Here Comes LORD OF THE RINGS...Again :(

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Here Comes LORD OF THE RINGS...Again :(

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

As if RINGS OF POWAAAAAHHHH isn't enough on Amazon...

Monterey Jack

Re: Here Comes LORD OF THE RINGS...Again :(

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

"Look to the future", aka "Jam as many mixed races, 'powerful' women and sexual orientations into the material as possible". :roll:

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

Why must all these new Tolkien iterations still cling to the "Peter Jackson style" -- twenty years later?

As much as I don't like the Star Wars spinoffs of recent years, I agree it makes sense for them to retain the aesthetic of the original movies -- since Star Wars began as a movie, whose look and feel was an intrinsic part of George Lucas' vision. But Lord of the Rings was published before Peter Jackson was even born, and does indeed exist apart from Jackson's interpretation.

Personally, I think it is getting near tome for a new adaptation of the books, by a different director with a different vision.

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

Personally, I would love to see a group of animated films based on the books. The live action stuff would be boring.

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

mkaroly wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:15 pm Personally, I would love to see a group of animated films based on the books. The live action stuff would be boring.
Were you thinking CGI, or traditional cell animation?

Live action or animated, I've honestly always felt that LOTR doesn't lend itself well to cinematic adaptation, owing to its length. I think it would be best served by a miniseries.

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

Paul MacLean wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:58 pm
mkaroly wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:15 pm Personally, I would love to see a group of animated films based on the books. The live action stuff would be boring.

Live action or animated, I've honestly always felt that LOTR doesn't lend itself well to cinematic adaptation, owing to its length. I think it would be best served by a miniseries.
Probably traditional cell animation...go back to basics (films nowadays seem to be half live and half CGI). I would be cool with a miniseries.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:58 pm
Sadly, hand-drawn animation is all but extinct, at least in America. :(

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul MacLean wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:32 am Why must all these new Tolkien iterations still cling to the "Peter Jackson style" -- twenty years later?
Regrettably we're all living in an era of corporate entertainment which takes the least amount of chances possible in order to "maximize profit." And that means instead of new visions or new properties or fresh takes, sticking to what was already made and rehashing it is the best course of action from the POV of these companies.

Here, that means, yes, not just LORD OF THE RINGS but the Jackson LORD OF THE RINGS it seems :( since those movies reaped enormous money and Oscars and everything else. Or something "set in the same universe."

Curiously, Warner's film ownership of this series has to be limited to LORD OF THE RINGS -- Amazon has these "appendices" or whatever they're working from, MGM co-owned THE HOBBIT trilogy -- so they probably have to stick to a remake or something along those lines...so in this instance they may not even have a choice but to recycle, bringing Jackson and company probably along for the ride seeing as he's not doing a whole heckuva lot these days outside the occasional documentary.

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:51 pm Here, that means, yes, not just LORD OF THE RINGS but the Jackson LORD OF THE RINGS it seems :( since those movies reaped enormous money and Oscars and everything else. Or something "set in the same universe."
So if Warners makes good on their intention to remake the Harry Potter stories, does this mean a new cast running around on the same old sets with the same old effects sequences?