Why Lord, Why??? Poltergeist remake a go

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

Why Lord, Why??? Poltergeist remake a go

#1 Post by romanD »

first they wanted to make a sequel called KAYERI... whatever that was supposed to mean and now they cancelled that and gave a remake a green light. Moreover, a shot-for-shot remake... if that means we get Jerrys Score back at least that would be something, but I guess we end up with another marvellous score by Steve Jablonsky or Henning Lohner or James Dooley.

This is I guess the worst remake idea ever as POLTERGEIST is one of the best horror movies ever made and I just don't see a single factor that could be improved upon... this has to come to an end. Well, only hope the Poltergeist curse is true and gets all the people involved with this one.

Im pretty sure the role of Dana gets bigger, so they can cast a Jessica Biel clone for it...

but btw, I found at imdb the following trivia for POLTERGEIST 2: There exists a 130 minute version of the film which expands the story of Kane much more, even including more scenes that further the plot and even correct errors such as a line of dialogue stating Dana being at college and more character expansion scenes.

has anyone seen this version? or on VHS or DVD? Was that a TV cut???

the movie was already too long, but still this sounds interesting...

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

You know, why didn't they do something smart, like have Carol Anne grown up and recast with Sarah Michelle Gellar or something.

This news is so awful I had to post...now back to the Honeymoon!! :)

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

Terrible.

MarkB

#4 Post by MarkB »

Good grief, you guys can find something to complain about with just about anything. I can't believe you're condemning this sight unseen. The original is almost 25 years old now -- why can't we have an updated version for today's generation? I think a little tolerance is called for here.

Just kidding. ;) This idea sucks.

Mark

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

Reimaginings usually do, as I well know. :)

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Mark -- you had me going all the way until your final line! :)

As I've written before remakes are more pointless now than ever because with video and cable TV, some movies NEVER disappear from the mainstream.

THE OMEN did meager business really (though it had a low budget) and POLTERGEIST is a film that continues to be shown over and over. Every week it's on TV, and, hell, FAMILY GUY did a whole riff on it last season!

I honestly do believe a POLTERGEIST remake with a PG-13 rating would do better business than, say, THE OMEN, but I think a remake is just a horrible idea for any number of terrible reasons.

Frankly why not do a SEQUEL with a grown up Carol Anne or something? If you're then going to rip-off the original, so be it, but at least bring something to the table.

EVERYONE HAS SEEN POLTERGEIST 10 TIMES ALREADY! (Or at least once).

It's so absurd...I assume JAWS would've happened already if not for the fact that Spielberg would complain so much he'd never work with Universal again, lol.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

BTW Roman -- no version of POLTERGEIST II has ever been shown outside of the theatrical one. There's no long TV cut or deleted scenes anywhere.

Obviously with its 91 minute running time something WAS cut out of that movie (I remember Goldsmith complained the whole grandmother portion was basically excised), but we've never seen what was axed.

I'd love to see it happen one day -- as I'm actually a fan of the second movie. It has some problems, but some of the set-pieces, comic relief, and the Kane portion and Julian Beck's performance in particular are so compelling and eerie that it gives me the creeps :)

On the other hand POLTERGEIST III is an abominable, unforgivable pile of flaming garbage -- the SUPERMAN IV of the Poltergeist series, no doubt. At least II was made by the same writers and had a lot of the same personnel (and cast obviously) going for it.

mkaroly

#8 Post by mkaroly »

Good one MarkB- you had me going there too. :o

Again I say....WHAT'S THE POINT? I have no desire to go see it since I love the original so much.

Come up with new ideas for cryin' out loud.....