Warner Home Video unveils a "Superman" 14-disc set

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Bill Williams

Warner Home Video unveils a "Superman" 14-disc set

#1 Post by Bill Williams »

I just got this from a trusted source earlier this morning, so the news is official...

"During a press event earlier today, Warner Home Video made a fairly sensational announcement that is sure to please fans of the “Superman” films. The studio has a 14-disc DVD set in the making of "Superman." The set, called Superman: Ultimate Collector’s Edition is filled with featurettes, documentaries, and other stuff surrounding the Superman feature films, as well as all these films themselves.

"However, best of all, the set will also contain the Richard Donner Cut of Superman 2!

"As fans will undoubtedly know, Richard Donner was relieved as a director from the film and replaced by Richard Lester before he could complete the film. Still, 70% of the movie were finished at the time but never released, of course ,though part of his footage was actually used in Lester’s “Superman2 “ version. But not nearly all of it. There is about 45 minutes of footage that has never been seen before – especially not the way Richard Donner had envisioned it!

"Now, the studio is working with Donner to create the cut of the movie that he had in mind originally, which is VERY cool, of course, painstakingly restored. During the press event we were treated to a five-minute clip from the film - the opening sequence which had never before been seen - and it was a blast!

"Get ready for this one, because it’s going to be huge!"

There's no set release date at this point, but a new interview with Richard Donner on IGN.com (in which he discusses Michael Thau's work on the S2 director's cut) seems to suggest that we can expect this new set around the time of the theatrical release of Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" at the end of June.

Start saving your pennies for this one! :D
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Bill,

Sounds great! I would hope for that they could give us the theatrical version of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE as well as the theatrical edit of SUPERMAN II in a better presentation (that soundtrack is horrid), but I would think they would.

That, PLUS all the cut footage this time from SUPERMAN I, which didn't make it onto that first disc, and the sequels too!

I have mixed feelings on a "new edit" of SUPERMAN II -- these new edits requiring F/X work somehow don't turn out totally "right" -- but any way to see the stuff that was never finished would be terrific!

Needless to say -- unlike the APES set -- THIS I will spring for!! :)

Thanks for posting as always, as well!

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Here's some more info about this and other 2006 releases.....note that KONG is only going to be a single disc (!) release. Maybe they meant that the "Peter Jackson Production Diaries" would be the supplements after all? :shock:

Warner Unveils Aggressive Catalog Initiative for 2006
Author: Thomas K. Arnold
http://www.videostoremag.com/
Posted: January 31, 2006
Email this Story to Friend

Last fall's lavish The Wizard of Oz and King Kong DVD gift sets was only the beginning. After years of watching other studios blow out their libraries at a rapid clip, Warner Home Video this year is preparing a major catalog initiative that will see a record 200-plus titles hit the market, the vast majority appearing on DVD for the first time.

Classics also factor in Warner's plans for HD DVD, the first of two rival next-generation formats to come to market. They will arrive on high-def the same day Warner bows special-edition DVDs. Titles include The Maltese Falcon and The Forbidden Planet.

Warner's classic release slate also includes 52 collections, including Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart “signature collection” sets and a lavish 14-disc “Superman” set that features the famed “Richard Donner” cut of Superman II, up to 40% longer than the theatrical version. Donner was fired 70% into the shoot, and much of what he filmed has been locked away in the vaults. Newly restored footage includes an alternate opening in which Lois Lane suspects Clark Kent is the Man of Steel and then almost dies trying to prove it.

“The death of the DVD business has been greatly exaggerated,” said Jeff Baker, SVP and general manager of Warner's theatrical catalog unit. Baker notes that while Warner’s overall theatrical catalog DVD sales slipped 3.5% in 2005, unit sales rose a healthy 11.4%. Baker blames price erosion at retail and vows more pricy special editions in 2006.

“The fact that unit sales were up speaks to the fact that consumers still have a robust appetite for catalog movies,” Baker said.

Internal research shows Warner with a 22% share of the theatrical catalog market.

Of the 6,600 theatrical films in Warner's library, just 1,200 have been released on DVD, compared to 3,100 on VHS.

Highlights of the initiative include a new line of budget-priced double features and DVD debuts of such classics as Baby Face, a collection of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz films, the 1962 Marlon Brando version of Mutiny on the Bounty and the racing classic Grande Prix.

