THE MERV GRIFFIN BOX SET

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Michael Ryan

THE MERV GRIFFIN BOX SET

#1 Post by Michael Ryan »

Hello All,

Hey Andyman, it's almost June...are those wedding bells I hear off in the distance?

Depending on your age you may or may not remember The Merv Griffin Show. He had a talk show during the '60s, '70s and most of the '80s. He could be funny like Carson, but he could also have serious shows. He had on lots of incredible guest.

Unlike today's talk shows where you get five minutes and then you're off. Merv's show could have the same guest for 20 or 30 minutes and many times even longer! Some guest he would have on many times. I remember being GLUED to my TV set everytime Orson Welles was on. On one show Welles was on for the full 90 minutes. Welles was such a great speaker and he had lots of interesting stuff to talk about. It was from Welles that I first heard about Nikola Tesla.

Well, today I have picked up the box set of The Merv Griffin Show and it comes in a really nice case and contains almost NINE HOURS of interviews. Talk about getting your money's worth. I'm REALLY looking forward to watching this (of course, not all in one sitting).

I will let you guys know if the Orson Welles was good. I think he was on over 40 times.

Mike

Eric Paddon

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

The Orson Welles interview on this set marked the only time, Merv recalls, that Orson allowed Merv to ask him questions about his past, and in particular about his past marriage with Rita Hayworth.

Two hours after finishing the interview, Welles died. When you watch this, you're literally looking at a man who only had that much longer to live.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Mike, sounds great! And yes June is fast approaching...I'm just trying to keep up with the amount of DVDs I've been receiving and trying to be ready. We're not going on the honeymoon until after Thanksgiving (that post-Thanksgiving, pre-Christmas window) so at least I will have time to prepare for that!

Thanks for the heads up on the Merv set. As a vintage TV junkie, even though some of this was "before my time," I'm very interested in checking it out, and the price is certainly reasonable.

Speaking of talk shows are those Johnny Carson DVDs any good? I've read conflicting things about them...