OFFICIAL: Indiana Jones IV To Start Filming in 2007

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

OFFICIAL: Indiana Jones IV To Start Filming in 2007

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Hot off the press -- official confirmation. It'll all be fine (I hope) if Spielberg returns to form AND Janusz Kaminski doesn't shoot it.

Indiana Jones' to begin filming in 2007

By ALICIA CHANG, Associated Press Writer Sat Dec 30, 1:02 AM ET

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - George Lucas said Friday that filming of the long-awaited "Indiana Jones" movie will begin next year. Harrison Ford, who appeared in the three earlier flicks, the last one coming in 1989, is set to star again. Lucas said he and Steven Spielberg recently finalized the script for the film.

"It's going to be fantastic. It's going to be the best one yet," the 62-year-old filmmaker said during a break from preparing for his duties as grand marshal of Monday's Rose Parade.

Exact film locations have not been decided yet, but Lucas said part of the movie will be shot in Los Angeles.

The fourth chapter of the "Indiana Jones" saga, which will hit theaters in May 2008, has been in development for over a decade with several screenwriters taking a crack at the script, but it only recently gained momentum.

Lucas kept mum about the plot, but said that the latest action flick will be a "character piece" that will include "very interesting mysteries."

"I think it's going to be really cool," Lucas said.

At the inaugural Rome Film Festival in October, the 64-year-old Ford said he was excited to team up with Lucas and Spielberg again for the fourth "Indiana Jones" installment. Ford said he was "fit to continue" to play the title role despite his age.

Ford played Indiana Jones in 1981's "Raiders of the Lost Ark," 1984's "Temple of Doom" and 1989's "The Last Crusade."

Lucas praised Ford for breathing life into his character.

"Mostly it's the charm of Harrison that makes it work," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061230/ap_ ... iana_jones

Carlson2005

#2 Post by Carlson2005 »

Nah, I'm still getting that Two Jakes/Texasville vibe about this one. Let it go, guys...

romanD

#3 Post by romanD »

still so far off, there will be enough reasons not to shoot for them in the end... I only believe it when they really started.

Well, at least that may bring us a complete Indy 2 score cd... how about that to heat up?

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

romanD wrote:still so far off, there will be enough reasons not to shoot for them in the end... I only believe it when they really started.

Well, at least that may bring us a complete Indy 2 score cd... how about that to heat up?
I'd take that! I am assuming Williams will be asked to score Indy IV....

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly wrote:
romanD wrote:still so far off, there will be enough reasons not to shoot for them in the end... I only believe it when they really started.

I'd take that! I am assuming Williams will be asked to score Indy IV....
Why wouldn't he?

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

This is going to be HUGELY disappointing. Too old, too late, too little of the old Indy technical team left (I can't wait to see Ford's wrinkles getting hidden by Janusz Kaminski's blown-out backlighting and lens flares :shock: )...even Live Free And Die Hard with a bald John McClane sounds more appealing. Yeah, yeah, I'll see it, but it's almost guaranteed to be a letdown. Yeah, we really want to see a fiftysomething Marion show up with Natalie Portman as Indy's daughter, and Tom Selleck as Indy's brother, and Kevin Costner as Indy's third cousin, and Sean Connery's voice as a CGI dear old dad... :roll:

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

It may be MJ, you may be dead on target. WAR OF THE WORLDS and THE LOST WORLD are evidence enough that Spielberg has lost his touch for this kind of thing.

You can laugh but I'm more concerned about the lighting -- if Janusz is on-board the movie will make Harrison Ford look 104 instead of 64! His style is all wrong for this series but I'm guessing he'll get the gig since Slocombe is retired (he's also in his 90s, isn't he?).

Carlson2005

#8 Post by Carlson2005 »

I think Kaminski is less the problem than Lucas' determination to shoot on video. That just makes everything look like it was shot by Kaminski on a really bad day! :shock:

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Carlson2005 wrote:I think Kaminski is less the problem than Lucas' determination to shoot on video. That just makes everything look like it was shot by Kaminski on a really bad day! :shock:
I'd rather watch EPISODE III than WAR OF THE WORLDS or THE LOST WORLD any day. Video, film, I just don't understand what Kaminski is even trying to accomplish half of the time.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Really IS official this time-- confirmed by Spielberg to be his NEXT PROJECT (he's dropping the Lincoln movie for now).

But David Koepp is doing the script!! :(

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 9cf257d65d

Can you dig it? Fourth 'Indy' in '08
By Gregg Kilday

Jan 2, 2007
Nineteen years after chasing down the Holy Grail in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," Harrison Ford will return to the big screen in the character of the globe-trotting archeologist in May 2008.

Producer George Lucas and director Steven Spielberg confirmed details of the project Monday after Lucas tipped off the media to Indiana Jones' imminent return as he prepared to serve as grand marshal of the Rose Parade in Pasadena.

