Possibly the nicest copyright warning of all time

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Carlson2005

Possibly the nicest copyright warning of all time

#1 Post by Carlson2005 »

A couple of weeks ago The Independent newspaper gave away free copies of Rossellini's Francis, God's Jester/Francesco, Guillare de Dio from Masters of Cinema, and it contains what has to be the politest copyright notice of all time - no 'hip' ad telling us we wouldn't steal a car (not true of several audience members anyway) so why would we steal a movie, just the following legend:

'Friendly notice: If you illegally copy this film, you are directly affecting the chances of other interesting films receiving the same care and attention.’ Francis of Assisi would surely approve. :lol:

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Now THAT makes sense :)

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

They're still giving-out free movies with the paper? I wish they'd do that in the US!

I was in Liverpool almost exactly a year ago when The Guardian bundled The Madness of King George with Saturday edition. Needless to say I snatched-up a copy!

By the way Carlson, what is the deal with these free DVDs that come with the papers? Who produces them? I was wondering because my Madness of King George has no menu, and the end credits are time-compressed.

Paul

Carlson2005

#4 Post by Carlson2005 »

The time-compressing may be on the original UK DVD master (Channel 4, which co-produced the film, has a tendency to time-compress end credits for broadcast and the same master may have been used for the regular DVD). Although they're generally 'facilitated' by intermediaries and PR companies (in much the same way that its middle-men who make all the money from product placement rather than the studios), they're produced on behalf of whichever distributor holds the local rights from the same master. But, in most cases, like the budget versions of some titles they're bare-bones vanilla versions, sometimes including a menu, sometimes not (even when they have chapter stops an index is a real rarity) to save on costs - in these cases they're pressing around 3,500,000 copies on some titles, although some papers stagger this by giving them away in different regions (ie Scotland, England, Wales) at different times. Except for the Daily Express, who nearly always go for crappy public domain copies.

It's kicking up again as Autumn beckons and the summer sales slump is over. This saturday the Times has In the Mood for Love, while the past couple of months have seen To Walk With Lions, Sympathy For the Devil, Belleville Rendezvous, Mrs Dalloway, The B.F.G. and the restored version of Metropolis