STAR TREK Official Thread -- Reactions *Spoilers*

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric W.

#151 Post by Eric W. »

DavidBanner wrote:
I agree that Berman and company should have let it go long before ENTERPRISE. I personally think they could have called it after that last season of TNG, which was mostly filled with some really, really awful episodes. (I can count on one hand the decent eps in that last season, and I don't think its Emmy nomination absolves it - that nomination was actually for the whole series, since it had been ignored for years.) The best thing they could have done at that point would have been to NOT make GENERATIONS. A few years off to build up demand would have been a good idea. Doing a movie with that cast right after the series ended really felt like they were trying to cash in as quick as they could. I also think they needed to bring back the really good writers, like Gerrold and Fontana, who really understood the material. In retrospect, it would have worked to have turned the show over to Ron Moore, but Berman couldn't stand him. (And in honesty, he admits today that he was out of gas during that 7th season of TNG). I agree that a bunch of eps in the 5th season really dragged (too many "Child of the Week/Ship in Danger" stories to the point that you could predict the formula by the first commercial), and that the 6th season had a lot of clunkers in the first part of the year. But the 6th season did have several of my favorite eps, particularly "Chain of Command", "Ship in a Bottle" and "Frame of Mind".
Yup, you pretty much read my mind there. Generations was rushed, came too fast, and it showed. All Good Things would have made for a better movie if they'd fleshed it out and fixed up a few of the plotholes.

5-7th season still had good episodes in them but the drop off, as I call it, was unmistakeable and certainly is undeniable with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight.

DS9 and Voyager had their share of good episodes, particularly DS9 until that last season and the way they ended DS9 with the super rushed, deus ex machina everything is peachy ending. Those character deserved better and the show was hurt when Jadzia was killed off.

Enterprise just should never have happened.

I actually liked Goldsmith's score for NEMESIS. It actually felt like one of the original series scores - particularly the scene where they encounter Shinzon's vessel for the first time.
I've listend to it on disc and it does have its moments but the drop off by Goldsmith's standards for a Star Trek film is stiking and disturbing to me.

I don't think NEMESIS was intended to kill off the golden goose. They were clearly trying to find some new blood, given how many hundreds of hours of episodes they had already done between four series at that point. Bringing in John Logan and Stuart Baird was initially thought to be a bold move toward shaking things up, particularly since INSURRECTION was properly received as a feature-length episode of TNG.
Maybe that's the case but all I know the end result looked, felt like, and basically had the effect of killing Trek and the tone and approach on that movie and everything about it really made suspect that it was deliberate even though you may be right and it wasn't.

I agree that there is definitely more interest in TREK now due to the new film, and also due to the fact that there hasn't been anything new with TREK since ENTERPRISE bit the dust four years ago. (And I don't count the remastering of the original series as a new development)
For a time I think there was just oversaturation of Trek. TNG was still going on and then DS9 starts up and overlaps early with the 6th season. Then they do that overlap and roll off again with Voyager.

They didn't do themselves any favors if they didn't want people to get burned out or bored or whatever you want to call it, that's for sure.

My sourcing for my thoughts here come from a variety of places. I grew up watching the original series and then the movies. My father was friends and worked with Bob Justman on other TV shows. (Justman signed my copy of his book with Solow and showed me some charts he had made about the production of the original series. He had kept track of the dates each ep was outlined, written, filmed, posted and aired, with notes about whether things were on time or late, whether things were on budget or over, and why. I remember that the ep "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" went over due to not having a completed script when they started filming - apparently Roddenberry had to completely rebuild Robert Bloch's script...) I also worked for two months on the first season of VOYAGER in the spring of 1995, and then worked next door to VOYAGER and DS9 for a year from 1996 to 1997. (When they did the Tribbles episode of DS9, it went on FOREVER. You could tell because of the costumes and the beehive hairstyles for the women)
I easily take your word for it. :)

But beyond that, I have also read many books about what went on in the making of these shows, and I recommend pretty much all of them if you want a complete picture from everyone's perspective:

The first two, and the most crucial are, of course:

The Making of Star Trek - Stephen Whitfield's book, written during the making of the original series with inset comments by Roddenberry

Inside Star Trek: The Real Story - Herb Solow and Bob Justman's book about what really went on during the production of the pilot episodes and the three years of the original series. Justman continues the story to acknowledge the problems that happened during TNG and the end of Roddenberry's life.

For some good material about the nuts and bolts of specific episodes, etc, I recommend:

The Trouble With Tribbles - David Gerrold's account of the writing and production of his script.

The City on the Edge of Forever - Harlan Ellison's lengthy account (rant) about the varous untrue things that have been said about him and the episode. (Of course, I don't believe he acknowledges that this script came in REALLY late, and even his protests about not being THAT far overbudget fall flat. All accounts show that his episode came in 66K over budget, which was a HUGE amount in 1966, and that was just to do a stripped down version of the original idea he'd presented.) That said, Ellison has a valid point that Roddenberry repeatedly tried to rewrite this history, and that there have been a lot of yahoos saying things about him who weren't there. And reading Ellison's original script is a revelation.

The World of Star Trek - David Gerrold's dissection of the original series and his many suggestions for improvement if another series were to be done. The key here is that his ideas form the backbone of what would become TNG, and I believe Gerrold thought he was going to be the head writer or "showrunner" when Roddenberry brought him in to write the TNG "bible" and used all his suggestions. When Roddenberry turned on him, Gerrold understandably went ballistic.

Captain's Logs - Edward Gross and Mark Altman's compilation of various articles and episode guides written about Trek include many direct quotes from the writers and directors who worked on the episodes, including some candid statements by Joe Pevney, Fred Frieberger, David Gerrold, Ralph Senensky and others. Gross and Altman's opinions about the episodes aside, these quotes help fill in some blanks and clarify things that even Justman and Solow don't address. (One example is that Justman insists that Bill Shatner didn't have any creative input in what was done on the show - that he just performed the script handed to him. And it's true that Shatner didn't write or direct any episodes. But Pevney describes regular "table rehearsals" on the set where Shatner and Nimoy would go through the scenes being filmed and insist on changes, to the point that Pevney refused to come back any more. Pevney described the situation as intolerable for a director trying to tell a story, when the leads of the show are essentially writing and directing the scene for you...) This compilation is also one of the first to acknowledge the extremely troubled production history of the first Trek film. The interview material with Hal Livingston is particuarly devastating.

For some interesting perspectives on the making of the series and the movies, I would of course recommend:

My Star Trek Memories, and My Star Trek Movie Memories - Shatner's ghostwritten memoirs (really done by Chris Kreski) include a lot of candid interview material with many of the creative people involved. It sounds very much like Shatner brought a tape recorder with him when talking to Justman, to Nimoy, to Bennett, to Meyer, etc.. If you just read the interview segments, you'll get a really vivid picture of what was happening, and if you bounce that off the Justman/Solow book, and the interviews in the Gross/Altman compilation, things get a lot clearer. To his credit, Shatner acknowledges that James Doohan refused to speak to him, and that Nichelle Nichols took him to task for his behavior during the series. He even includes a devastating quote from Bennett about him, where Bennett frankly tells him that he seems to always want to be the center, the quarterback, the wide receiver, and the head of the cheerleading squad in every scene. (It's interesting to note how things have now broken down again between Shatner and Takei...)

I Am Not Spock and I Am Spock - Leonard Nimoy provides his own perspective, without going through the prism of Shatner's interviews. His books are the only place where I found the admission that both Nimoy and Shatner campaigned to direct episodes of the original series (which of course was firmly denied). Of course, Nimoy skates around the fact that he did in fact insist on Spock being killed in the second film as a pre-requisite for his participation. Nimoy will tell you that he didn't do that, that he just felt it was an attractive offer by Bennett. But if you read these accounts carefully (and read Bennett's interview extracts), you'll see that Nimoy made clear he would not return for another Trek movie until he was told the character would be ended. On the other hand, Nimoy's account shows that his work on "A Woman Called Golda", part of his deal for agreeing to do Trek II, was not a picnic, since the director openly resented his being cast in the film by Bennett over the director's head.

Chekov's Enterprise - Walter Koenig's account of the making of the first Trek film is interesting, in that it's the only real fly-on-the-wall perspective we have of that production, from the time it was happening. If anything, it shows that Koenig was in the dark about most of what was happening, and was just happy to be there. But there's some good stuff in there about hijinks on the bridge, and the absolutely interminable wormhole scene.

For perspective on Gene Roddenberry, I strongly recommend all three of the following:

Creator - David Alexander's loving portrait of Roddenberry, which glosses over a lot of the difficult areas, but does include many Roddenberry letters and memos from the time of the series and the movies. And it gives Roddenberry's side of the dispute with Bennett (along with some fairly unhappy comments about the behavior of Nimoy and Shatner in the films), which presents Roddenberry as "choosing" to take the consultant title rather than produce any more. It acknowledges the difficulties of the first year of TNG, but says that Roddenberry was only trying to defend himself, etc.

Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek - Joel Engel's no-holds-barred machete attack on Roddenberry goes even father than Engel's flaying of Rod Serling in an earlier book. Engel's portrait is of a truly unpleasant man who did some good things and tried to take credit for all the good things everyone else did. Engel includes some really nasty material about Roddenberry's behavior during the making of the original series, the films, and TNG. Almost every quote used in the book is designed to deflate any complimentary thoughts one might have about Roddenberry, and if that isn't enough, Engel than editorializes in the same mode. On the other hand, if you take this book and stand it up against Alexander's book, you get a much fuller picture of the man. This book includes some pretty solid medical perspective of what was happening to Roddenberry during his only year on TNG, and includes various tidbits about how production was handled during both series. One surprising admission is that the script for "The Menagerie" (the envelope portion around Roddenberry's original "Cage" pilot ep) was actually written by John D.F. Black before he walked off the show. Roddenberry then did a rewrite on it and claimed sole credit. Black didn't present a case to the WGA, assuming that he would win his arbitration just by presenting his draft and Roddenberry's. Roddenberry won, and Black learned an unfortunate lesson.

Inside Trek - Susan Sackett's account of her affair with Roddenberry over at least fifteen years fills in a lot of blanks, and provides a clear picture of his decline during the 80s until his death. Sackett's portrait of herself and of Majel Barrett is similarly unflattering, but it presents an accurate picture of the making of TNG and the endgame around her final moments there. Her account of her "exit interview" with Rick Berman and her discussions with Michael Piller are quite chilly, and you can tell they are trying to usher her off the lot as fast as they can. Certain details of the making of TNG, like the naming of Deanna Troi after her, or the technical name of Geordi's VISOR are revealed here as coming from Sackett. (Of course, she tries to take credit for the basic idea for Star Trek III, which makes little sense, as it's clear this is what Nimoy and Bennett were planning to do anyway.) Sackett's account also does not include the fact that she received a considerable inheritance from Roddenberry after his death - she portrays that part of the story as though she was totally cut off. Finally, Sackett discusses the 25th Anniversary Star Trek book, for which she wrote the text while Roddenberry was ostensibly supervising it. (In reality, Roddenberry was completely infirm by this point) When the book was literally about to be printed, Nimoy intentionally blocked its production and took over the project himself. Sackett later realized that the published book was in fact using her material and had to pursue Paramount to be paid for her work. Sackett's book makes clear that Roddenberry's involvement with the movies after TMP was minimal (memos that they rarely followed), and that his involvement with TNG was also minimal after the first season, other than to watch episodes and give notes. (and even those notes were minimal, if anything.) Sackett's description of her reaction to an early 4th season episode is particularly illuminating.

When you put all three accounts together, you get a much more complete picture of the man, warts and all.
I'm happy to say I've read a good chunk of these but there are a few I've missed. It's also been years since I've read some of these so some retreading for me certainly would not be a waste. :)

Finally, I would also advise listening to the various commentaries on the Trek films and series and watching the featurettes, albeit with a grain of salt. When you get past the self-congratulation, you get to some really interesting material. In the commentary for TMP, Stephen Collins describes the filming of the wormhole sequence (every shot had to be done four times - in 35mm normal speed, 35mm slow motion, 70mm normal speed and 70mm slow motion) as akin to a really bad root canal. In the featurettes about the making of the series, Nimoy admits that when they made the 2nd pilot, the budget was incredibly low, since they had spent so much money on the first pilot. And there's plenty of other stuff to find in there...

