Rocketeer Blu-Ray in December

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: Rocketeer Blu-Ray in December...?!

#16 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Not surprised...Disney's not going to invest much in this title. We're lucky we're seeing it at all on BD.

That said, I think it'd be better for most consumers if this ended up a Mill Creek bargain title at $5-$10 instead of a $20+ retail release considering there's nothing on it.
I'm just glad to be getting an anamorphic, high-def release of the film at all, but seeing a "20th Anniversary Edition" banner at the top of the cover art makes me sad there won't be anything added. Wasn't there a Disney Channel making of from back in the day? How much would that add to the production of the disc to throw it on? Anyways, as usual, I'll be waiting for a $10-or-less sale price within six months of the initial release date.

Eric W.

#17 Post by Eric W. »

They're saving up for the inevitable 3D double dip version that'll come out in about a year or so that includies the 3D BD, the regular BD, the Digital Copy, and all the goodies that should have been on this to begin with. And that set will be the only way to get it.

Mark my words. :wink: :roll:

I'm rolling my eyes because you know that concept has more than a grain of truth going for it.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

Well, it depends on the movie. I don't see another release looming for THE ROCKEETER for a long while, considering that they only released the movie once on DVD -- and in non-anamorphic widescreen, in 1999! That's literally been it (I ended up importing the overseas DVD which was at least 16:9 enhanced though it didn't look too great). Considering that there's a decade in between home video releases, there obviously isn't a great appetite (in Disney's mind) for the film, which is why I'm happy they're at least releasing it at all.
Wasn't there a Disney Channel making of from back in the day? How much would that add to the production of the disc to throw it on? Anyways, as usual, I'll be waiting for a $10-or-less sale price within six months of the initial release date.
Yeah, I have that Disney Channel Making of....maybe I should upload it to Youtube!

I severely doubt you'll see a "$10 or less" sale point within six months, if not longer. Disney-branded Blu-Rays seldom (if ever) go that low...ARMAGGEDDON, THE ROCK, MIRACLE, etc. are still about $15 and they've been out for years already.

Eric W.

#19 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Well, it depends on the movie. I don't see another release looming for THE ROCKEETER for a long while, considering that they only released the movie once on DVD -- and in non-anamorphic widescreen, in 1999! That's literally been it (I ended up importing the overseas DVD which was at least 16:9 enhanced though it didn't look too great). Considering that there's a decade in between home video releases, there obviously isn't a great appetite (in Disney's mind) for the film, which is why I'm happy they're at least releasing it at all.
Yeah, it's an afterthought grudge job but at least it'll still be an appreciable upgrade over that ancient and frankly pathetic DVD.

Yeah, I have that Disney Channel Making of....maybe I should upload it to Youtube!
May as well.

I severely doubt you'll see a "$10 or less" sale point within six months, if not longer. Disney-branded Blu-Rays seldom (if ever) go that low...ARMAGGEDDON, THE ROCK, MIRACLE, etc. are still about $15 and they've been out for years already.
There might be a chance here simply because the Rocketeer was never this huge box office smash like Rock and Armageddon were and again, this is a bare bones release.

Of course my cynicism firmly puts me in alignment with you. If they can keep the price up as high as possible for as long as possible, they will.

AndyDursin

Re: Rocketeer Blu-Ray in December

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

Of course my cynicism firmly puts me in alignment with you. If they can keep the price up as high as possible for as long as possible, they will.
Yeah, I'm just going by trends. Disney discs hardly ever are reduced to low sale levels. Their MSRPs are higher than most and even when they're reduced, they're reduced to the $12-$16 level you see with those last batch of live-action catalog titles they released.

Monterey Jack

#21 Post by Monterey Jack »

Looks like I'll have to settle for a used copy, then...I refuse to pay more than ten for most titles.

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

Gorgeous transfer...just breathtaking. Neither the laserdisc nor the DVD could approximate the movie's visuals the way this Blu-Ray does...and it took me back to when the movie came out, and seeing it in that Toronto theater back in '91.

The Blu-Ray has no extras outside the trailer (which is mastered off a terrible video master), but the transfer is immaculate. Just spectacular!

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W.

#24 Post by Eric W. »

I wonder if this BD means we can expect a remastered and possibly expanded soundtrack in the near future? I hope so!

Jedbu

#25 Post by Jedbu »

I saw this movie opening weekend when the El Capitan theater in Hollywood reopened in '91. The house was sold out and the best place to sit was the balcony for both sound and picture (still is, by the way). I thought it was a fun film and Arkin looked like he was actually enjoying himself in a role for the first time in years.

I also think the advance one-sheet is one of the most gorgeous in the last 30 years-love art deco! Will see if one of my local connections has a review copy-I refuse to pay list price for Disney discs.

Eric W.

#26 Post by Eric W. »

Jedbu wrote:Will see if one of my local connections has a review copy-I refuse to pay list price for Disney discs.
Amazon discounts them nicely right off the bat.

Monterey Jack

#27 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:I severely doubt you'll see a "$10 or less" sale point within six months, if not longer. Disney-branded Blu-Rays seldom (if ever) go that low...ARMAGGEDDON, THE ROCK, MIRACLE, etc. are still about $15 and they've been out for years already.
Thankfully, Disney just added it as one of their Disney Movie Rewards offerings for a cheap 750 points...a copy is already in the mail heading towards me as I speak. :D Haven't seen this since the (crummy) DVD release in the early 00's...looking forward to a re-visit. Also grabbed Joe Johnston's Hidalgo while I was at it...I see an interesting Disney double feature coming up.

Eric W.

#28 Post by Eric W. »

Monterey Jack wrote: Thankfully, Disney just added it as one of their Disney Movie Rewards offerings for a cheap 750 points...a copy is already in the mail heading towards me as I speak. :D Haven't seen this since the (crummy) DVD release in the early 00's...looking forward to a re-visit. Also grabbed Joe Johnston's Hidalgo while I was at it...I see an interesting Disney double feature coming up.

Two good buys right there.

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

Thankfully, Disney just added it as one of their Disney Movie Rewards offerings for a cheap 750 points...a copy is already in the mail heading towards me as I speak.
Nice, because I've never seen it drop below $11-$12 on Amazon or elsewhere. Those Disney discs hold their value :)

Monterey Jack

#30 Post by Monterey Jack »

God, I'm getting old...The Rocketeer turns 25(!) this month. :shock:

http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-da ... ears-later

Nice to see this gem getting some overdue appreciation, and nice that it can still play to "today's kids" (my 18-year-old nephew loved it). 8) One only wishes that Disney would take another crack at the property...hell, fold it into the Marvel universe. I was hoping to see an in-joke reference to sightings of a "flying man" or Jennifer Connelly painted on the side of a bomber in the first Captain America. :wink: