Cate Blanchett Confirmed For INDY 4

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Cate Blanchett Confirmed For INDY 4

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

...ugh. Sorry guys I'm not a huge Cate fan in the first place and I was hoping we'd get some Karen Allen activity going there.

I actually hate this casting choice for the female lead. :(

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 0&id=40576

Monterey Jack

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

While I'm a big Blanchett fan, and she has a certain "old-school" Hollywood glamour that makes her really appropriate for period pieces (The Aviator), if she plays Indy's latest love interest, I'll be sorely disappointed. Ford is thirty years older than she is.

"It's shameful, Harrison, you're old enough to be her...her grandfather." :wink:

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

I'm a big fan of Blanchett too....we'll see what happens when the movie comes out!

Carlson2005

#4 Post by Carlson2005 »

Well, if you mean by confirmed that both she and Lucasfilm are denying she's signed... Of course she also denied she was going to make the Elizabeth sequel until they'd improved the script, but it's a long way from a certainty. But considering this film has had trainwreck written all over it for years, after the Shia LaBouef announcement she's one of the better things about it.

DavidM

#5 Post by DavidM »

I too am hoping for the return of Karen Allen! Marion was always the best one. Cate Blanchett sounds like a pretty inspired choice though. Great actress. In place of a dark lord you shall have a queen!

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

DavidM wrote:I too am hoping for the return of Karen Allen! Marion was always the best one. Cate Blanchett sounds like a pretty inspired choice though. Great actress. In place of a dark lord you shall have a queen!
That's what I was hoping for also. Sadly looks like that idea has gone the way of Indy's son running around.

And welcome aboard David!

DavidM

#7 Post by DavidM »

Thanks! Isn't it still possible they could sign Karen Allen for a small role or a cameo? Like Marian could call up Indy and say "Listen, I'm dieing but this is your son" and then Cate Blanchett could be some other woman.

Have they officially put the lid on Indy's son? I don't think Indy's son necessarily has to be terrible but didn't they sort of cover that angle with Short Round?

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

I have a feeling this movie is going to come across at best like an "homage" to Indiana Jones, rather than having the feel of an actual Indiana Jones adventure. Ford is just too old, and casting Cate Blanchet just seems so contrived.

What's next I wonder? Clint Eastwood in a Where Eagles Dare sequel?

Eric W.

#9 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:I have a feeling this movie is going to come across at best like an "homage" to Indiana Jones, rather than having the feel of an actual Indiana Jones adventure. Ford is just too old, and casting Cate Blanchet just seems so contrived.

What's next I wonder? Clint Eastwood in a Where Eagles Dare sequel?
That, and Spielberg hasn't made a fun and lighthearted movie in many years. And don't get me started on George Lucas. That shouldn't even require any explanation.

I just don't have much interest in this project as a whole.

DavidM

#10 Post by DavidM »

>>I have a feeling this movie is going to come across at best like an "homage" to Indiana Jones, rather than having the feel of an actual Indiana Jones adventure. Ford is just too old, and casting Cate Blanchet just seems so contrived.<<

What makes Cate Blanchet more contrived than any other actress? Is she too young?

DavidM

#11 Post by DavidM »

>>That, and Spielberg hasn't made a fun and lighthearted movie in many years.<<

Catch Me If You Can was fun and lighthearted. Atleast John Williams thought so, as evidenced in the fun and lighthearted score.

Monterey Jack

#12 Post by Monterey Jack »

DavidM wrote:>>That, and Spielberg hasn't made a fun and lighthearted movie in many years.<<

Catch Me If You Can was fun and lighthearted. Atleast John Williams thought so, as evidenced in the fun and lighthearted score.
Not to mention The Terminal.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

OK so how about a "light and carefree genre film"?

Or, more over, a really good genre film...

I would not consider THE LOST WORLD, A.I., or WAR OF THE WORLDS "good" especially by Spielberg standards. MINORITY REPORT was solid but had a lot of weird, "adult" elements that put a lot of people off (as evidenced by its good, but definitely not great, box-office intake).

Bottom line is Spielberg has NOT worked effectively with this kind of "light," upbeat fantasy in quite a while. It was his forte but IMO he has lost his touch to some degree, no question.

DavidM

#14 Post by DavidM »

I think Lost World, A.I., Minority Report and War of the Worlds are great! Okay, just kidding about Lost World...

Bill Williams

#15 Post by Bill Williams »

Somehow, the thought of a fourth Indiana Jones film doesn't thrill me all that much. I thought the first "Mummy" flick with Brendan Fraser could have easily passed for an Indy film - all that was needed was Harrison Ford and another $100 million domestic intake to make it an Indiana Jones installment.

Besides, the way "The Last Crusade" rounded out the trilogy perfectly, I just didn't see the need for a fourth installment. Then again, have a lot of people forgotten that technically Harrison Ford has been Indy four times already, and, should this new one go into production, this would make five? Let's go back to the 1990's when he appeared in the bookend segments of the Young Indiana Jones installment "The Mystery of the Blues".

Which reminds me... when are Lucasfilm and Paramount going to get it together and issue "Young Indiana Jones" on DVD?
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.