AVATAR - THE WAY OF WATER "Like Being Waterboarded With Turquoise Cement"

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: AVATAR - THE WAY OF WATER "Like Being Waterboarded With Turquoise Cement"

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

$130-$150 mil opening weekend

On the low end, that would be less than half of SPIDER-MAN NO WAY HOME's opening weekend.

Paul MacLean

#17 Post by Paul MacLean »

I finally watched the trailer.

What is this movie about?

It certainly "looks cool" -- but it looks about as realistic as Toy Story.

The mermaid girl is cute tho.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul, if you don't know....the blue people are good. The humans are bad. And I'm guessing they're all white too. Please try and keep up, it's VERY complicated :lol: ;)

Monterey Jack

#19 Post by Monterey Jack »

Loved it. Realize I'm in the minority on this particular forum, but I don't care. :)

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

Disney stock crashes to lowest point since March 2020 after Avatar's weekend performance.

Monterey Jack

#21 Post by Monterey Jack »

Made it to the billion dollar mark in under two weeks.

"No one remembers Avatar...!"

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes the fastest....since all the way back in 2021 with SPIDER-MAN NO WAY HOME. Billions in worldwide box-office post-COVID don't mean what they used to when there's not a single viable piece of competition playing against it.

Either way it's great news for huge budget special effects-dominated sequels -- hopefully they'll make more of them now! :lol:

BobaMike

#23 Post by BobaMike »

Posted here and in the Movies thread:

Saw Avatar 2 today for my birthday. Long movie, and not any better than the first one 3/5 stars I guess.
The FX are pretty great, considering it's all just a cartoon. It looks like real water, the aliens look real, but I was never excited by anything I saw. Knowing that it's all on computer, whereas something like Top Gun was real made a big difference. The 3D was neat, but like all other 3d movies, you forget it's 3D 10 minutes in. To me 3D only works if the camera is stationary. As soon as it moves, it just looks like a 3D video game.

Hour 1: Reintroduce everything (Na-vi good, humans bad. Pandora is paradise, with animals and plants that are magical plot devices).
Hour 2: Free-Willy/ fake underwater sea documentary. Na'vi can speak to whales now! We even get whale eye viewpoint. One good shark chase that was actually a bit tense.
A major subplot is about being anti-whaling. That James Cameron, what a risk-taker.
Hour 3: Battle/titanic sinking ship. Best part of the movie, although the army of Na'vi strangely are absent for the last half. Did they leave? Take a nap? The fight through a capsizing ship was cool. Made me wish someone would remake Poseidon Adventure in 3D!
Annoying point - one character has no problem killing tons of baddies, but the main bad guy? Nope. Saves him. For the sequel.

The score is okay, when it is noticeable. Sounds almost like Horner. I liked hearing the Danger Motif again! The song at the end is garbage.

My son said he liked it more than the first, although there was a lot of squirming. I'll be fine if I never see it again.