film.

A lot of the series is from her perspective but, given how many of these docs there have been, it's a welcome point of view to hear and I'd recommend this six-part series -- which looks at Lucas' series through the prequels -- for her interview alone.

What the series leaves you with is Lucas was filled with amazing ideas and concepts, as well as being a superb visual filmmaker -- but it certainly helped to have as many adept and resourceful collaborators on the original STAR WARS as he did. Whether it was his then-wife (whose editing saved the first film!), or co-editor Paul Hirsch (who worked with Marcia to save a disastrously edited cut that had been assembled in the UK and nearly caused Fox to shut the film down), or Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz who rewrote a good amount of the film's dialogue...Lucas' sensibilities were shaped by the team he was working with and it's a good thing they were. Left to his own devices, STAR WARS may not have ended up the film that it became.

https://www.amazon.com/ICONS-UNEARTHED- ... s_li_ss_tl

Paul MacLean

Re: STAR WARS: ICONS UNEARTHED Documentary with Rare Marcia Lucas Interview

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

Further on Marcia Lucas, here's an interesting Youtube video that provides a lot of background on her contributions to Star Wars (as well as Raiders) and her career in general...

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Incredible she had to tell Steven and George to shoot the RAIDERS ending with Indy and Marion that was scripted -- yet they felt they didn't need it! :lol: :lol:

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:55 pm Incredible she had to tell Steven and George to shoot the RAIDERS ending with Indy and Marion that was scripted -- yet they felt they didn't need it! :lol: :lol:
People tend to assume the writer and director come-up with all the ideas, but in reality the director is working with a bunch of creative people -- all of whom bring ideas to the table. He then (hence the word) directs them and their ideas.

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

Decided to order it. Should be interesting.

It is no coincidence that Lucas has not had one bona-fide cinema classic post-original SW trilogy IMO.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul MacLean wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:37 pm
AndyDursin wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:55 pm Incredible she had to tell Steven and George to shoot the RAIDERS ending with Indy and Marion that was scripted -- yet they felt they didn't need it! :lol: :lol:
People tend to assume the writer and director come-up with all the ideas, but in reality the director is working with a bunch of creative people -- all of whom bring ideas to the table. He then (hence the word) directs them and their ideas.
Amen to that. Most "movie fans" seem to believe in the auteur theory, when the art is a collaborative one where input flows in from all quarters.

This doc, while recounting a lot of general knowledge facts we already know, does a better job showing that in relation to Star Wars. It also has only one useless "cultural critic" on hand too. :lol:

Eric Paddon

#7 Post by Eric Paddon »

I'm listening to the unedited Marcia Lucas interview first. She *really* hammers George for putting the pointless Jabba scene back in the "Special Edition", pointing out how the scene didn't work in the original cut (even leaving aside the bad performance of the Jabba actor) and it also ruins the moment of the "first reveal" of Jabba in ROTJ. She at one point goes, "I don't know why he does these things." She also rips him on the Greedo shoots first re-edit.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

It's really worth it just for that interview. I agree also, it's so obvious the Special Editions were just made for Lucas to take a full cut of a "new version" of the movie and sidestep whatever divorce agreement they had going.

It has nothing to do with artistic integrity. Very little in those Special Editions works today -- starting with the "digital enhancements," as the dated CGI stamps them as a product of the mid/late 90s. The deleted scenes are mostly useless. The use of Hayden Christensen at the end of JEDI feels all wrong and, this is just my personal preference, I don't care for Williams' "Simon & Garfunkel" rescoring of the movie's end -- or the "Jabba's Palace" musical number. The Ewok Celebration is goofy but the actual thematic material there is just a lot more appealing. I love the bit when Luke looks over to his Jedi mentors at the end -- but I don't love it with the re-score and Christensen standing there.

The added ships at the end of STAR WARS I can live with, and some of the backdrop shots of Bespin in EMPIRE are passable...but overall, I'm much more pleased with the original cuts which we now have access to on the "dark web" lol. 8)

Eric Paddon

#9 Post by Eric Paddon »

Let's face it, if they put Christensen in at the end, wouldn't narrative consistency also mean Ewan MacGregor should have replaced Guinness?? (why should Ben be an old man forever after he's struck down?????)

The rest of the interview also gave her a chance to let loose on how Lucas basically erased her from the history of Lucasfilm, and to also refute his 60 Minutes assertion that she'd left him for another man.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Exactly. I don't understand why the "vision" of Anakin that was "redeemed" would be the one that was corrupted? I mean shouldn't it have been the old guy or even (shudder) little Jake Lloyd instead, if anything? Either way it takes me out of the scene now.