SUPERMAN RETURNS Thread (Olde Spoiler Warnin' Ahead)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

SUPERMAN RETURNS Thread (Olde Spoiler Warnin' Ahead)

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Thought I'd fire one up as I know this movie will be eagerly awaited by a lot of us here.

USA Today (3/16) has a nice story about Dana Reeve getting in touch with Brandon Routh, in addition to some pics (a couple of them new) from the movie:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/new ... urns_x.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/20 ... /flash.htm

I was a bit let down to hear they're using Brando's voice but a CGI VERSION of him in the movie, we'll see how that works.
Last edited by AndyDursin on Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Williams

Re: SUPERMAN RETURNS Thread

#2 Post by Bill Williams »

I for one am excited about this new film. Sounds like Bryan Singer is going to do this project right. Since the only footage I've seen has been the teaser trailer, I'm going into it for the most part with a purer objective (not having seen all 27 of Singer's blogs). I've not even listened to any audio comments from Brandon Routh, as I'm choosing to keep a more objective point of view toward this film.

I did at first have some reservations about the costume and the way Routh has the famous spitcurl combed in the wrong direction, but I've got to say that the costume has grown on me (though the boots could have been a little taller than they are). And the spitcurl? Well, in the first season of "Superboy" John Haymes Newton had his hair parted in the opposite direction in the part, and Dean Cain's Superman in "Lois and Clark" didn't even have a spitcurl at all, so who am I to harp on it? Everyone has their interpretation, so as long as they stay true to the source roots, how long Routh's boots are or how he combs his hair is of no debate to me.

I'm also eager to see how Kevin Spacey will handle Lex Luthor. Definitely won't be like Gene Hackman's more comic approach, that's for sure, or Michael Rosenbaum's gradual turn-to-the-dark-side approach in "Smallville", for that matter.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how Singer will incorporate Marlon Brando's footage from "Superman" and "Superman II" into the project. While it won't be a complete CGI rendition of Brando, there will be some digital tweaking, I believe. Thankfully, when we see the Richard Donner-approved version of SII on DVD later this year, we can compare the Brando footage in both films and see how it holds up.

The MPAA just announced that "Superman Returns" will be rated PG-13 for "intense action violence", and the film's official web site has just been updated to include the PG-13 rating on it. Sounds definitely intense to me!

I'm planning to take my stepdaughter Rachel to see it on opening day as part of her 10th birthday present, though I'm wondering who's more excited to see this film, her or me...? :lol:
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

My only worry is John Ottman.

In fact I might feel better if his music gets tossed and they bring back John Williams, but we all know that isn't going to happen. :(

Bill Williams

#4 Post by Bill Williams »

Showest just debuted the new trailer, and AICN (which I couldn't give a rat's hind end about, so don't even get me started about them) has a detailed listing about what's in the new trailer.

And Variety has reported that a very well known actor in today's movies has a prominent flashback cameo role as Jonathan Kent in the film. It had been rumored some months back, but Variety has confirmed it, so it's official: this summer we'll be seeing Hugh Jackman in two very prominent superhero films.
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

Bill Williams wrote:Showest just debuted the new trailer, and AICN (which I couldn't give a rat's hind end about, so don't even get me started about them) has a detailed listing about what's in the new trailer.

And Variety has reported that a very well known actor in today's movies has a prominent flashback cameo role as Jonathan Kent in the film. It had been rumored some months back, but Variety has confirmed it, so it's official: this summer we'll be seeing Hugh Jackman in two very prominent superhero films.
Hugh Jackman as John Kent?! Interesting...

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Q-BanditZ wrote:
Bill Williams wrote:Showest just debuted the new trailer, and AICN (which I couldn't give a rat's hind end about, so don't even get me started about them) has a detailed listing about what's in the new trailer.

Hugh Jackman as John Kent?! Interesting...
It's curious how, if this movie is neither a straight sequel nor a remake nor an "origin" story but apparently some combination of all three, that they're doing stuff like this.

But does anyone really care about Hugh Jackman? I mean, the guy is a good actor, but other than kids going "look it's Wolverine," the "wow factor" is kind of limited...it's not as if this is a young Sean Connery coming in for a cameo or something.

Bill Williams

#7 Post by Bill Williams »

It's curious how, if this movie is neither a straight sequel nor a remake nor an "origin" story but apparently some combination of all three, that they're doing stuff like this.
Well, Andy, it's suggested as a "sequel" of sorts to Richard Donner's version of "Superman II", with the first two films as the impetus for the new film. Bryan Singer is disavowing III and IV in terms of his version of the film, so it's not a remake, and it's neither an origin story either (though Singer does touch upon some unseen elements of Superman's origin in the film). DC Comics is planning four one-shot comics that will tie in with the film's release and fill in some of the gaps between Donner's SII and Singer's SR, so that should explain some of the questions you may have.

