Midnite Movies are FINALLY, Officially Back!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Midnite Movies are FINALLY, Officially Back!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Great line up of vintage horror coming from MGM -- and thank goodness they signed up with Fox or else we'd never see any of these coming from Sony. :)

All due on September 11th...

FOX

* The Fly Collection
o The Fly
o The Return of the Fly
o The Curse of the Fly – NEVER BEFORE ON DVD

* The Lost World – Special Edition

* Fox Midnite Movies
o Blueprint For Murder/Man In The Attic
o Chosen Survivors/Earth Dies Screaming
o Devils Of Darkness/Witchcraft
o Gorilla At Large/Mystery At Monster Island
o House On Skull Mountain/Mephisto Waltz
o Tales From The Crypt/Vault Of Horror

MGM

* From Beyond: Special Edition

* The Return of the Living Dead: Special Edition

* Food of the Gods – NEVER BEFORE ON DVD

* The Roger Corman Collection
o Bloody Mama – NEVER BEFORE ON DVD
o The Young Racers – NEVER BEFORE ON DVD
o A Bucket of Blood
o Gas-s-s
o Premature Burial
o The Wild Angels
o The Man With X-Ray Eyes
o The Trip

* MGM Movie Legends: Vincent Price
o Conqueror Worm (aka Witchfinder General) - NEVER BEFORE ON DVD
o The Abominable Dr. Phibes
o Dr. Phibes Rises Again
o Theater of Blood
o Madhouse
o Tales of Terror
o Twice Told Tales

* MGM Midnite Movies – MAKING THEIR TRIUMPHANT RETURN
o The Beast/Bat People
o The Phantom From 10,000 Leagues/The Beast With A Million Eyes
o Pharoh’s Curse/Curse of the Faceless Man
o Return of Dracula/The Vampire
o Yongary, Monster From The Deep/Konga

* Other Individual Titles New To DVD

o Scarecrows
o The Burning
o Sometimes They Comeback
o Manhunter

Eric Paddon

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

So *finally* we get the Irwin Allen "Lost World" on DVD at last??? About time!

Jedbu

#3 Post by Jedbu »

CONQUEROR WORM has been out as an R2 under the title of WITCHFINDER GENERAL, but I'm not sure if the aspect ratio has been correct.

My wife has been hoping CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN would be out on DVD for years-she finally got her wish. Now if MGM/Sony/Fox would bring out MAD, MAD WORLD and the uncut ALAMO on DVD. . .
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Jedbu wrote:CONQUEROR WORM has been out as an R2 under the title of WITCHFINDER GENERAL, but I'm not sure if the aspect ratio has been correct.

My wife has been hoping CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN would be out on DVD for years-she finally got her wish. Now if MGM/Sony/Fox would bring out MAD, MAD WORLD and the uncut ALAMO on DVD. . .
We sure have a better chance of those happening since MGM signed up with Fox. Sony basically had no interest in releasing any catalog titles, so MGM's "divorce" from them was the best thing that could happen to get the vaults unlocked again ;)

mkaroly

#5 Post by mkaroly »

Is that the same FOOD OF THE GODS that was based on an HG Wells book??? If so...wow! I saw that film AGES ago- aren't htere giant mice or rats in it?? Lol...

JSWalsh

#6 Post by JSWalsh »

I have fourteen of these titles and really enjoy them. I may have to collect them all.

With the exception of MST3K--I have almost the whole run of those--I am very, very picky about "so bad they're good" movies, and in fact, I don't watch the Midnite Movies for camp value. I try to enjoy them for what they are, and not poke fun at them, which is why I avoid certain titles. That's what I think these are--movies which may not have come out as well as they could have, but they retain at least SOME entertainment value, and shouldn't be forgotten completely.

BTW, I also noticed some other movies coming out in similar case designs. I recently got the IT!/SHUTTERED ROOM disc, and the art direction would have a casual customer thinking it's one of the MM's.

Anyway...from the list above I've got:

Chosen Survivors/Earth Dies Screaming--Chosen Survivors is a bit of a muddle--survivors in an underground bunker are attacked by bats--but I kinda dug it. You can't say it's just another "holocaust survivors vs. bats" movie. Earth Dies Screaming...skips. :(

House On Skull Mountain/Mephisto Waltz--I liked seeing the second one again for obvious reasons, the Goldsmith score, Jaqueline Bisset and the other actress, who I've seen occasionally over the years and find attractive. HOSM is kind of a mess, but the voodoo scenes stuck with me. Seeing a hot chick in a nightgown gettin' the devil in her is always worthwhile.

Gas-s-s--I don't care for Roger Corman as a director but this one was so good (though you can kind of sense the cutting) that I really wish I could see the version Corman made before the studio hacked it up. Very entertaining--I really dig 60's cinema that tries to be hip and mod and groovy.

The Wild Angels--Haven't watched it yet.

The Trip--Paired with Psych-Out, makes for one of the best sets in my collection. I could watch these movies every weekend. Groovy and psychadelic.

Also have (from memory):

Scream and Scream Again/Oblong Box
All of the Corman Poe movies
Planet of the Vampires
Dunwich Horror/Die Monster Die
People That Time Forgot

Oh, and that IS the Food of the Gods you're thinking of, with giant rats and Joan Collins. But I repeat myself...
John

JSWalsh

#7 Post by JSWalsh »

A list of the MM at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Midnite-Movies-co ... WZ525WFXJ8

Reminded me I also have:

Man From Planet X (REALLY enjoyed this ultra cheapie)

Panic in Year Zero/The Last Man on Earth

Wild in the Streets (with GAS-S-S-S!)
John