Star Trek - The Motion Picture DIRECTOR'S EDITION UHD/BD Release; Limited Set Includes 1983 TV Version!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
mkaroly

Re: Star Trek - The Motion Picture DIRECTOR'S EDITION UHD/BD Release; Limited Set Includes 1983 TV Version!

#91 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:29 am I think it's shameful this "15 disc" 1-6 megabox DOESN'T HAVE THAT BONUS DISC IN IT.

UGH.
WTF???? :evil: :evil:

Edit - the Amazon summary says there is a Blu-Ray bonus disc in this set. I am confused??

AndyDursin

Re: Star Trek - The Motion Picture DIRECTOR'S EDITION UHD/BD Release; Limited Set Includes 1983 TV Version!

#92 Post by AndyDursin »

The Blu-Ray "bonus disc" is the supplemental disc with the special features on it I believe.

The 4K UHD limited edition set has the bonus disc with the 1983 Special Longer cut and the theatrical version. And that $100 set is the only place to get it apparently.

mkaroly

#93 Post by mkaroly »

Oh...then the Amazon Product Description is in error. Buyer beware!

Director Robert Wise’s definitive vision, eagerly anticipated by STAR TREK fans for over two decades, has been meticulously restored and remastered for optimal picture and sound. This must-have, limited collector’s edition—THE COMPLETE ADVENTURE—exclusively contains the “Special Longer Version” of STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, alongside the original 1979 theatrical cut, in 4K UHD in deluxe packaging with unique collectibles. Additionally, a bonus disc has been included with hours of new and legacy special features, including extensive behind the scenes footage, never-before-scenes deleted scenes, and more. The adventure begins when an unidentified alien intruder destroys three powerful Klingon cruisers. Captain James T. Kirk boldly returns to the helm of a newly transformed U.S.S. Enterprise to take command. This bold adventure launched one of the longest running movie franchises of all time and features the cast of the original STAR TREK series, including William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, and James Doohan.

AndyDursin

#94 Post by AndyDursin »

The description is accurate...the "Complete Adventure" $100 set has all of that.

The $30 set has the Blu-Ray extra disc you bolded. But it DOESN'T have the UHD bonus disc that has the "Special Longer Version" or the Theatrical Cut.

So the $30 set has:
Ultra HD Disc bonus features

Audio Commentary with David C. Fein, Mike Matessino, and Daren R. Dochterman—NEW!
Audio Commentary by Robert Wise, Douglas Trumbull, John Dykstra, Jerry Goldsmith, and Stephen Collins​
Text Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda​

Blu-ray Disc™ bonus features

The Human Adventure—An all-new 8-part documentary detailing how the Director’s Edition came to life—NEW!
Preparing the Future – How the remastering began
A Wise Choice – The storied history of Robert Wise
Refitting the Enterprise – How the Enterprise design shaped future federation starships
Sounding Off – Exploring new dimensions of sound in Dolby Atmos
V’ger - The conception and restoration of an iconic alien antagonist
Return to Tomorrow – Reaching an already high bar with new CGI effects
A Grand Theme – Behind the iconic, influential music score that shaped the franchise’s future
The Grand Vision – The legacy and evolving reputation of this classic movie
Deleted Scenes—NEW!
Effects Tests—NEW!
Costume Tests—NEW!
Computer Display Graphics—NEW!
Additional legacy bonus content
...then the $100 set adds this:
This Limited-Edition Collector’s Set includes all of the above, plus an additional 4K Ultra HD disc containing:

The Theatrical Cut
The first-ever widescreen presentation of the Special Longer Version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, originally created for broadcast television in 1983

The set is presented in deluxe packaging along with exclusive collectibles, including reproductions of original promotional material, a booklet with behind-the-scenes images, stickers, and more

mkaroly

#95 Post by mkaroly »

Ah...my bad. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Sorry - long day at work.

Chris Shaneyfelt

#96 Post by Chris Shaneyfelt »

Thank you for the news, Andy! Gosh, how I wish you didn't have to pay $100 to get the 1983 broadcast cut. I would love to have that disc!

AndyDursin

#97 Post by AndyDursin »

Heads-up if you want the '83 Special Longer Version:

AndyDursin

#98 Post by AndyDursin »

Amazon UK price for this is $76 after ship/tax (VAT removed).

Eric Paddon

#99 Post by Eric Paddon »

I've done my pre-order. If I didn't I know I'd regret it later.

mkaroly

#100 Post by mkaroly »

Ordered! Lol...

Paul MacLean

#101 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:38 pm Image
...until it's reissued on something like 8K disc in three years! :lol:

AndyDursin

#102 Post by AndyDursin »

Amazon UK canceled my order from the other day!

Here's another option" Walmart's pre-order is $82, better than Amazon (so far):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STAR-TREK-1- ... gn_id=9383

AndyDursin

#103 Post by AndyDursin »

If you can find $13 of other items, the 4K limited UHD box is $59 after coupon MU22AUG at Moviesunlimited --

https://www.moviesunlimited.com/star-tr ... 1329222782

Code is for $30 off $100. I picked up a $12.99 Paramount catalog BD (THE ACCUSED) to push it over the $100 threshold.

Moviesunlimited is now just an off-shoot of Deepdiscount and that ownership group, so it's the same as placing an order from DDD, ImportCDs, or any of their sites.

Eric Paddon

#104 Post by Eric Paddon »

My copy just arrived. And all discs promptly go into a regular Blu-Ray four disc case (with my Star Trek II blu-ray to fill the final slot). Once again these deluxe things are put in AWFUL packaging that jam discs inside to the point where they are impossible to get out without running the risk of getting your fingerprints all over the back. Yet time and again, they give us this cheap gimmicky packaging that you can't put on your shelf next to other discs etc. and are a waste of space.

Monterey Jack

#105 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric Paddon wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:29 pm Yet time and again, they give us this cheap gimmicky packaging that you can't put on your shelf next to other discs etc. and are a waste of space.
"But-but-but, it's impossible to scratch a BD/UHD disc...!" :roll: