Deepdiscount/Imprint Sale - New Titles Added

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: Deepdiscount/Imprint Sale - New Titles Added

#31 Post by Monterey Jack »

My copy of The Warriors has yet to ship. Growing worried... :?

AndyDursin

#32 Post by AndyDursin »

These new releases from Australia run behind a lot, I wouldn't worry much. I'm still waiting on LASSITER which was supposed to be released a couple of weeks ago and they don't have it yet. I only received THE WARRIORS because Via Vision sent me a review copy directly.

AndyDursin

#33 Post by AndyDursin »

Then again it would be nice to enjoy it for the few months before Paramount releases it on 4k UHD and the Imprint release ends up at $20 in the Deep Discount Bargain Bin :lol:

Monterey Jack

#34 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:22 pm Then again it would be nice to enjoy it for the few months before Paramount releases it on 4k UHD and the Imprint release ends up at $20 in the Deep Discount Bargain Bin :lol:
I somehow doubt an eventual 4K release would have the impressive array of extras that Imprint scrounged up, so it'd be an easy double dip. Plus, a potential U.S. release would have a digital copy I could sell to make a few bucks back. :)

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

Oh it won't, I'm half kidding. There's lots of unique extras on here that make it worthwhile even in the event of a UHD being announced. And they could actually sell out of this before that occurs, the movie has a major following.

Still I do wonder how many other titles will end up in the bargain bin. Especially if a whole bunch of these upcoming Kino Lorber titles newly licensed from Paramount end up being Imprint titles. Unless Paramount was licensing for more than Australia to them, I'd expect there to be a few at least.

Monterey Jack

#36 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:35 pm Still I do wonder how many other titles will end up in the bargain bin. Especially if a whole bunch of these upcoming Kino Lorber titles newly licensed from Paramount end up being Imprint titles. Unless Paramount was licensing for more than Australia to them, I'd expect there to be a few at least.
All I know is I'm not buying Imprint titles unless they're reduced like this anymore. I don't regret buying Mothman Prophecies for almost $30 two years ago, but it does sting realizing I could have had it for under $12.

AndyDursin

#37 Post by AndyDursin »

Most of the Imprint "limited editions" are supposed to be 1500 copies which tells you the ones that have been out for nearly 2 years and haven't sold out are the ones that could hit the DDD bargain bin. But then if they don't, you could run the risk of missing out altogether, since they are also, undoubtedly, the titles Imprint won't be releasing a slipcover-less "standard" edition of -- those seem to only be for the quick sell-outs like WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, I MARRIED A MONSTER..., THE DUELLISTS, etc.

If Kino Lorber does some of these titles here in the U.S. via their new Paramount deal, that will cause them to linger even longer I'd imagine, since you'd have a $10-$15 Kino disc vs. a $30+ Imprint release.

Overall I like the Imprint line. I enjoy the special features and the glossy slipcovers. I do think the discs are overpriced because you are always just getting a pre-existing HD master, some of the time that's fine (probably most of the time), but in a few cases they're aged and shouldn't be used (like DAY OF THE LOCUST). But they're down in Australia so their business model is different, and they charge a bit more, while producing fewer copies.

If we can get them all for $10 I'd buy them all! :lol:

Monterey Jack

#38 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:06 pm These new releases from Australia run behind a lot, I wouldn't worry much.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease...got my shipping notification today. :)

Monterey Jack

#39 Post by Monterey Jack »

Monterey Jack wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:40 pm The squeaky wheel gets the grease...got my shipping notification today. :)
Received my copy today...

Monterey Jack

#40 Post by Monterey Jack »

More new Imprint titles added, including The Awakening and As Good As It Gets. 8) Grabbed those as well as Let It Ride and The Dead Zone (for the Aussie-exclusive extras).

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

Thanks, I placed another large order -- DAYS OF HEAVEN I assume will be out on 4K UHD at some point but for $10 that's fine. Bought a few others. THE GAMBLER went out of stock before I checked out, but some good deals in there with the 10% code working. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS gift-set for about $16 after the code.

Too bad the message board people all know about it now! lol.

Monterey Jack

#42 Post by Monterey Jack »

The Days Of Heaven release is very nice (looks essentially identical to the Criterion release), and the exclusive Aussie extras likely won't make the jump to a potential 4K, so it's worth owning both. This is also why I got The Dead Zone (which I've been eyeing for a while). The Mothman Prophecies release is terrific, but - alas! - I picked it up for nearly $30 a year back. :(

AndyDursin

#43 Post by AndyDursin »

Not sure what you've seen there but THE AWAKENING is not a great movie by any means. Still it's well-scored and shot, and well worth the $10 pick up (I bought it for, what, $28 or whatever last year). Really great, enjoyable commentary by Kim Newman and his buddy too -- in fact I like all of their commentaries. Very funny, well researched and fast moving. Movie is really well made but "stodgy" and just not very exciting...the OMEN like horror element is actually its weakest part and was shoehorned in there during production. The Imprint disc is also the European version and has a different "end point" than Orion's US release (which is on Shout's disc). Without spoiling it, it's the same ending, but the Euro print has a more dramatic final tag.

I love LET IT RIDE, Imprint's disc has some excellent extras with deleted scenes but the transfer is not as good as the Paramount US disc. But again if you like the movie, it's well worth $10 for the discarded material they dug up.

I picked up THE BROWNING VERSION (was hoping that would fall down near $20), DRUGSTORE COWBOY, THE ASSASSINATION BUREAU, A REFLECTION OF FEAR (bizarre sounding Robert Shaw thriller), the CE3K gift set (can dump my older copy with the slip), and the $8 LAST ACTION HERO 4K (can dump the Steelbook for a few extra pennies).

Monterey Jack

#44 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:31 pm Not sure what you've seen there but THE AWAKENING is not a great movie by any means. Still it's well-scored and shot, and well worth the $10 pick up
With Halloween horror season only a bit over three months away(!), it's nice to have some fresh fuel for the fire. :) And if I don't like it, it'll be easy enough to unload, especially full of extras the nearly bare-bones Scream Factory release lacks. It's always fun to watch Chuck Heston, even in crap. 8)

AndyDursin

#45 Post by AndyDursin »

Totally and it's a nice disc. The movie's problem is that it isn't crap -- it's just not very exciting. lol. It would've been better as a psychological/suspense thriller, OR an outright, exploitive horror movie. Instead it falls somewhere in the netherworld of being "competent yet dull". Heston's okay but is mostly going through the motions. Really the whole movie needed an injection of energy -- but it's still pretty to look at and the score is good!