By wading through all this stuff, you eventually wind up with a very interesting picture of the human beings who made these shows. Or you wind up with a headache...
Yeah, I know about the headache but after a time you do start to get an overall "big picture" of what reality may have been like. :)

AndyDursin

#152 Post by AndyDursin »

I've read most of those books too.

Going back to the Blu-Ray set itself, I actually like it. It might be a stop-gap of sorts but it's actually pretty solid for what they did include on there. I also have some inside info which I can't completely share, but if you thought Paramount ever was going to stop the re-issue plan with TREK now that Blu-Ray is here...think again. (Not that you wouldn't either -- they've only issued every episode and movie about a half-dozen times across every format, lol). This release was put out there so that there would be something to accompany the new movie -- there will be more in the very near future as they have more time to work things out.

Eric W.

#153 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:I've read most of those books too.

Going back to the Blu-Ray set itself, I actually like it. It might be a stop-gap of sorts but it's actually pretty solid for what they did include on there.
The movie set?

The 1st season TOS set is phenomenal to me. I haven't gotten the movie set yet.

I also have some inside info which I can't completely share, but if you thought Paramount ever was going to stop the re-issue plan with TREK now that Blu-Ray is here...think again. (Not that you wouldn't either -- they've only issued every episode and movie about a half-dozen times across every format, lol).
Yeah, this isn't exactly a top secret newsflash you're giving us here. ;)
This release was put out there so that there would be something to accompany the new movie -- there will be more in the very near future as they have more time to work things out.
Sure. Trek 2 was remastered Godfather style and it shows. ALL the movies need to be done that way as well as the fixed TMP with the new special effects and all the rest.

I know it'll all come eventually. :)

AndyDursin

#154 Post by AndyDursin »

It will. But apparently money was also a factor. From what I gather their funds for this kind of thing were zapped after THE GODFATHER so they didn't have enough to justify remastering the rest. Plus, they'd rather sit on this set, let it sell, then come back with Director's sets probably 2 or 3 years from now when the sequel comes out. No surprise, really, but apparently the Lowry restorative process is extremely expensive. There's no way you can expect that for every catalog title to come out in HD.

DavidBanner

#155 Post by DavidBanner »

Eric, I'll just ditto your post without much detail. Looks like you were dealing with the same posting problem I have, as it triplicated your submission...

And I should point out that DS9 losing Jadzia was to my mind entirely due to Terry Farrell insisting on a bigger raise than Paramount was willing to give her. (I remember hearing this at the time - spring '98 - but I can't verify the source anymore...) When she pushed it, they bumped her out and replaced her with Nicole deBoer. I actually liked the episode "Afterimage" which dealt with the situation, specifically for one moment in the cafe with Bashir.

Andy, I'm fully expecting Paramount to re-issue the Star Trek movie Blu-rays with upgraded transfers, PIP options and other goodies in another couple of years. I smelled a rat when Robert Wise's cut of TMP wasn't included in this set, and then a much bigger one when the only film that got restoration work was Trek II.

I'm expecting to see the Blu-rays of the original series Seasons 2 and 3 for Christmas this year, along with a Blu-ray of the new movie and the TNG movies. The real question there is which eps of Seasons 2 & 3 will get PIP commentaries and goodies (which I'm willing to bet were prepared for the HD-DVD releases that didn't happen). The other real question is whether Paramount is willing to spend the money to remaster TNG to high definition. This would be a project over twice the size of their work on TOS, and I don't know if the number crunchers at Paramount would be willing to shoulder that cost...

JSWalsh

#156 Post by JSWalsh »

Not having seen the movie, and having been critical of Trek product more than a fan of it, I have to say, it's truly bizarre to see a certain attitude in some of the chatter (I have avoided most of THIS thread to avoid spoilers).

The argument that creating this new timeline is somehow an incredible insult to the fans of the show is ridiculous, but it is very much of its time. Fans for this kind of material are skewing older and older as people my age never grow beyond childish things, as they saying goes. They feel the property itself is THEIRS and these "corporate" people at Paramount have stolen it--the "raped my childhood" line is a joke that hangs around because it mocks an actual attitude.

I can't help but think that back when I was a kid, any new thing that was a spin on something I liked was accepted or rejected for what it was, without this weird tantrum over "ruining" something done in the past. As James M. Cain said about his novels that inspired movies that altered elements "They're right over there on the shelf."