After years spent in script development, a fourth installment of the famously successful franchise is set to begin production in June in locations around the world and in the U.S.

Although he has been developing other projects, including a biopic about Abraham Lincoln with Liam Neeson attached to star, Spielberg has decided the "Indiana Jones" sequel will be his next directorial outing. Helping Spielberg choose his next directing commitment had been a primary goal of new DreamWorks CEO Stacey Snider (HR 6/23).

"George, Harrison and I are all very excited," Spielberg said. "We feel that the script was well worth the wait. We hope it delivers everything you'd expect from our history with Indiana Jones."

The film will be produced by Lucasfilm Ltd. and released worldwide by Paramount Pictures, the parent company of DreamWorks. Although reps from the companies involved did not address the question of financing Monday, Paramount execs have said that the studio expected to co-finance the project with Lucasfilm.

Frank Marshall will serve as producer, with Lucas and Kathy Kennedy joining him as executive producers. Longtime Spielberg associates, Marshall was credited in a producing capacity on the three earlier films, and Kennedy served as associate producer on the past two.

"Working with Steven, Frank, Kathy and the 'Indy' crew is like working with family," Lucas said. "These films are such great fun to make. I'm looking forward to reuniting with the team and starting this new journey."

David Koepp, who has penned such previous Spielberg projects as "Jurassic Park" and "War of the Worlds," wrote the screenplay that finally got the stamp of approval from Lucas and Spielberg. An earlier screenplay by Frank Darabont had been shelved when Lucas turned thumbs down on it.

For the moment, the title of the new film as well as its story line are being kept under wraps. In August, however, Lucas told Empireonline.com, "I discovered a McGuffin. I told the guys about it and they were a little dubious about it, but it's the best one we've ever found. ... Unfortunately, it was a little too 'connected' for the others. They were afraid of what the critics would think. They said, 'Can't we do it with a different McGuffin? Can't we do this?' and I said 'No.' So we pottered around with that for a couple of years. And then Harrison really wanted to do it and Steve said, 'Okay.' I said, 'We'll have to go back to that original McGuffin and take out the offending parts of it and we'll still use that area of the supernatural to deal with it.' "

In an interview with MTV.com, Lucas also said that the project will acknowledge Harrison's age; the actor is currently 64. In a statement, Ford said he is ready for another action-packed turn as the death-defying archeologist. "I'm delighted to be back in business with my old friends," he said. "I don't know if the pants still fit, but I know the hat will."

Although a spokesman for Spielberg said Monday that no casting has begun, Lucas and Ford have said that they would like to include Sean Connery, who played Indiana Jones' father, Professor Henry Jones, in "The Last Crusade." "We are writing him in whether he wants to do it or not," Lucas told "Access Hollywood" when Connery was honored in June with the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award.

It also is not known whether the project will be shot digitally, like Lucas' recent "Star Wars" movies, or on film, the medium Spielberg prefers.

"Raiders of the Lost Ark," the first film in the series, was released in 1981, followed by "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" in 1984 and "Last Crusade" in 1989. The three movies have earned 14 Academy Award nominations, seven Oscars and grossed more than $1.182 billion worldwide.

A release date was not announced, but the past two films in the series opened shortly before the Memorial Day weekend. Currently, the May 2008 lineup includes Paramount's "Iron Man," from Marvel Enterprises; Buena Vista's "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media; and Warner Bros. Pictures' "Speed Racer," from Warners, Silver Pictures and Village Roadshow.

esteban miranda

#11 Post by esteban miranda »

From reading opinions at various forums, I think too many people are prejudging this movie. Even if I thought I had good reasons for misgivings, it's more graceful to give the filmmakers the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best. Say it's "crap" or "the greatest" after you've seen it.
Also, I think many people are making too big a deal out if this. I wouldn't expect it to be as good as my favorite movie (whatever that may be). If it's mildly enjoyable that would be high-praise in my modern-day movie going experience.
Another reason I'm not all steamed up about this movie is because none of the major participants (despite press reports) has seemed too interested in making this movie. Believe me, if the major players really REALLY had wanted to make a 4th IJ movie, it would have long-since been made. It was 3 years between the release of Raiders and ToD and 5 years between ToD and Last Crusade. If they were really interested in making IJ films, we'd be talking about IJ 6 or 7 by now.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

That's a fair assessment Estiban. Ultimately I feel if Lucas and Spielberg and Ford want to make it, I have no problem with it. Most people online seem to hate the Star Wars prequels but I give Lucas credit for following through and making the movies he wanted to make -- whether "they suck" or not, I thought two of them were quite good. Even look at Stallone with ROCKY BALBOA -- all jokes aside the movie turned out exceptionally well, in spite of people cracking on why make it and all that.

I think the larger problem with this movie is that Spielberg and especially Ford are no longer in the form they were for this kind of movie. Yet I'll be intrigued to see what they come up with, Williams most especially.

The prospect of Janusz shooting it is my biggest concern at the moment ;)