Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

#16 Post by Paul MacLean »

He wants "one immersible experience" with 2-D and 3-D together and the audience so engrossed that they "won't notice the difference".
I guess if they're going to do it, this is the way.

The promblem with all previous 3D movies is that they rarely if ever depicted true depth perception, because our eyes are about 2 inches apart and the 3D cameras were a couple of feet apart. Spacehunter's miniatures came off laughably fake because of this, because the 3D effect made the models look SMALLER than they were! :roll:

In any case, I honestly hope this new gimmick does not take off.

Monterey Jack

#17 Post by Monterey Jack »

I just hope the release of the film will finally inspire that anamorphic SE of True Lies that we should have gotten years ago. Hey, 9/11 was nearly a decade ago, it's okay to have terrorist movies again! :roll:
Last edited by Monterey Jack on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:I just hope the release of the film will finally inspired that anmorphic SE of True Lies that we should have gotten years ago. Hey, 9/11 was nearly a decade ago, it's okay to have terrorist movies again! :roll:
Totally agree.

Also, as far as Zemeckis goes, the last movie of his I was really excited about was WHAT LIES BENEATH. Very well directed and pretty exciting stuff -- too bad it was mostly all downhill from there.

Monterey Jack

#19 Post by Monterey Jack »

Yeah, What Lies Beneath was good, unpretentious fun, with some real shivers along the way (and a nice, Herrmann-ish Alan Silvestri score). Too bad we'll probably never see another "real" Zemeckis movie. :(

John Johnson

#20 Post by John Johnson »

Monterey Jack wrote:I just hope the release of the film will finally inspire that anamorphic SE of True Lies that we should have gotten years ago. Hey, 9/11 was nearly a decade ago, it's okay to have terrorist movies again! :roll:
Why not? They seem to make films about the IRA/Sinn Fein.
London. Greatest City in the world.

JSWalsh

#21 Post by JSWalsh »

John Johnson wrote:
They do? I can think of three, none very recent.

More to the point, that's not the kind of terrorism we're talking about in terms of American movies. But then, I think True Lies was kinda silly and pointless and could have used a butcher on the middle section.
John

JSWalsh

#22 Post by JSWalsh »

AndyDursin wrote: As I wrote before, I'm also skeptical of this film's story. Cameron's description really did make it sound as quaint as ALIENS meets DANCES WITH WOLVES -- this tale of an indigenous people being attacked by more technologically advanced weaponry and "the choice" a crippled marine has to make after he "assumes" one of the former's bodies (as an "avatar"), just sounds so simplistic to me. Is it going to be worth a 3-hour film (Cameron has confirmed the running time as being that long?). The visuals had better be groundbreaking.
It seems that when moviemakers achieve huge levels of success, they then go on to make movies that inflate lesser elements of their previous films that people either tolerated or ignore. They don't want to just make good entertainment, they want to MOVE an audience and change the world. Cameron's films have all had these "deep" elements which were as deep as comic book paper, but they were OK because they added a little something to the story--but they weren't why we went to those movies. Now he seems to want to change the world through a message of tolerance and diversity blah blah blah when no one is going to buy a ticket for that--they want to see a James Cameron splashy scifi adventure.
John

John Johnson

#23 Post by John Johnson »

JSWalsh wrote:
John Johnson wrote:
Including one with IRA supporter Rose McGowan.

JSWalsh

#24 Post by JSWalsh »

John Johnson wrote:
JSWalsh wrote:
John Johnson wrote:
Including one with IRA supporter Rose McGowan.
That one star supports the IRA hardly seems like proof they make numerous films about the IRA. Three movies I can think of in the last three decades sure doesn't seem like much of a trend. Could you list these films you're thinking of?
John

John Johnson

#25 Post by John Johnson »

Hunger 2008.
Fifty Dead Men Walking 2008

http://www.irishfilm.net/IRA-y.html

I guess it's okay to make films about Irish terriorists. It plays well in certain 'areas'.

JSWalsh

#26 Post by JSWalsh »

John Johnson wrote:Hunger 2008.
Fifty Dead Men Walking 2008

http://www.irishfilm.net/IRA-y.html

I guess it's okay to make films about Irish terriorists. It plays well in certain 'areas'.
Two films I've never heard of sure doesn't seem like some huge trend, or even a tiny trend. Or any kind of trend.

Not sure how this became an issue on this thread, but what is wrong with making movies about any terrorist of any kind?

I guess I don't see your point.
John