WONDER WOMAN 1984 - Delayed to Christmas

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Re: WONDER WOMAN 1984 - Delayed to Christmas

#61 Post by Eric Paddon »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:14 pm If you haven't seen the movie...this is all you need to see :lol:
Yep, that was MORE than enough.

Just pathetic.

Monterey Jack

#62 Post by Monterey Jack »

Gee, big surprise...

Maybe they can cast an actress with charisma his time. :P

Eric Paddon

#63 Post by Eric Paddon »

Keep Gadot and start all over again by doing the origin story RIGHT! (which means WW2 setting).

Paul MacLean

#64 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:58 pm Maybe they can cast an actress with charisma his time. :P
She has a lot more charisma than any other actress playing a superhero these days.

And she's more badass, having served in the IDF...

AndyDursin

#65 Post by AndyDursin »

I think Godot is perfectly fine in the role, though I think she's pretty limited as an actress. She's like a 21st century female version of an '80s action star with one or two expressions -- every performance she's given has fallen into that regardless of the role.

Still I'll be surprised if Godot doesn't continue -- Jenkins got carte blanche to do what she wanted on WW1984 and it blew up in her face. She has nothing to complain about, she didn't create the character and it's not hers -- I'm not sure what Jenkins had in mind for her rejected "story arc" but if it's anything like what happened on 1984 then it's no wonder WB has something else in mind. (This is already reminding me of other movies Jenkins was tossed off -- she left THOR 2 also).

Wonder Woman is part of the whole "restructuring" James Gunn is doing there with the DC unit. Some of these projects are going to continue forward as they are, others are being tweaked, others are being shelved or changed -- I mean can you blame them? It just made no sense to have 3 different Batmans running around at the same time. Or making virtually R-rated Batman movies that have no appeal to kids or merchandizing possibilities. :mrgreen:

With comic books being one of the only reliable genres making money at the movies now, Warner knows how important it is to straighten these characters out -- it's big revenue at a time when movies are on life support. Gunn will probably do an excellent job moving away from the "Snyderverse" and this weirdly fragmented approach into something more mainstream and consistent in its overall "vision". Which I can tell you right now will be more kid friendly than THE BATMAN!

AndyDursin

#66 Post by AndyDursin »

...and other failed Jenkins project. Apparently a disaster the studio bailed out of.

Monterey Jack

#67 Post by Monterey Jack »

This is what happens when a director is chosen less for their talent, and more for their gender. 8) And the only movie Jenkins made after her indie breakout Monster in 2003 was Wonder Woman...14 years later.

Tells you something.

AndyDursin

#68 Post by AndyDursin »

And let's be honest: it's not like she had this all consuming "vision" for WONDER WOMAN. It was a heavily developed studio property -- Zack Snyder is the one who cast Godot, etc. She was a "caretaker" with creative input on the first movie -- but with a script hitting plot points that were preestablished I'd imagine -- then they gave her more power on WW1984 and we all saw how that went.

She appears to have this "her way or the highway" mantra that's got to be the reason she bounces around from vehicle to vehicle even more than the usual modern day director for hire.

Monterey Jack

#69 Post by Monterey Jack »

Supposedly the sticking point that caused Jenkins to walk away was that she wanted to resurrect Chris Pine's Steve Trevor character AGAIN. :shock: :lol: And this after the controversial plot point in WW84 where his resurrected soul inhabited the body of some random guy that WW essentially ended up date-raping without his knowledge or consent. :?

And let's face it, people...Jenkins is not a filmmaker with any sort of "vision". The first WW movie looked like it was essentially ghost-directed by Zack Snyder (particularly the action sequences) in much the same way as the 300 sequel. This is not the same as giving Tim Burton carte blanche when making Batman Returns (and following four big hit movies in a row, all with a very distinct visual style and personal subtext running through them). Yeah, Batman Returns may have been too MUCH Burton for a lot of people (I totally agree it was far too intense and disturbing for young children), and I understand why it underperformed compared to the first, but, 30 years later, people have come around to appreciating the movie for what it is, whereas in 2050 WW84 is not going to receive any similar reappraisal. If Jenkins wants complete creative control of a project, maybe she should stop glomming onto $200 million franchise pictures and make another $5 million indie like Monster.

There's a reason why Edgar Wright bailed on the first Ant-Man right before cameras were set to roll, and he was right to do so, because we wouldn't have gotten Baby Driver or Last Night In Soho had he yoked himself to the MCU Machine.

Eric Paddon

#70 Post by Eric Paddon »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:11 am I think Godot is perfectly fine in the role, though I think she's pretty limited as an actress. She's like a 21st century female version of an '80s action star with one or two expressions -- every performance she's given has fallen into that regardless of the role.
Yes, I certainly wouldn't rate her highly as an all-around actress, but then again Lynda Carter didn't have exceptional range either. The critical thing was how Godot managed to capture the iconic quality of the role and make it her own, just as Carter had done in an earlier generation and that is no easy feat when playing a superhero or superheroine IMO. And Godot is one of the few people I have seen in the last quarter-century who literally managed to project a sense of gravitas that has been sorely lacking in just about everyone else of her generation.