Star Trek - The Motion Picture DIRECTOR'S EDITION UHD/BD Release; Limited Set Includes 1983 TV Version!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Re: Star Trek - The Motion Picture DIRECTOR'S EDITION UHD/BD Release; Limited Set Includes 1983 TV Version!

#106 Post by Eric Paddon »

Lucky me. I got stuck with a defective disc. Freezes up during the Expanded cut playback at the 47 minute mark and becomes worthless. The only reason I got the damned set in the first place, so I could see the cut of the film I most wanted to see, and this happens. I have zero interest in the other cuts of the film because to be honest, I don't think that highly of the first movie or any of the other Trek movies save WOK.

Amazon will not let me do an exchange. I have to pick something else or get a refund if I want to send it back.

What a worthless purchase on my part and to see this happen on my first ever Ultra HD playback really has soured me from ever wanting to get more discs in this format.

mkaroly

Re: Star Trek - The Motion Picture DIRECTOR'S EDITION UHD/BD Release; Limited Set Includes 1983 TV Version!

#107 Post by mkaroly »

I am still waiting on mine...not coming until the end of Spetember.

AndyDursin

#108 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:49 pm Lucky me. I got stuck with a defective disc. Freezes up during the Expanded cut playback at the 47 minute mark and becomes worthless. The only reason I got the damned set in the first place, so I could see the cut of the film I most wanted to see, and this happens. I have zero interest in the other cuts of the film because to be honest, I don't think that highly of the first movie or any of the other Trek movies save WOK.

Amazon will not let me do an exchange. I have to pick something else or get a refund if I want to send it back.

What a worthless purchase on my part and to see this happen on my first ever Ultra HD playback really has soured me from ever wanting to get more discs in this format.
What player are you using? Also, try wiping the disc down with some warm water, some of these had "something left over from the plant" on the surface (mine didn't but others did).

Eric Paddon

#109 Post by Eric Paddon »

My new Sony ultra-HD player. I never owned one before and never had a TV this large (50 inches) before.

There was no residue on this. I just wiped it hard as I could and have reloaded it. Jumped to the problem (just before Chapter 14) area and now it seems to play normally. Will try to resume from there to the finish. But this is going to teach me to not be so aggressive getting Ultra HD versions for the sake of it. (I wish this problem had been on the theatrical cut which I had no intention of watching)

BobaMike

#110 Post by BobaMike »

I wouldn't let one bad time ruin 4k disks for you, especially if it's working fine. I try and get them for new releases if the price is good.

I got the newer Hitchcock 4k set and they do look pretty good!

AndyDursin

#111 Post by AndyDursin »

Agreed, I definitely wouldn't let the experience deter you...it's probably a bad disc. Send it back and try buying it again. If it happens again the player probably needs a firmware update. I mean, I haven't run into a new release UHD that's done that, and I review multiple titles, obviously, every few month. It's not a "janky format". It isn't as robust as Blu-Ray in terms of resistance to finger prints/scratches but it's not a problematic "new format" that has a lot of issues. 8)

Eric Paddon

#112 Post by Eric Paddon »

I am going through it again. Problems aren't as there this time BUT I decided for the hell of it since I can afford it to buy another set and maybe later I'll return one of them. Amazon only selling through third parties at this point on it which is why you can't do a direct exchange.

I won't let it keep me from ordering other discs in this format but since I Have just moved into smaller quarters I do have to be mindful of not going overboard so any purchases will be judicious. Jaws yes. The upcoming WOTW paired with the domestic Blu-Ray of When Worlds Collide yes and maybe Hitchcock later.

AndyDursin

#113 Post by AndyDursin »

If the player is connected to the internet and it's new, it's worth making sure the firmware is updated.

Eric Paddon

#114 Post by Eric Paddon »

Well I did do the firmware update. And my second copy came today and played fine so I've at least got one good version.

Dipped another toe in the water on Ultra HD by getting "Jaws" as well.

AndyDursin

#115 Post by AndyDursin »

Jaws is awesome.

Finally opened up my Directors Edition limited box which I had to buy twice to get an unmolested copy of. They did an excellent job on the Special Longer Version, those added scenes are true HD and not upscaled from standard Def. I expected as much but was still happy to see it!

Paul MacLean

#116 Post by Paul MacLean »

The Goldsmith Odyssey podcast recently featured a lenghthy, in-depth interview with Mike Mattesino about his work on both the DVD and recent 4K restoration.

It's over four hours long (!) but it is very interesting (I took it in over two days, during two long drives on the highway). I have to admit it did force me to re-evaluate the Director's Edition -- though I still object to the replaced music cue near the end of the film (which I was disappointed to find this podcast did not address).

Nevertheless it is a very good listen. Mattesino has a lot of interesting anecdotes about Robert Wise and Jerry Goldsmith.

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com ... on-picture

Chris Shaneyfelt

#117 Post by Chris Shaneyfelt »

It's over four hours long (!) but it is very interesting (I took it in over two days, during two long drives on the highway). I have to admit it did force me to re-evaluate the Director's Edition -- though I still object to the replaced music cue near the end of the film (which I was disappointed to find this podcast did not address).
I enjoyed that Goldsmith Odyssey episode too, Paul. I think Mike may have briefly discussed the music cue you referenced. There is a bit about a replaced music cue starting at 2:22:23 mark of the Apple podcast. It's the cue that plays when Decker says: "Jim, I want this. As much as you want the Enterprise, I want this."

Paul MacLean

#118 Post by Paul MacLean »

Chris Shaneyfelt wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:34 pm I think Mike may have briefly discussed the music cue you referenced. There is a bit about a replaced music cue starting at 2:22:23 mark of the Apple podcast. It's the cue that plays when Decker says: "Jim, I want this. As much as you want the Enterprise, I want this."
And went back and checked -- and your right! :oops:

I wonder if my iPod somehow skipped over that section (it was behaving oddly the day I was listening to the podcast).

Chris Shaneyfelt

#119 Post by Chris Shaneyfelt »

And went back and checked -- and your right! :oops:

I wonder if my iPod somehow skipped over that section (it was behaving oddly the day I was listening to the podcast).
I'm glad that turns out to be the cue you were referencing, Paul. As you pointed out, the podcast is incredibly long - even as engaging as it was, I just can't stay focused on an audio discussion for long stretches of time! Your iPod may skip but my brain skips!

AndyDursin

#120 Post by AndyDursin »

Thats insane, much too long of a podcast. Editing is as much of a skill as asking the question!