It'll be interesting to see how the final version will play out.

romanD

#8 Post by romanD »

hi there.. unfortunately I didn't get any flights to LA anymore so I cant attend the recording sessions... :-((((

but the good thing is that I go now to Lonodn next week and attend Marco Beltramis sessions there for the omen-remake. At abbey road. How cool is that? I hope they hired the LSO... :-)

I heard they use a lot (if not the whole score) of Goldsmith's themes... so I can hear them performed live!!! yeah! am very excited!!!

I talked to Tim Curran about it and so I will write for FSM about it and take pcitrues and such... so keep watching the online magzine!!!

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Roman you'd best give us the low-down, never mind FSM's online mag ;)

Sounds good. I hope he fares better than Jonathan Sheffer, but I'm sure he will...I just hope the movie is watchable after that director's last two outings.

Bill Williams

#10 Post by Bill Williams »

Superman Homepage is reporting that the U.K. edition of Total Film magazine has included with its print publication the first commercially available DVD release of the "Superman Returns" teaser trailer, along with three of Bryan Singer's blogs: "To Fly" (#10), "Love Previs" (#20), and "20 Hours to San Diego" (#22).

Man, I hope this will be done in a Region 1 version here! I'd hate to get the DVD in November and find that neither the teaser nor the blogs are on the set!

Bill Williams

#11 Post by Bill Williams »

Posted on Kal-El.org this past Saturday... this one oughtta be interesting!

Comics Continuum is reporting that Superman Returns: HBO First Look will premiere on HBO on Monday, June 19 at 10:15 p.m. Like other HBO First Looks specials, the one for Superman Returns will run 13 minutes. Other air dates include Sunday, June 25 at 11:30 a.m.; Tuesday, June 27 at 10 a.m. and 9:45 p.m.; Wednesday, June 28 at 5 p.m.; Thursday, June 29 at 7:45 a.m. and 11:45 p.m.; and Friday, June 30 at 10:15 a.m.

Carlson2005

#12 Post by Carlson2005 »

Bill Williams wrote:the U.K. edition of Total Film magazine has included with its print publication the first commercially available DVD release of the "Superman Returns" teaser trailer, along with three of Bryan Singer's blogs: "To Fly" (#10), "Love Previs" (#20), and "20 Hours to San Diego"
Those Total Film DVDs have been quite good lately: although none of the Superman Returns stuff is particularly interesting, the trailers on it for the other upcoming summer films has been particularly useful - after seeing the tralers for Da Vinci Code and Waiting, I know better than to get my hopes up for either of them being any good! And it does have the dancng penguins from Happy Feet on it too...

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Carlson2005 wrote:
Bill Williams wrote:the U.K. edition of Total Film magazine has included with its print publication the first commercially available DVD release of the "Superman Returns" teaser trailer, along with three of Bryan Singer's blogs: "To Fly" (#10), "Love Previs" (#20), and "20 Hours to San Diego"
Those Total Film DVDs have been quite good lately: although none of the Superman Returns stuff is particularly interesting, the trailers on it for the other upcoming summer films has been particularly useful - after seeing the tralers for Da Vinci Code and Waiting, I know better than to get my hopes up for either of them being any good! And it does have the dancng penguins from Happy Feet on it too...
DA VINCI CODE looks horrid, I am not rushing out to see that one anytime soon....is WAITING the Ryan Reynolds movie that opened and closed in a weekend last fall?

Carlson2005

#14 Post by Carlson2005 »

Yes, that's the one - believe it or not they're trying to sell it as the next Clerks, but it just looks like recycled gags from Old School.

To be honest, few of the summer trailers look even remotely good - POTC2 looks like it might work, but it could go either way; Superman Returns is a poor trailer, but it still hints that it could be a good film; MI3 looks like it might be better than the last turkey - not that that's a recommendation - Poseidon could go either way as well, while X-Men 3, Cars, Over the Hedge and particularly Miami Vice both look like out-and-out turkeys. :(

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

I usually don't pay much attention to the Aint it Cool News "test screening reviews" but you should check out the guy who saw MIAMI VICE...a good read, a funny last paragraph, and I dunno, it just sounds "legit" for lack of a better term.

PIRATES 2 looks fun -- it might be too much, it might be great, who knows.

After seeing it a few times, I've come to the conclusion that SUPERMAN RETURNS does not have a great trailer. Strip it of the Williams and Brando audio and what do you have? And I still don't understand why they had to alter the colors of Superman's costume...these days it seems everyone has a better idea, you know?

CARS looks completely uninteresting. It'll play well in the south since they're all auto-racing crazy but good luck getting anyone on the East Coast north of there to pay much attention.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to APOCALYPTO but Disney just moved it back to December.

Right now I think the cult of people who want to see SNAKES ON A PLANE is growing and I'd take that movie, sight unseen, over most of the stuff I've seen trailers for!