Even if this new movie somehow destroyed all that has previously gone on, all of those shows and movies would still exist because, brace yourselves, it's all make believe. This stuff is entertainment, not life. It's "What if?" and playtime, not Shakespeare. There's SO much good entertainment that is as good and yes, much, MUCH better than these fun and silly space stories, and one really needs to get some perspective.

Can you imagine someone writing a sequel to Huck Finn, considered the greatest American novel ever? Well, at least one writer did. It came and went, and the fans of the original didn't have a coronary, because nothing anyone else did altered their enjoyment of the original.

This whole "They have spat on the history of the show!" thing is the new geek behavior, since it's apparently cool to like Trek now, I guess. When I see this, I'll like it or hate it as a fun space movie--because that's what it is, and that's ALL it is. It ain't unalterable scripture.
John

Eric W.

#157 Post by Eric W. »

DavidBanner wrote:Eric, I'll just ditto your post without much detail. Looks like you were dealing with the same posting problem I have, as it triplicated your submission...
Yeah, it's really becoming a trial to try and post things around here without a slew of errors, lags, and mistakes like that. Very discouraging and frustrating after a point.

And I should point out that DS9 losing Jadzia was to my mind entirely due to Terry Farrell insisting on a bigger raise than Paramount was willing to give her. (I remember hearing this at the time - spring '98 - but I can't verify the source anymore...) When she pushed it, they bumped her out and replaced her with Nicole deBoer. I actually liked the episode "Afterimage" which dealt with the situation, specifically for one moment in the cafe with Bashir.
Yeah, that was good and I like Ezri well enough. I thought the final few episodes and the finale simply weren't even close to being worthy to what had come before. DS9 had a lot of good things going for it and just deserved better than to sputter out at the end.

Andy, I'm fully expecting Paramount to re-issue the Star Trek movie Blu-rays with upgraded transfers, PIP options and other goodies in another couple of years. I smelled a rat when Robert Wise's cut of TMP wasn't included in this set, and then a much bigger one when the only film that got restoration work was Trek II.
Agreed.

I'm expecting to see the Blu-rays of the original series Seasons 2 and 3 for Christmas this year, along with a Blu-ray of the new movie and the TNG movies. The real question there is which eps of Seasons 2 & 3 will get PIP commentaries and goodies (which I'm willing to bet were prepared for the HD-DVD releases that didn't happen). The other real question is whether Paramount is willing to spend the money to remaster TNG to high definition. This would be a project over twice the size of their work on TOS, and I don't know if the number crunchers at Paramount would be willing to shoulder that cost...
If they do it right, I'll buy it all.

AndyDursin

#158 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah, it's really becoming a trial to try and post things around here without a slew of errors, lags, and mistakes like that. Very discouraging and frustrating after a point.
Sorry guys but this site is a labor of love for me. If it's too frustrating for you to post here, I can only say I apologize, but them's the breaks. I've found out the issue really isn't with phpbb (the forum software) but rather the provider itself, though these problems don't extend to the homepage, which is my priority. I don't have a webmaster, and I'm not hiring one, so that's just kind of how it is right now.

Eric W.

#159 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:
Sorry guys but this site is a labor of love for me. If it's too frustrating for you to post here, I can only say I apologize, but them's the breaks. I've found out the issue really isn't with phpbb (the forum software) but rather the provider itself, though these problems don't extend to the homepage, which is my priority. I don't have a webmaster, and I'm not hiring one, so that's just kind of how it is right now.
It's not your fault. :)

It can get a little annoying but we all still post. :)

JSWalsh

#160 Post by JSWalsh »

Andy, just for some feedback with another point of view, the only trouble I've had is, I believe, with the computer where I post--it's very slow, so when I see it taking a loooong time to post, I tend to re-post. Then, two of the same thing shows up. I really think it's a problem on this end.

Other than that, I think this site works great, and I'm a total computer idiot.

Sorry to go off-topic, just wanted to mention that, because I've always found this site very easy to use and haven't had any real problems. Back to Trek...
John

AndyDursin

#161 Post by AndyDursin »

Thanks John. There is some kind of issue with the provider, but it's usually -- from my experience -- where you make a post and you get an error. Sometimes that post shows up, sometimes it doesn't. But you can always just hit "back" in your browser and re-submit it, and it usually takes. It's not like the site goes down for 30 minutes at a time, it seems like it's a scripting error of some kind.

I've emailed them and they were supposedly looking into it, but the main page the site in general seems to have few problems, and that's what matters the most to me. I apologize for the inconvenience on the posting but as long as you just hit back and re-submit your post if you think it's lost, I can always just delete the double-posts.

JSWalsh

#162 Post by JSWalsh »

My friend who works in computer animation wants me to come see Trek with him sometime this week. He saw it and enjoyed it, though he wasn't as crazy over it as some. He loves Star Trek. He said McCoy was "spot on" and he liked Kirk, but had problems with the story and some of the logic. He is willing to see it again because he said the effects are THAT good.
John

Paul MacLean

#163 Post by Paul MacLean »

Well, I finally saw it tonight. I thought was well-done and exciting, but I did not enjoy it as much as Wrath of Khan, Generations or even First Contact.

Altho it respectfully kept continuity with the Trek universe in some ways, I'm nevertheless tempted to dub it Battlestar Enterprise, as it seemed mostly influenced by Galatica -- the massive, dingy sets, the "shakeycam" photography (both on set and in the space battles) and the way it imbued old familiar characters with more "edgy" behavior not found in the more straitlaced originals. But whereas this made the new Galactica interesting (sorry Eric! ;) ) I found it out of place in Star Trek.

Also...seeing new actors play the old crew kind of reminded me of when Saturday Night Live or In Living Color did Star Trek spoofs. Zachary Quinto actually reminded me a lot of Kevin Neelon!

I did think it was odd on the ways it departed from the Trek universe as its been established -- blowing up Vulcan, and the Spock/Uhura affair (what was THAT all about? :?)

Ironically, the one Star Trek film I found most similar to -- in terms of visual style -- was Nemesis. The Romulan ship was very similar to the one in Nemesis, while and Eric Banna with his shaved head reminded me of that film's villain.

I mean I'm not Star Trek purist. I like Star Trek but haven't been a "trekkie" since I was about 13. I wasn't really too put off by its departures from the original, and did enjoy the film for all its quirks, but I didn't think it was "great".

Eric W.

#164 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:Well, I finally saw it tonight. I thought was well-done and exciting, but I did not enjoy it as much as Wrath of Khan, Generations or even First Contact.

Altho it respectfully kept continuity with the Trek universe in some ways, I'm nevertheless tempted to dub it Battlestar Enterprise, as it seemed mostly influenced by Galatica -- the massive, dingy sets, the "shakeycam" photography (both on set and in the space battles) and the way it imbued old familiar characters with more "edgy" behavior not found in the more straitlaced originals. But whereas this made the new Galactica interesting (sorry Eric! ;) ) I found it out of place in Star Trek.

Also...seeing new actors play the old crew kind of reminded me of when Saturday Night Live or In Living Color did Star Trek spoofs. Zachary Quinto actually reminded me a lot of Kevin Neelon!

I did think it was odd on the ways it departed from the Trek universe as its been established -- blowing up Vulcan, and the Spock/Uhura affair (what was THAT all about? :?)

Ironically, the one Star Trek film I found most similar to -- in terms of visual style -- was Nemesis. The Romulan ship was very similar to the one in Nemesis, while and Eric Banna with his shaved head reminded me of that film's villain.

I mean I'm not Star Trek purist. I like Star Trek but haven't been a "trekkie" since I was about 13. I wasn't really too put off by its departures from the original, and did enjoy the film for all its quirks, but I didn't think it was "great".

Again, I've only seen it once but in the time I've had to think it over, let it digest, and take the good and the bad (and process with David Banner earlier in this thread. ;) ) ...my friend, you absolutely nailed how I feel about this movie myself although I did enjoy it more than Generations. ;)

Eric W.

#165 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:Well, I finally saw it tonight. I thought was well-done and exciting, but I did not enjoy it as much as Wrath of Khan, Generations or even First Contact.

Again, I've only seen it once but in the time I've had to think it over, let it digest, and take the good and the bad (and process with David Banner earlier in this thread. ;) ) ...my friend, you absolutely nailed how I feel about this movie myself although I did enjoy it more than Generations. ;)