The Last Starfighter (25th Anniversary Edition)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

The Last Starfighter (25th Anniversary Edition)

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Universal Studios Home Entertainment have announced the US DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of The Last Starfighter (25th Anniversary Edition) on 4th August 2009. “Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Kodan Armada.” So begins an adventure of galactic proportions in The Last Starfighter.

Digitally remastered for optimum picture quality The Last Starfighter comes to 25th Anniversary Edition DVD ($19.98 SRP) and Blu-ray Disc ($29.98 SRP) with features outlined below…

DVD
Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
Heroes of the Screen
Crossing the Frontier: Making The Last Starfighter
Feature Commentary with Director Nick Castle and Production Designer Ron Cobb
Image Gallery
Theatrical Trailer
Teaser Trailer

Blu-ray Disc
1080P Widescreen
English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
BD-Live – Download Centre
Heroes of the Screen
Crossing the Frontier: Making The Last Starfighter
Feature Commentary with Director Nick Castle and Production Designer Ron Cobb
Image Gallery
Theatrical Trailer
Teaser Trailer

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/70 ... ugust.html
London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric W.

Re: The Last Starfighter (25th Anniversary Edition)

#2 Post by Eric W. »

John Johnson wrote: Digitally remastered for optimum picture quality The Last Starfighter comes to 25th Anniversary Edition DVD ($19.98 SRP) and Blu-ray Disc ($29.98 SRP) with features outlined below…
The special effects on this thing weren't exactly high end even when this thing came back out in the 80s. I sincerely hope they did some work here for this because it's going to be brutal and merciless, especially in high definition on Blu-Ray.

It's been many years since I've seen this.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I thought the CGI FX were pretty advanced for their time.

Obviously you didn't see the HD-DVD, as the master they used was excessively grainy in places. If this is struck from a new master I'd be interested, but if it's a port, I'm not bothering (the HD-DVD also had TrueHD and all of those extras too). They'd really have to clean it up to interest me...and that remains to be seen. Hopefully it'll happen, but their track record of porting over existing HD/HD-DVD transfers speaks for itself (or making them worse, such as THE THING).

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:I thought the CGI FX were pretty advanced for their time.
Well again, I haven't seen the movie in AT LEAST a decade if not more so I may not be remembering it that well.

Obviously you didn't see the HD-DVD, as the master they used was excessively grainy in places. If this is struck from a new master I'd be interested, but if it's a port, I'm not bothering (the HD-DVD also had TrueHD and all of those extras too). They'd really have to clean it up to interest me...and that remains to be seen. Hopefully it'll happen, but their track record of porting over existing HD/HD-DVD transfers speaks for itself (or making them worse, such as THE THING).
Understood. I never saw the HD-DVD, either. I'd probably buy this for nostalgia's sake but not a high priority purchase especially if they continue along the track record you refer to.

The Pessimist

#5 Post by The Pessimist »

I'm afraid I really don't recommend this movie. The first act on earth is nicely handled. From then on the movie goes into a 'warp speed' with the plot to where all the starfighter has to do is shoot up the baddies but without the challenge. Its just far too easy for the protagonist.
'Sorry about that one.' -Ed Wood

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W. wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:I thought the CGI FX were pretty advanced for their time.
Well again, I haven't seen the movie in AT LEAST a decade if not more so I may not be remembering it that well.

Understood. I never saw the HD-DVD, either. I'd probably buy this for nostalgia's sake but not a high priority purchase especially if they continue along the track record you refer to.
I loved the movie and I think it's held up well. Just a heads up on the transfer -- it just was one of the weaker catalog transfers I'd seen. Again, hopefully they'll remaster it.