A good technical site for Region 2 & 4 releases

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
andy b

A good technical site for Region 2 & 4 releases

#1 Post by andy b »

Does anyone know a good site that gives details of Region 2 & 4 releases.

there are a number of titles on Amazon UK that are either not available in Canada or are full frame here & it would be nice to get the correct versions.

recently got a letter box version of Zulu Dawn & it's great to see it again in the correct ratio.

The 2 titles I am considering are;

The Next Man & The Offense both 70's Sean Connery films, but Amazon do not state if they are full frame or not.

Any help or advice gratefully accepted

regards

Andy B

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I wouldn't bother with THE NEXT MAN Andy -- from what I know, that's still a "public domain" like title and most versions all appear to be bootlegs. I don't know what happened to the ownership of that film, but there are bootlegs everywhere of it and no "official" versions I know of...even Amazon US sells a junky bootleg.

THE OFFENSE is worth it, however -- that is a 16:9 (1.85) DVD from MGM widely available outside North America. I am fairly certain the disc is R2/R4 encoded for worldwide distribution outside the U.S. -- I bought the UK version for massively cheap last year (like $4) and it looks decent, and I am pretty sure the disc is the same no matter what country you buy it from, just with different cover art.

To answer your topic Q, dvdcompare.net is a good site to check on the differences between regions, though it is not complete and updated as much as one might like.

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: To answer your topic Q, dvdcompare.net is a good site to check on the differences between regions, though it is not complete and updated as much as one might like.
I am not familiar with that one. I'll have to check it out!

I myself usually go to http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/compare.htm which has a lot of side-by-side comparisons of DVDs from various regions.

andy b

#4 Post by andy b »

Thank you Andy & Paul

Out of interest on the Next Man Amazon now list a version by Video International do you think this would be the same as the US Arab Conspiracy, which as you point out is an awful copy & version of the film.

I often wish these manufacture sites would give more detail I tracked them down to Lace Films, but the information is very poor.

regards

Andy B