Also, expect a single-disc, movie-only DVD of King Kong on March 28, when sources expect Universal to bow on DVD the film's big budget Peter Jackson remake.

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

mkaroly

#5 Post by mkaroly »

14 discs???? Ouch! That's gonna hurt the wallet. For those of us who have no desire to see anthing connected with Supe III and IV, I hope these sets are available separately in some way, shape, or form.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I quite enjoy SUPERMAN III and can't stand SUPERMAN IV, but I'd still like to see what they have in terms of cut footage for either of those (how 'bout just putting the TV versions of both on there in addition to theatrical cuts?).

After Anchor Bay handled SUPERGIRL I have little interest in shelling out money for another copy of that mess (Helen Slater's cuteness factor notwithstanding) -- though the transfer on their "International Cut" of SUPERGIRL is over-matted and could use remastering. Even the Japanese DTS DVD I have of that is sadly from the same materials as the Anchor Bay release, and is framed too tightly, cropping out material on the bottom of the frame that you can see in other versions of the movie (including the "TV Version Director's Cut" or whatever they called it).

I'm not getting hyped up over the "re cut" of SUPERMAN II. I'll be thrilled to see the cut footage but I highly doubt it's going to compare to the theatrical version for me at least...Donner never finished the movie so, regardless of what they come up with, it's not ever going to be a truly "alternate" cut of the movie since he never completed it to begin with. Hopefully it will be watchable, but I shudder at the thought of new FX or whatever they have planned.

Anyway this may be a must-have for Superman fans...I'm just worried about the price tag!

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Bill Hunt had some excellent news at
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa114.html#sup

Is it me or do you find it curious that they're doing a "Donner cut" of SUPERMAN II even though
a) Donner never completed the movie
b) Donner has little interest in revisiting it
c) someone else at Warner is re-cutting the material

I'm VERY curious in seeing the cut footage though, even if some of it sounds horrid. I read that years ago about Lois' alternate plan of proving Clark is Superman -- but never thought it was a believable idea for her to jump out the window of the Daily Planet...but perhaps that IS just me.

Speaking of that, thumbs-down to WB if they only provide this cut in the box set...I can't see any way this set won't retail for between $150-$200 (probably around $130 after pre-order discounts at Amazon, etc.)...that's a hefty amount of change if all you want to see the alternate version. :(

Late in 2006 (tentatively in November, timed to coincide with the DVD release of Bryan Singer's Superman Returns), look for a 14-disc Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition box set. This will feature new deluxe editions of all four of the original feature films, including a Superman II: Special Edition with something called The Donner Cut. This is being assembled by editor Michael Thaw based on the film's original shooting script and Donnor's original notes. At least 50% of the film will be footage you've never seen, more than 70% of it directed by Donner. You'll also get Richard Lester's final theatrical cut of the film. The Donner Cut will only be available on DVD in the Ultimate Collector's Edition box set, although it will also be released in HD-DVD (and likely Blu-ray Disc if that format is available).

We were actually shown a clip of the new Donner Cut at the event - the original opening to Superman II, in which Lois Lane notices a picture of Superman in a copy of The Daily Planet... and then she looks at Clark Kent standing nearby... and she begins drawing glasses, a suit and hat on the picture of Superman. She figures it out. Then she tells Clark she knows who she really is... and jumps out Perry White's office window to prove she's right. Clark runs at super-speed downstairs, and blows up at the falling Lois to slow her fall. She lands safely in a fruit stand, by which time Clark has already run back upstairs to preserve his identity. Someone asks him where Lois is, and he replies, "Uh... she just stepped out for a minute."

An interesting thing to note however, is that it seems Richard Donner himself hasn't yet been involved (and is not involved in cutting the new version of the film). During the event, I chatted with AICN's Drew McWeeny (well known as "Moriarty" over there) who told me that he's been interviewing Donner recently (watch for that to be posted on AICN soon). The director has reportedly told Drew that he's not really interested in revisiting the film. When asked during the event what Donner's involvement was (whether or not he'd do commentary, etc), Warner execs said, "That's still to be decided." Our guess is that the studio is still negotiating with Donner to participate, and that it's merely a matter of a dollar figure that everyone is happy with. Cross your fingers on this, because it'd be a real shame if he declined to be involved. FYI, IGN also has a brief interview with Donner that touches on this.

