SPACE: 1999 Complete Series - Shout! Factory - July 16th

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

SPACE: 1999 Complete Series - Shout! Factory - July 16th

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Extras announced at a later date, undoubtedly will be (mostly) recycled from the UK release -- either way, good news for Region A folks who couldn't import Network's Season 2 edition:

Limited edition Snow Globe (regular release won't be as pricey):
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/sp ... ct_id=7103

Eric Paddon

Re: SPACE: 1999 Complete Series - Shout! Factory - July 16th

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

I hope they do include the "Message From Moonbase Alpha" series ender that I was glad to get in the earlier DVD release.

John Johnson

#3 Post by John Johnson »

It's on the Network release, so I don't see why not.

Can't say I'm pressed with the covers either.
London. Greatest City in the world.

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

These episodes are sourced directly from the recent Network/ITV remasters, and so should be of top quality.

And yes, Shout! is working on UFO: The Complete Series too. Stay tuned for news on that.

http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-tw ... 41119-1130

sprocket

#5 Post by sprocket »

Looks nice although I already have the Season 2 Network release.

I also have the Network UFO series. I wonder if they will balance the brightness a bit better, as that release was criticized for being a bit too bright.

John Johnson

#6 Post by John Johnson »

sprocket wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:06 pm Looks nice although I already have the Season 2 Network release.

I also have the Network UFO series. I wonder if they will balance the brightness a bit better, as that release was criticized for being a bit too bright.
Don't forget the dreaded eye liner on Ed Bishop and Michael Billington...LOL

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

sprocket wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:06 pm

The only thing that put me off the original Network release, was the packaging. I would have liked the exclusive book that was included, by archive television historian Andrew Pixley. At 600 pages, the book certainly isn't anything to scoff at.

sprocket

#8 Post by sprocket »

John Johnson wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:24 pm Don't forget the dreaded eye liner on Ed Bishop and Michael Billington...LOL
Maybe so, but the (quaintly '60s) smoke rings Bishop puffs out makes up for it IMO :lol:
John Johnson wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 pm The only thing that put me off the original Network release, was the packaging. I would have liked the exclusive book that was included, by archive television historian Andrew Pixley. At 600 pages, the book certainly isn't anything to scoff at.
I don't know if you missed much: didn't the book include a 300 page episode guide? I haven't seen any of Pixley's work, but it did sound a bit padded.

I'll probably end up with the regular edition of Joe 90 volume 4 because of a lack of interesting extras (another Pixley book being one of them).

Now the Captain Scarlet volume 4 deluxe box was something else! :)

John Johnson

#9 Post by John Johnson »

sprocket wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:41 pm
John Johnson wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:24 pm Don't forget the dreaded eye liner on Ed Bishop and Michael Billington...LOL
Maybe so, but the (quaintly '60s) smoke rings Bishop puffs out makes up for it IMO :lol:
John Johnson wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 pm The only thing that put me off the original Network release, was the packaging. I would have liked the exclusive book that was included, by archive television historian Andrew Pixley. At 600 pages, the book certainly isn't anything to scoff at.
I don't know if you missed much: didn't the book include a 300 page episode guide? I haven't seen any of Pixley's work, but it did sound a bit padded.

I'll probably end up with the regular edition of Joe 90 volume 4 because of a lack of interesting extras (another Pixley book being one of them).

Now the Captain Scarlet volume 4 deluxe box was something else! :)
I'll probably spring for the complete Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons. On a side note, I read some years ago, the series was banned in some US markets, due to the violence in some of the episodes. I did recently pick up Department S and Randal and Hopkirk (Deceased), both stunning copies. Looking forward to getting Man In a Suitcase.

John Johnson

#10 Post by John Johnson »

Eric Paddon wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:26 pm I hope they do include the "Message From Moonbase Alpha" series ender that I was glad to get in the earlier DVD release.
Doesn't look like it.

Bonus Features
NEW Mission To Moonbase Alpha: An Interview With Actress Barbara Bain
NEW Into The Uncertain Future: An Interview With Actor Nick Tate
NEW Brain Behind The Destruction: An Interview With Director Kevin Connor
NEW Moonbase Merch: A Tour Of Space:1999 Ephemera With Author John Muir
NEW Audio Commentary By Author Anthony Taylor On "Dragon's Domain" And "The Metamorph"
NEW Audio Commentary By Space:1999 Series Expert Scott Michael Bosco On "Ring Around The Moon"
Audio Commentary By Series Co-Creator Gerry Anderson On "Breakaway" And "Dragon's Domain"
"These Episodes" – Nearly 100 Minutes Of Reflections On Some Of Space:1999's Iconic Episodes From The People Who Made Them
"Memories Of Space" Featurette
Interview With Sylvia Anderson
Guardian Of Piri Remembered With Actress Catherine Schell
Vintage Year Two Interviews
Vintage Brian Johnson Interview
Behind The Scenes Footage With Brian Johnson Commentary
Concept And Creation Featurette
Special Effects And Design Featurette
Martin Landau And Barbara Bain TV Promos
Promos For Year One And Year Two
Trailers For Destination Moonbase Alpha And Alien Attack
Blackpool "Space City" Exhibition Advert
Lyons Maid Ice Lolly Advert
Mono And 5.1 Audio On All Episodes
Photo Galleries
16 Page Episode Guide

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/sp ... ct_id=7103

Eric Paddon

#11 Post by Eric Paddon »

Not very good of them to not include that.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Network's UK Blu-Ray release didn't have it either, so undoubtedly it's some kind of licensing or copyright issue since it wasn't officially sanctioned to begin with. I noticed most of the YouTube links to old uploads of it are long gone....meaning it is likely not anything to do with Shout. More likely ITV or Anderson's people or whoever don't want it out there.

Paul MacLean

#13 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 pm Network's UK Blu-Ray release didn't have it either, so undoubtedly it's some kind of licensing or copyright issue since it wasn't officially sanctioned to begin with. I noticed most of the YouTube links to old uploads of it are long gone....meaning it is likely not anything to do with Shout. More likely ITV or Anderson's people or whoever don't want it out there.
I know it was created for a convention -- and included clips from the series -- I'd agree it's likely ITV didn't want a "fan fiction" piece in the set.

Eric Paddon

#14 Post by Eric Paddon »

It's too bad because it is truly brilliant. The perfect way to bridge the two seasons and end it in a brilliantly subtle and ingenious way that requires you to remember carefully the first episode.

John Johnson

#15 Post by John Johnson »

Paul MacLean wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:44 pm
AndyDursin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 pm Network's UK Blu-Ray release didn't have it either, so undoubtedly it's some kind of licensing or copyright issue since it wasn't officially sanctioned to begin with. I noticed most of the YouTube links to old uploads of it are long gone....meaning it is likely not anything to do with Shout. More likely ITV or Anderson's people or whoever don't want it out there.
I know it was created for a convention -- and included clips from the series -- I'd agree it's likely ITV didn't want a "fan fiction" piece in the set.
Filmed 29th August 1999, this 7 minute short film was shown at the Space: 1999 Breakaway Convention in Los Angeles on September 13th, 1999. The original licensing deal from Carlton did not allow it to be shown in public - or private - again. However, in 2002 it was released to DVD in France.
There are two versions: one version has no music (on the TF1 disc), the other has Barry Gray's closing theme and incidental tracks (on the A&E bonus disc). The license to use Gray's music is separate from Carlton's license to Space 1999, and the difficulties in negotiating the separate music license gave rise to the two versions.

https://moonbasealpha.fandom.com/wiki/M ... base_Alpha