MARATHON MAN (1976) - Andy's 4K UHD Review

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

MARATHON MAN (1976) - Andy's 4K UHD Review

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

8/10

One of the most exciting mid ‘70s thrillers, the all-star Robert Evans production of William Goldman’s novel MARATHON MAN (125 mins., 1976, R) became a box-office hit in the Fall of ‘76 and remains a suspenseful, superbly helmed ride from director John Schlesinger. One of many classics hitting 4K UHD this year, Kino Lorber’s new 4K scan of the Original Camera Negative results in a marvelous transfer with Dolby Vision HDR, adding fresh layers to Conrad Hall’s cinematography, including enhanced depth and shading absent from previous home video releases, even Paramount’s earlier Blu-Ray.

Mostly shot on-location in New York City, “Marathon Man”’s authentic “you are there” surroundings add immeasurably to its story of a grad student (Dustin Hoffman) becoming involved with his brother’s (Roy Scheider) secretive government work. This involves being a courier for diamonds being sold by an infamous Nazi (Laurence Olivier) living in seclusion in the South American jungle; however, after his brother’s death in NYC, Olivier’s Szell decides to come to America to access his diamond cache, taking out government agents he’s aligned with and Hoffman himself, even though he doesn’t have a good answer when Olivier asks “is it safe?”

Co-starring William Devane as Scheider’s untrustworthy fellow agent and Marthe Keller as a Swiss student (or is she?) Hoffman becomes involved with, “Marathon Man” was based on Goldman’s 1974 novel, one that was immediately snapped up by Paramount and Evans, who put film into production with an A-grade cast across the board. The resulting film is creepy, fast-moving and top-rate in every facet, from its performances to Michael Small’s dramatic score and Hall’s cinematography.

We’ve seen numerous catalog UHD releases already this year and Kino Lorber’s Dolby Vision HDR presentation of “Marathon Man” is unquestionably one of the best. Colors are a little more intense but it’s the difference in contrast that marks this as a truly superior image to previous editions of “Marathon Man,” which appeared flat and fairly ordinary in previous home video transfers. The off-kilter mood of the film and Hall’s work are enriched by this outstanding release (1.85), which also includes a Blu-Ray derived from the same 4K OCN scan and both 5.1/2.0 stereo mixes. Note the film was originally released in mono but this Paramount DVD-era remix is superb in its imaging and sound stage, with Small’s score a beneficiary of the enhanced stereo surround field.

Kino Lorber has included an enjoyable new commentary from one of my favorite disc duos, Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson, that offers insight into the film and especially its NYC location shooting (with a little L.A. thrown into the mix). Other extras have been carried over from the DVD release including a vintage Making Of hosted by Evans, rehearsal footage, the trailer, and a 2001 retrospective Making Of sporting interviews with Hoffman, Scheider, Keller and Goldman. A highly recommended package for an exciting film that manages to maintain its suspense even on repeat viewing.

Edmund Kattak

Re: MARATHON MAN (1976) - Andy's 4K UHD Review

#2 Post by Edmund Kattak »

MARATHON MAN was a required film in two classes that I took back in college: Screenwriting and Film as a Medium. I am glad to hear that it's in 4K and the transfer is great. I will certainly pick this up when it comes out in a couple of weeks.
Indeed,
Ed

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

I am ashamed to say that, to this day, I still have never seen this film. Just never got around to it.

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

mkaroly wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:46 am I am ashamed to say that, to this day, I still have never seen this film. Just never got around to it.
Don't feel bad. I didn't see it until maybe 3-4 years ago!

I agree with Andy's review though -- it is a highly-effective and well-acted thriller, and well-worth a look.

BobaMike

#5 Post by BobaMike »

I've never seen it either. Thanks for the recommendation!

Eric Paddon

#6 Post by Eric Paddon »

I never saw this movie until I got the 4K release as a freebie with Amazon points. The 4K transfer is the only thing that made it watchable for me with the beautiful location photography. I found the plot to be a bizarre incomprehensible mess that makes no sense whatsoever even in the context of cynical 70s films. It's more like a series of set pieces shoehorned into a plot with no consideration for whether it actually works or flows naturally and that even includes the "is it safe" scene.

I found it surreal to see in one of the diamond scenes Olivier interacting with Michael "Time to Make the Donuts" Vale. Quick check of the commentary it was annoying to hear the commentator say they didn't know his name. Really, all you had to do was Google it! Before that, the annoying jewler who talks his ear off to Olivier is Harry Goz who was the Apple in the Fruit of the Loom ads in those days (and was also a replacement Teyve in the original Broadway run of "Fiddler On The Roof").