MarkB

#8 Post by MarkB »

AndyDursin wrote:Here's some more info about this and other 2006 releases.....note that KONG is only going to be a single disc (!) release. Maybe they meant that the "Peter Jackson Production Diaries" would be the supplements after all? :shock:
I think you misread that, Andy. I'm pretty sure they meant that there will be a single-disc release of the 1933 version at the time the remake is released on DVD. Warner has nothing to do with the remake.

I'm willing to bet that the remake will be a two-disc set (for starters).

Mark

Bill Williams

Re: Warner Home Video unveils a "Superman" 14-disc

#9 Post by Bill Williams »

Is it me or do you find it curious that they're doing a "Donner cut" of SUPERMAN II even though
Andy, as long as Richard Donner gives his blessing to the final product that Michael Thau puts together, I'm fine with it.
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

MarkB wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:Here's some more info about this and other 2006 releases.....note that KONG is only going to be a single disc (!) release. Maybe they meant that the "Peter Jackson Production Diaries" would be the supplements after all? :shock:
I think you misread that, Andy. I'm pretty sure they meant that there will be a single-disc release of the 1933 version at the time the remake is released on DVD. Warner has nothing to do with the remake.

I'm willing to bet that the remake will be a two-disc set (for starters).

Mark
I know Universal produced the remake -- it never occurred to me Warner would waste their time releasing a single-disc release of the old movie. The 2-disc is only $17 and the whole 4-disc "Kong Collection" could be had for $20 at Amazon. Seems like a waste of time...anyone who wanted the '33 version already has it...and what's it going to retail for, $3 less?? :?:
Last edited by AndyDursin on Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

Re: Warner Home Video unveils a "Superman" 14-disc

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Bill Williams wrote:
Andy, as long as Richard Donner gives his blessing to the final product that Michael Thau puts together, I'm fine with it.
I'm fine with whatever they put together, because I want to see the cut footage. Still, I assume they're going to need to finish the movie with Lester footage, no? Thus it's going to be something of a hybrid between the TV cut, the theatrical cut, and then some other footage we've never seen...and I hope they do a good job. Forgive me but I just get weary when people "pick and choose" deleted scenes into incorporate back into a movie. Why Donner chose to put that endless sequence where Superman gets tested in Lex Luthor's lair back into his SUPERMAN DVD cut -- and not some of Gene Hackman's more amusing outtakes -- was curious to me (and I agreed with Tom Mankiewicz, who didn't like that scene either; menawhile there were plenty of other good sequences Donner didn't put back!).

Would be nice if they'd put Brando's scenes back in there, however...has anyone mentioned that yet?

Eric Paddon

#12 Post by Eric Paddon »

The Brando scenes for II are for me, the only ones of great significance I want to see in a new "Donner cut". I've always maintained that those scenes, especially the one in II where Superman's powers are restored, are the ones that would provide the essential continuity from first to second movie that is really missing without those scenes.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:The Brando scenes for II are for me, the only ones of great significance I want to see in a new "Donner cut". I've always maintained that those scenes, especially the one in II where Superman's powers are restored, are the ones that would provide the essential continuity from first to second movie that is really missing without those scenes.
Agreed Eric. The other element about this -- the people who dislike the theatrical version and everything Lester did basically complain about the scenes with the Phantom Zone villains in Texas and such, no? Since Donner didn't ever finish his "version" and there's no way of really reconstructing sequences he never shot, what are they going to do? I can't recall specifically but he didn't shoot any of that material, did he?

For example, the Niagara Falls sequences worked fine for me. I'm not sure how the tone is going to change by using what sounds like a sillier sequence with Lois Lane jumping out the window at the Daily Planet.

The Brando sequences are what interest me the most, and I hope they're able to utilize them. :)

Eric Paddon

#14 Post by Eric Paddon »

Lester also did most of the final takes on the fight scenes in the Fortress, with a double used for Gene Hackman, who refused to come back for any new material after Donner was let go.

This is the one scene that matters most above all IMO. Reprinted from the original script.

INT. FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE - NIGHT

The silence has a deathly quality about it as CAMERA pans the empty Fortress. The rows of smashed crystals lie scattered across the energy bank area. A noise is heard. As CAMERA PANS, CLARK comes into frame.

CLOSER ON CLARK

He shivers with the cold, his torn clothes soaked by the outside weather. His face is badly marked with bruises and dried blood from the fight outside the diner. He stares hard at the empty walls of the Fortress, feels the silence, then feverishly begins to pick his way through the crystal debris, desperately searching for one which is undamaged, a piece of one which will fit in the mechanism - anthing which will enable him to contact JOR-EL. There is nothing. CLARK stops, rises, stands in the pile of broken crystal, arms by his side in utter defeat. Eyes glazing over, he speaks softly, almost trembling.

CLARK
Father - if you can hear me - I have failed. I have failed you, myself, and all humanity. I have traded my birthright for a life of submission in a world now ruled by your enemies. There is no one left to help them, father, the people of the world. Not since I ...

HIGH ANGLE

CLARK stops, wheels, screams pleadingly.

CLARK
Father! ....

The sound echoes off the wall of the Fortress until, finally there is silence again.

BACK TO CLARK

CLARK turns, starts to walk away, suddenly stops, stares hard at the energy bank.

INSERT SHOT - GREEN CRYSTAL

The green crystal which was sent to Earth in the baby SUPERMAN’S rocket module - the crystal whose energy constructed the Fortress itself - still glows, embedded in the center of the energy bank.

BACK TO SCENE

CLARK moves to the energy bank, removes the crystal, looks down at it. With a final last hope, he crosses to the bench, inserts it into the playing mechanism. It fits. He steps back, waits. Suddenly - the light in the Fortress flickers. Then - the face of JOR-EL appears, deeply lined with care.

JOR-EL
Listen carefully, my son, for we shall
never speak again.
If you hear me now, then you
have made use of the only means left
to you - the crystal source through
which our communication was begun.
The circle is now complete.

JOR-EL’S image grows brighter, his eyes more intense.

JOR-EL
You have made a dreadful mistake, Kal-El.
You have abandoned the world
for the sake of private ambition.
You did this of your own free will,
and in spite of all I could say to
dissuade you.

CLARK
I.....

JOR-EL
Now you have returned here to me for one
last chance to redeem yourself. This too - finally - I have anticipated, my son.
(pause)
Look at me, Kal-El ....

CLARK stares at him. JOR-EL’S eyes dance with light.

JOR-EL
Once before, when you were small,
I died while giving you a chance
for life. And now, even though
it will exhaust the final energy
left within me .....

CLARK
(turns frightened)
Father, no ! ..........

JOR-EL
Look at me, Kal-El!

CLARK turns, stares back, JOR-EL’s face grows larger. Hand reaches out toward his son, the index finger extended, his expression almost mystical.

JOR-EL
The Kryptonian prophesy will be at
last fulfilled. The son becomes
the father - the father becomes the son. Goodbye forever, Kal-El.
Remember me, my son ....

CLARK starts to speak, but JOR-EL’S eyes suddenly come ablaze with energy, riveting him to the spot. Two dazzling white arcs of light shoot into CLARK, racking his body with involuntary vibrations. CAMERA PIUSHES IN on JOR-EL’S face, straining to summon up the suicidal energy, until only his blinding eyes are in the frame.

ANGLE ON CLARK

His body distended with the transfer of energy. The force of it almost physically unbearable. CLARK’S own eyes suddenly seem to burst apart, as for a split second he sees:

ANGLE ON JOR-EL - CLARK’S POV

For an instant, JOR-EL actually stands before his son - a serene smile on his face, his arm extended in farewell. Just as suddenly - he disappears.

BACK TO CLARK

CLARK
(screams) Father! ....

CLARK’S hand comes back... (rest of sentence obscured in original script)

WIDE ANGLE

Total silence. The only things visible: The throbbing green crystal in the mechanism and the lifeless body of CLARK on the floor, a strange aura pulsating out from within his body.

romanD

#15 Post by romanD »

oh my... they did not even bother to release Part 3 and 4 in Europe... I doubt we will get this set and even if we do, nobody will buy it... Superman sucks! lol

ok, liked part 2 quite a bit, but havent seen it in decades... at least they could recut the title sequences, which still are probably the longest ever, aren't they? you are already asleep when the movie finally starts... :wink: