RIP Roger Ebert

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

RIP Roger Ebert

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

RIP Roger Ebert. I will always treasure the emails I received from him in 2010 when I sent him a packet of DVDs I made from my old Siskel & Ebert cassettes. He was quite happy to see the Holiday Gift Guide specials I had recorded back in the day, and for someone who kept living in spite of all the physical challenges he encountered in his later years, it meant a lot for me personally to hear that.

Hopefully he and Gene are having a reunion up in the balcony in the sky.

*This is an article he ran with links to some of my Youtube videos:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/siskel- ... -guid.html

mkaroly

Re: RIP Roger Ebert

#2 Post by mkaroly »

I grew up watching their TV program back in the day and loved every minute of it. I will always hold a special place in my heart for both of them. RIP Roger.

sprocket

#3 Post by sprocket »

These days, 70 is too young to die.

I will miss him - and I don't even know him. Some people are like that. :(

jkholm

#5 Post by jkholm »

I also watched Sneak Previews and At the Movies all the time growing up. Ebert was quite influential in my love of movies.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Great column by Michael Medved remembering Roger Ebert and the death of broadcast film reviewers in general.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... h/2060617/

Paul MacLean

#7 Post by Paul MacLean »

Ebert was unpretentious and a "man of the people" which is why his reviews so resonated with the public. Many (most?) other film critics have an air of superiority, and actually seem to believe their critical faculties make them intellectually superior, to not only "the great unwashed" but to the filmmakers themselves(!). (This is why I could never stand Vincent Canby or Frank Rich.)

Ebert never behaved this way. He was just a guy who loved movies and said what he thought -- in comprehensible terms.