Six Million Dollar Man Complete Series DVD - $239

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Six Million Dollar Man Complete Series DVD - $239

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

About $200 too much for my interest level, but you know there are fans who will pay it!!

https://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... tId=161002

The Six Million Dollar Man: The Complete Collection is now available for the first time ever on DVD. You’ll get all 100 episodes of the groundbreaking series, all digitally remastered and restored for pristine clarity.

The Six Million Dollar Man: The Complete Collection is housed in a 40-DVD Collector’s Box that includes a bionic sound chip and a special 3D lenticular design of Steve Austin. But hurry, this exclusive collection is not available in stores!

Plus, you’ll get over 17 hours of bonus features, including:

* Exclusive new interviews with Lee Majors and Lindsay Wagner
* All three pilot movies of The Six Million Dollar Man
* All three reunion movies of The Six Million Dollar Man
* All crossover episodes of The Bionic Woman
* 17 exclusive featurettes
* Audio Commentaries and Other Interactive Features
* All Five Seasons Uncut
* Collector's Box

Monterey Jack

Re: Six Million Dollar Man Complete Series DVD - $239

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Don't worry, this will be an "online exclusive" for just a few months, and then you'll be able to buy the individual seasons for much cheaper in stores (kind of like that Real Ghostbusters set).

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Don't worry, this will be an "online exclusive" for just a few months, and then you'll be able to buy the individual seasons for much cheaper in stores (kind of like that Real Ghostbusters set).
Yeah no doubt. I'm not sure how much this show holds up, I have vague recollections of watching re-runs when I was a kid -- plus that NBC '80s reunion movie where Sandra Bullock co-starred in it!

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Yeah no doubt. I'm not sure how much this show holds up, I have vague recollections of watching re-runs when I was a kid -- plus that NBC '80s reunion movie where Sandra Bullock co-starred in it!
OMG!!! :shock: :lol:

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

She was also in the WORKING GIRL TV series too -- I remember her being cute back before anyone knew who she was ;)

Paul MacLean

#7 Post by Paul MacLean »

I never really understood how shooting someone in slow-motion was supposed to create the illusion he was running 60 miles an hour. :?

John Johnson

#8 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:She was also in the WORKING GIRL TV series too -- I remember her being cute back before anyone knew who she was ;)
Only eight of the twelve episode made were originally shown. I see Nana Visitor was also in the series. I don't think the series ever played in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Girl_(TV_series)

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Probably didn't, it was an odd summer replacement series on NBC at the time. Nancy McKeon from Facts of Life was supposed to take the roll and Bullock took over before it started, in hindsight despite its lack of success, it probably helped launch her career (someone had to have seen it other than me, lol).

Ghostdude

#10 Post by Ghostdude »

COOOOL but $$$!

John Johnson

#11 Post by John Johnson »

But then there's the big question: the press release contained a note from the producers which informs fans that, "Despite best efforts, Time Life was unable to locate the original master for 'Welcome Home, Jaime - Part 1,' therefore, the syndicated version appears on these DVDs." Does this mean that the episode will appear with the "altered" opening credits of The Bionic Woman, rather than the as-originally-broadcast opening credits of The Six Million Dollar Man? Yes, it will have titles and credits in the style of The Bionic Woman. Matt Hankinson comments that this is the major change to the episode; it otherwise is the "full 50-minute version". Matt also comments that "for a show with 100 episodes and 6 movies, having just one episode not being 100% in its original form is not all that bad." We have to agree with that! Since Time-Life's restored version of the episode is the one provided back to Universal for inclusion as a bonus on their own DVD release of The Bionic Woman - Season 1, we're confident in saying that this is the same version of "Welcome Home Jaime, Part 1" that you'll see on that set as well.

