DUNE Thread - Remakes, Re-Edits, etc. - 4K UHD Coming in August

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: DUNE Thread - Remakes, Re-Edits, etc. - 4K UHD Coming in August

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Diabolik has more copies -- 1 per customer -- of the hot-selling Deluxe Limited Steelbook (UHD/BD combo with the book) for $46.99.

Amazon is selling the non-deluxe/non-limited Steelbook (no book & no extra packaging) for $13 more so this is a better deal. 8)

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Ugh. That sucks.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

Some great behind the scenes footage shot by Sean Young --

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

Got a rare early review copy from Arrow but due to Joanne's grandmother's passing, it will have to wait until the weekend. Very curious to check it out.

John Johnson

#20 Post by John Johnson »

Kino Films have also announced an Ultimate Edition, comprising of seven discs. Sadly, they don't ship to the UK or the US.

Extras and special features
Photo book with drafts and set photos by Ron Miller, DUNE's production designer, including an interview with him
Booklet with an essay by Paul Poet
DUNE - The comic book adaptation by Bill Sienkiewicz and Ralph Macchio
Disc 1:
4K-UHD: New 4K sampling from the original negative from Koch Films
Sound: German / English - DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitle: German
Extras: German and English trailer / picture gallery

Disc 2:
Blu-ray version of Disc 1

Disc 3:
New extras:
New feature-length documentary "The Sleeper Must Wake Up - Making of DUNE" with many new interviews
New interview with actor Jürgen Prochnow
Featurette "Beyond Our Imagination - The Merchandise" by and with Brian Sillman (Netflix's THE TOYS THAT MADE US)
Featurette “Prophecy Fulfilled - Die Filmmusik” with new interviews with Steve Lukather and Steve Porcaro von Toto as well as film music historian Tim Greiving
Interview with special effects artist Giannetto De Rossi

Disc 4:
Video archive:
“Destination DUNE” - contemporary making of
“Impressions of DUNE” - making of documentary from 2003
Cut scenes, some with commentary by Raffaela De Laurentiis
Featurette “Designing DUNE” - about the production design
Featurette "DUNE Models and Minatures" - about the models
Featurette "DUNE FX" - about the special effects
Featurette “DUNE Wardrobe Design” - about the costumes
Sean Young's Super8 footage from the set
Interview with actor Paul Smith
Interview with Production Coordinator Golda Offenheim
Audio archive:
Interview with David Lynch (Guardian Lectures 1985)
Radio interview with Frank Herbert at the start of the film
David Lynch in conversation with Frank Herbert at the start of the film
Frank Herbert on the creation of Dune

Disc 5:
Extended version 1

Disc 6:
Extended version 2

Disc 7:
Soundtrack CD with 17 tracks, approx. 41 minutes

https://shop.kochfilms.de/de/dune-der-w ... films-shop
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

Doesn't look like it's worth the huge expense either. The CD is just the old album; the Spicediver edit is the same as what's on Youtube; and most of us have the TV version in one form or another

If you want the documentary Arrow didn't include, you can buy Koch's 3 disc UHD Steelbook instead, which is only $32 shipped from JPC.de. That has it on there:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/- ... m/10572299

John Johnson

#22 Post by John Johnson »

That's probably the one I'm going to go for. Sellers already have the Ultimate Edition priced around $300 mark on EBay, which I wouldn't pay for. I see there is also a similar one, but I'm not sure about the packaging.

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes, there are 3 different 3-disc Koch UHD/Blu-Ray discs -- the Steelbook I listed (that's the one I ordered), plus a Mediabook, and then the Amazon.de exclusive Mediabook you listed John. Discs are all the same on those and they have the documentary Arrow didn't include. JPC's shipping is quite a bit cheaper than Amazon.de's as well but it will take longer to be delivered.

The Arrow release does have a couple of commentaries exclusive to it, that will not be on the Koch sets.

I'd love to buy the 7-disc Koch release but it's just too expensive and you'd have to find someone to ship it to the USA because it's only available within Germany (or maybe another country or two)

John Johnson

#24 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:47 pm Yes, there are 3 different 3-disc Koch UHD/Blu-Ray discs -- the Steelbook I listed (that's the one I ordered), plus a Mediabook, and then the Amazon.de exclusive Mediabook you listed John. Discs are all the same on those and they have the documentary Arrow didn't include. JPC's shipping is quite a bit cheaper than Amazon.de's as well but it will take longer to be delivered.

The Arrow release does have a couple of commentaries exclusive to it, that will not be on the Koch sets.

I'd love to buy the 7-disc Koch release but it's just too expensive and you'd have to find someone to ship it to the USA because it's only available within Germany (or maybe another country or two)
Too many options LOL

Looks like you have to buy more than one release to get all the extras. The Koch release, I believe will also ship within the EU as well. I know we've had this discussion on other posts, but kind of packaging will these have? Any thoughts?

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

I think if you want MOST of the extras from these sets, the Arrow release (for the commentaries) and the 3-disc Koch (either the Steelbook or the Mediabook) I think would have you covered. Even if you ordered both it'd be under $100, and that's nearly half of what that 7-disc Koch set will run you.

The Koch Mediabooks are hardcover books with glossy photos (likely text in German though) and plastic interior spindles for the discs (maybe stacked on top of one another). The Steelbook is probably like any other Steelbook and would I'd imagine have plastic spindles that are likely stacked also.

Can't say for sure because Koch hasn't released images outside the covers -- and they've released absolutely NOTHING from that 7 disc set in terms of packaging (even though it's coming next month!).