James Gunn Rehired by Disney for GUARDIANS 3

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric W.

Re: James Gunn Axed From GUARDIANS Franchise After Gross Twitter Comments Surface

#16 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 am Thats the other thing. Most people dont make jokes about pedophilia and child rape, ever. Or have to take down 10,000 posts. Kind of makes it hard to sympathize there also.

Right. In the political world that sequence is called "bad optics." ;)

Johnmgm

Re: James Gunn Axed From GUARDIANS Franchise After Gross Twitter Comments Surface

#17 Post by Johnmgm »

I think Gunn sounds like a f*****g idiot. It’s not even a case of an idiot making an occasional ass out himself, but a pathological case of idiocy. I think this is the same guy who suggested nutty Star Wars fans seek counseling (not that I disagree in that case), which is ironic because Gunn seems like he should have Thorazine shot down his throat with a turkey baster.

Eric Paddon

#18 Post by Eric Paddon »

More and more I find it amusing to look at another outlet and see this pile on defense of Gunn and calls for petitions demanding his rehiring or suggestions the cast should go on strike and demand his rehiring etc. and they then decide to make a sideshow over who helped shed some much needed light on this person's conduct with epithets of "Nazi" or how unfair it all is because of what Gunn has said publicly on political issues. In other words, they have gone into full "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" mode and want to preserve the humbug image of Gunn as some noble figure because he is so "right" on the things that matter.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

"The things that matter" being the almighty comic book movie -- our new religion in 2018. :roll:

Eric Paddon

#20 Post by Eric Paddon »

I mean literally it's unreal. If a clergyman had been exposed doing these kinds of tweets in the past even if he scrubbed them, NO ONE would question his being fired. And when you're talking about someone who set himself up as a public judge of others (and even made a tweet on the Roseanne situation about how ABC's actions were justified and how they didn't have to be bound by arguments over the First Amendment), that is why the chickens came home to roost for this guy. I think its clear that what we're seeing is a visceral reaction of anger that standards that one side insists for one group of people are also being applied to them. That's not supposed to happen in their narrow little world.

Paul MacLean

#21 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:43 pm "The things that matter" being the almighty comic book movie -- our new religion in 2018. :roll:
I've felt for a long time that comic book movies are the modern-day equivalent of old, bad biblical epics -- they are long, dour, overly-reverent, devoid of humor (because humor is irreverent), and aimed at an audience who reveres these characters as if their stories were the Holy Scriptures themselves.

Eric Paddon

#22 Post by Eric Paddon »

Looks like Gunn isn't the only one in the industry to be bitten by the pedophilia "joke" bug.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood ... oes-viral/

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

What the HELL is wrong with this guy too? Sorry but child rape aint funny. EVER. Cant believe I am reading some of this.

Eric Paddon

#24 Post by Eric Paddon »

But wait there's more.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood ... resurface/

But what the heck, all the defenders insisting this was all in the past (this guy like Gunn had a FOUR YEAR span of this kind of crap) and that the real bad guys are the ones who point out what these degenerates actually said (if the Wizard of Oz had been dispensing anti-Trump bromides they'd probably have wanted Toto euthanized for exposing the man behind the curtain).

Eric Paddon

#25 Post by Eric Paddon »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:37 pm What the HELL is wrong with this guy too? Sorry but child rape aint funny. EVER. Cant believe I am reading some of this.
And it seems like this guy just couldn't get over his pedophilia "joke" obsession.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood ... ron-trump/

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

And we wonder why "comedy" today is where it's at? Hilarious! :roll:

AndyDursin

#27 Post by AndyDursin »

https://deadline.com/2019/03/james-gunn ... 202576444/

Disney just can't afford to not make their billions, and presumably couldn't figure out a way to make this movie with another director that would placate the cast, so Gunn is back in the fold.

For the record, I'm not in favor of going back 10 years and firing people for what they said or thought (within reason) but the double standard precedent this sets is truly laughable -- especially when we're not talking about 1 or 10 or 100 comments but literally thousands Gunn deleted.

Bottom line for me is: Roseanne is axed from her #1 ranked TV show because she made a crack at an Obama administration official -- Gunn jokes about something far more insidious, but is allowed back because

a) he talks about his "growth" and, more over, is already aligned with Disney's political ideology
b) his movies make far more money for Disney than Roseanne's TV show does

Dollars and cents at work -- always the bottom line. Especially when we're talking about Disney. Had this been anything lower profile he wouldnt be back.

Eric Paddon

Re: James Gunn Rehired by Disney for GUARDIANS 3

#28 Post by Eric Paddon »

Just another pathetic comment on why this industry is irredeemably corrupt on all levels to me.

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

With this, Smollett not getting axed from EMPIRE and the Virginia government officials not going anywhere, its hard to argue the pendulum isnt swinging back now.

Eric Paddon

#30 Post by Eric Paddon »

I suspect they're already figuring out how Smollett can return.