The Black Dahlia

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

The Black Dahlia

#1 Post by Monterey Jack »

Saw the trailer for Brian De Palma's latest in front of Miami Vice today. Looks excellent. 8) Of course, I'm a hopeless De Palma fanboy (incidentilly, that's his voice in the trailer as the off-screen director talking to Mia Kershner's Elizabeth Short). Hopefully this will give him the hit he's desperately needed for a decade now (he hasn't had a considerable box-office earner since Mission: Impossible).

Warning: Some pretty disturbing pictures at the following link. :shock:

http://kino-express.ru/stills/black_dahlia

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Hilary Swank....eh....not one of my favorites.

Yet the movie sounds good, and looks good as well. Vilmos Zsigmond shooting, and Mark Isham ought to provide a superb jazz period score which I'm looking forward to.

Count me in!

MikeSkerritt

#3 Post by MikeSkerritt »

I'd be MUCH more interested if I hadn't read James Ellroy's brilliant novel, but to me the casting seems completely off. For example, in the book, the main character is an ugly, buck-toothed former boxer in his 30's, not Josh Hartnett. The only inspired bit of casting looks to be the Dahlia herself, to be played by Mia Kirshner. I've always loved her and I hope she does the most with what will be limited screen time.

Carlson2005

#4 Post by Carlson2005 »

MikeSkerritt wrote:in the book, the main character is an ugly, buck-toothed former boxer in his 30's, not Josh Hartnett.

What, are you saying that Josh Hartnett got his teeth fixed? :lol:

You have to admit, there is something about him that just makes you think of using him as a punchbag. Even Gandhi would be tempted!

MikeSkerritt

#5 Post by MikeSkerritt »

Carlson2005 wrote:You have to admit, there is something about him that just makes you think of using him as a punchbag. Even Gandhi would be tempted!
Without a doubt, my friend. :D

It's funny because I think Aaron Eckhart, who plays the "older" detective Blanchard, would have been great for the Bleickhardt role (let's face it, they won't cast anyone ugly anyway).