John Ford fans-saddle up in 2006!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Jedbu

John Ford fans-saddle up in 2006!

#1 Post by Jedbu »

:P For those of you who admire the great John Ford, 2006 holds some good news. Two video divisions are bringing out some prime classics by cinema's most irascible genius.

For those with R2 players, Fox will release PRISONER OF SHARK ISLAND with commentary by Ford biographer Scott Eyman later this year. A release of YOUNG MR. LINCOLN is coming within a week from Criterion in the R1 format.

Warner Home Video has something even more exciting: the following in new SEs-STAGECOACH & THE SEARCHERS. The former is from a restored print (possibly UCLA) that is miles ahead of the original older release, and it will include a commentary by the aforementioned Eyman along with other extras, including interviews. THE SEARCHERS will include a commentary by Peter Bogdanovich, (supposedly) the doc "THE TURNING OF THE EARTH" and other extras, and will be 2-discs. An introduction by Clint Eastwood was hoped for, but because of his busy schedule may not be possible. :cry:

Other titles will include FORT APACHE, THE INFORMER, THE LONG VOYAGE HOME, and CHEYENNE AUTUMN. All should have extras including commentaries, trailers and other goodies.

What a year for western fans-the Peckinpah set, an upgraded MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, the Fords, a future upgrade for HOW THE WEST WAS WON-whew!!
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Just my copy of YOUNG MR. LINCOLN in -- very nice package from Criterion, as you might expect! :)

That SEARCHERS DVD has been in the works since the beginning of the format...I remember people advising me not to pick up the original DVD (which came out in 1998 I believe) because a "better one" was coming. And here we are 8 years later, and it still isn't out! :shock: