STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS - Blu-Ray Thoughts

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Jedbu

Re: STAR WARS Thread: Lawrence Kasdan Back as Writer/Produce

#46 Post by Jedbu »

Bird would have been an excellent choice..why not Kasdan himself, although he has never handled a project this big and after SLEEPWALKERS his cachet in Hollywood has not exactly been high...Verbinski might not be a bad choice, if he has a good script and the cast is just right, he can actually be a fairly good craftsman...

AndyDursin

#47 Post by AndyDursin »

You meant DREAMCATCHER...a hell of a lot more entertaining than SLEEPWALKERS! :) (Yes it's not good -- but it's more entertainingly off the wall than just plain boring, like the latter).

Jedbu

#48 Post by Jedbu »

Thank you for the correction-still a piece of merde (pardon the expression).

AndyDursin

#49 Post by AndyDursin »

Jedbu wrote:Thank you for the correction-still a piece of merde (pardon the expression).
lol. Not his worst movie though by a longshot! IMO of course :)

Jedbu

#50 Post by Jedbu »

This just dawned on me-now that Disney owns Lucasfilm, does this mean we might see a legit home video release of the STAR WARS Holiday Special? I don't know about you, but I gotta have that on Blu-Ray, with commentary by Harrison Ford...and I want Ford, Fisher and Hamill's honest opinion about that show-what can Lucas do to them, reedit the films again to cut them out? :wink:

AndyDursin

#51 Post by AndyDursin »

I can't even follow what's going on. So they are planning on doing a Han Solo prequel film and a Boba Fett standalone film, as well as this trilogy too -- Kasdan allegedly writing (or whatever) the Han Solo film. That's...ambitious, to say the least, but I guess they're following the Marvel/Avengers "platform" type of lead with these movies.

If they're doing a young Han Solo film, PLEASE cast Josh Holloway from LOST as Solo. Hopefully because JJ Abrams is directing the main film of the new trilogy, he'll put in a good word for him. 8)

DavidBanner

#52 Post by DavidBanner »

Obviously the rumor mill will continue to grind until we actually have another full-on Star Wars movie in 2016 or later.

I'm happy that Kasdan has returned, although he wasn't able to do much with the script for Return of the Jedi. Hopefully he can be a good influence on the movies and keep everyone honest. I wouldn't have minded seeing him actually direct Episode VII.

Monterey Jack

#53 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:If they're doing a young Han Solo film, PLEASE cast Josh Holloway from LOST as Solo. Hopefully because JJ Abrams is directing the main film of the new trilogy, he'll put in a good word for him. 8)

Holloway is a great actor and great casting for that role, but he's already several years older than Ford was when he did the first Star Wars. I dunno how "young" they're shooting for, but I think Holloway is too old for it right now. But if they want to cast him in a new Indiana Jones movie, I'd be up for that. 8)

DavidBanner

#54 Post by DavidBanner »

I thought they were looking to replace Ford as Indiana Jones with someone a little younger, like Tom Selleck.

Monterey Jack

#55 Post by Monterey Jack »

DavidBanner wrote:I thought they were looking to replace Ford as Indiana Jones with someone a little younger, like Tom Selleck.
Selleck is like sixty-five, which is still pretty old for the physical demands the role requires. Holloway is in his early 40's and still pretty spry, so they could get several films out of him if they pulled a 007 and recast the role. I know it might seem like blasphemy to have another actor play Indy, but Ford is just too damn old to pull it off again (he barely got away with it in Crystal Skull). They could set a new film in the early 40's and have a WWII backdrop. The "brand name" of the character would bring people in, regardless of a recast. I mean, they've been recasting James Bond for the last 50 years, they could at least try it once with Indy. Holloway has the right scruffy humor for the role, and looks good with the obligitory Indy stubble. Slap a fedora on that man and let's get cracking! 8)

AndyDursin

#56 Post by AndyDursin »

Maybe a "young Han Solo" isn't the right way to put it -- it's apparently a pre-NEW HOPE story. So if it's not THAT far removed from the period, theoretically he could be roughly "that age" that Ford was in the original series, and to me, nobody captures that rogue-ish charm better than Holloway does. He looks youngish, like you said MJ, and I think he could still work it unless it's some tale about Han's really early years (and maybe it is)....and I'd much rather have Holloway there, even if he's "too old", than the likes of Shia LaBeouf. :roll: (Tom Hardy perhaps? Might be interesting. Can't think of too many "younger types" with any personality out there).

I actually see Holloway fitting Han Solo much better than Indiana Jones. The "serious" archeologist/history professor part doesn't really seem to fit with his persona as much.

DavidBanner

#57 Post by DavidBanner »

Just heard that Selleck's producers won't let him out of the TV show. Darn it.

AndyDursin

#58 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W.

#59 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Ford back as Han Solo:

http://latino-review.com/2013/02/15/exc ... isode-vii/

As if seeing him as Indy way after the fact wasn't depressing enough. I sure hope this is handled well. They're really pushing it here.

AndyDursin

Re: STAR WARS Thread: Harrison Ford/Han Solo Returns

#60 Post by AndyDursin »

It's probably just a supporting "passing the torch" role to a new cast. Or he could be in the Han Solo standalone movie in a framing device a la the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.