What efforts did Time-Life make to try to get "Welcome Home Jaime, Part 1" in it's original form? After Universal (who they licensed the show from) was unable to provide the original version among the source material for the rest of the show they otherwise furnished, Time-Life checked in with the Library of Congress, with the Paley Institute and even the UCLA archives...none of these had a copy of it in the original form. Time-Life prevailed upon Universal to look further for it, and checked in with their fan consultants as well. Matt Hankinson describes that "Universal contacted all of their international licensees, distributors, syndicators, video divisions, etc. to verify which version they had, with the hopes of finding the original Six Million Dollar Man version. Alas, it was not to be found anywhere.". Joe Burns also points out that another fan who was brought into the project, Jim Sherrard, collected some ¾" U-matic tapes of the original broadcasts (which, reportedly, Lindsay Wagner's mother recorded!), but "Welcome Home, Jaime" was not among them. The consultants even tried to look into whether any of the overseas DVD releases (such as perhaps the one in France) might have had the correct original-network-version of that installment, but unfortunately they were unable to get anywhere using that route. It's too bad that all of these attempts didn't get anywhere, but I think we can all agree that this does represent "best efforts" from Time-Life! But in the meantime, Time-Life and their fan consultants went to extensive efforts to bring you the original versions of every other episode, crossover episode and all six telefilms. You can thank them, for example, for getting a fully restored "Wine, Women and War" version that has never been presented that way on home video, anywhere, until this release.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Six-Mi ... ries/14412

John Johnson

#12 Post by John Johnson »

Since we first posted the press release a week-and-a-half ago, with Time-Life's official announced of The Six Million Dollar Man - The Complete Series on DVD, we've had a number of questions from fans asking for additional details about the set. We answered some of them right away (the next day!), but other inquiries have continued to come up. Our thanks to Time-Life for being so co-operative and answering as many of these as possible!

One frequent question we've gotten from fans has to do with the specs on this 40-DVD release: the video and audio formats, and whether there is any support for fans who might be deaf or otherwise hearing impaired. The answer to the last question is YES! Time-Life informs us that we can expect English SDH subtitles to be present on all of the episodes, the pilot movies, the reunion movies, and even the bonus syndicated versions of the reunion movies. Also, all of the original content on this set is shown as originally broadcast, with 1.33:1 "full frame" video, and English mono sound...just like we all would remember it. That's great to know, and we've already updated our release listing for the title with this info.

Also, there have been some questions about the formal "due date" of this title. The press release said November 23rd, and if you go to order it from Time-Life's USA site or Canadian site, it shows the same availability date. However, some fans have reported seeing other dates, in various places and at different times. We've been told that people have seen November 4th, and November 15th as well. We asked Time-Life about this discrepancy, and the reply is that the OFFICIAL date for this title will continue to be November 23rd. However, as they have done with their previous DVD releases of this nature, Time-Life will endeavor to begin shipping the finished product the moment it reaches their warehouse. So if it arrives one, two or even three weeks earlier than the official schedule suggests it will, then the studio will naturally begin shipping it out immediately to the fans who pre-ordered it. However, no matter what else you see anywhere, the title should not be considered "late" unless it ships to you after November 23rd.

One really terrific question I received about this release was from one of my regular industry contacts, a great person to talk with who is extraordinarily knowledgeable about classic television. My friend reminded me that the second and third pilot telefilms each had a VERY different opening and closing title sequence than fans are used to from seeing in the regular run program. Instead of opening with "a man barely alive", we instead got a "Six Million Dollar Man" theme song with vocals sung by Dusty Springfield (whose career includes hit songs like "I Only Want to Be With You" and "Son of a Preacher Man"). The theme song on these was written by none other than Glen A. Larson (Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Magnum P.I., Switch and so many more), and Stu Phillips (music composer for many of Larson's shows, and others as well) did the arrangement. Honestly, not everybody remembers this music fondly. But will it be on the DVDs for "Wine, Women and War" and "Solid Gold Kidnapping", where they belong? Time-Life tells us YES, it's in there...just as originally broadcast.

However, is there anything fans would like that's NOT in there, such a huge collection? Unfortunately, the answer to that is also "yes". We've been asked by several fans about whether this Six Million Dollar Man set will include the various promos, bumpers, next-on trailers, and so forth. We were told that these are actually owned elsewhere other than NBC/Universal, and so weren't part of the license granted to Time-Life. And while Time-Life looked into the situation, ultimately these were unable to be included on their upcoming DVD release due to clearance issues.

Finally today, fans have wanted to get an even better look at the packaging of the 40-disc set of The Six Million Dollar Man - The Complete Series. Time-Life is still putting the finishing touches on the design of the outer box, so we don't have a close-up image of that for you yet. But in the meantime we've got an Animated GIF image simulating the lenticular portion of the outer box, with Col. Austin running right at you. And we have close-ups of the "inner" cases, which hold the discs. Below you'll see one for each season, plus the one that holds the bonus DVDs with all of Time-Life's in-depth extras (including show star Lee Majors). Bear in mind, please, that those bonus discs are NOT guaranteed to be available at general retail, when Universal starts selling these as season sets in a year (or more). So don't dawdle if you're a big fan of this show: make sure you pre-order your copy, even if you use the "pay in easy installments" plan (which knocks the cost down below $50 per installment...it's like paying under fifty dollars per season, eh?).

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Six-Mi ... ries/14457
Last edited by John Johnson on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Paddon

#13 Post by Eric Paddon »

Well, I got my copy of this a week ago and I find that its easy to go through these episodes at a fairly rapid clip because while they're entertaining for those of us who remember the show vaguely, they are also highly disposable and not terribly engaging IMO since you know that over five to eight minutes of screen time is going to be taken up by slow-motion action sequences. I have to admit these can get a bit annoying to see after awhile because they remind me too much of those hilarious slow-motion fight moments (complete with slowed down grunting) in a Pink Panther movie.

I think also these first two seasons suffer from not yet having the character of Rudy Wells as a full-time regular, which didn't happen until Season 3 and the arrival of Martin E. Brooks replacing Alan Oppenheimer. Most of the episodes I recall more fondly and which I'm looking forward to seeing again date more from that period.

John Johnson

#14 Post by John Johnson »

Amazon deal.

John Johnson

#15 Post by John Johnson »

In 2010, Time Life released a 40-DVD collectible (lenticular artwork and bionic sound effects) package of The Six Million Dollar Man - The Complete Series: it included every episode (including cross-over episodes from The Bionic Woman), all six pre- and post-series telefilms, a dozen featurettes, a half-dozen audio commentaries, and more. This item was exclusively made available from TimeLife.com's online sales site (and is currently selling there for $99.99!). Then, from 2011 to 2014, Universal Studios released all 5 seasons to retail stores, individually, with scaled-back extras (and none of the 3 post-series reunion telefilms), covering a combined 32 DVDs in all.

Today Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that on October 13th they will release a retail version of The Six Million Dollar Man - The Complete Series, on 35 DVDs, with all 5 seasons (as seen in the five individual retail season sets), plus the 3 discs that include the three post-season telefilms (with Bionic Woman Jaime Sommers - who gets her own separate Complete Series DVD release on the same date! - teaming up with Steve Austin in The Return of the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman, Bionic Showdown co-starring Sandra Bullock(!), and Bionic After After?). The "Reunion Collection" pack with those three discs will NOT be available for sale separately, by the way...you can only buy them in The Complete Series. Cost for the new collection is $129.98 SRP, and here's the packaging:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Six-Mi ... ries/21339

In 2010 and 2011, Universal Studios Home Entertainment released all 3 individual season sets of Lindsay Wagner in her iconic role as "Jaime Sommers," The Bionic Woman. Each set (4 discs for Season 1, and 5 discs for the other two seasons) contained all the episodes for each season, plus extras...and there were bonus cross-over episodes of The Six Million Dollar Man to be found as well.

Now, for the first time ever, Universal will release The Bionic Woman - The Complete Series on DVD, with all three seasons compiled together into one package (see artwork below). Pricing is $74.98 SRP, and it will be out on October 13th...the same date that Universal is bringing The Six Million Dollar Man - The Complete Series to stores for the first time. Definitely a terrific twosome worth picking up for the upcoming holidays...and a double dose of Oscar Goldman, too!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bionic ... ries/21338