Any recent Canadian DVDs worth picking up?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Carlson2005

Any recent Canadian DVDs worth picking up?

#1 Post by Carlson2005 »

With the US dollar collapsing so spectacularly against foreign currency, it's actually getting more expensive to import regular DVDs from Canada these days. However, there is one Canadian-only DVD that I want to order, but the shipping for one DVD to the UK is so high (almost as much as the DVD for just one item) that it makes more sense to get another 2-3 titles at the same time. So, does anyone know of any decent Canadian-only special editions over the past year or so with English language options? Cheers.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I see they released the first season of HARDCASTLE & McCORMICK (Brian Keith!) there....that's pretty much the only Canadian DVD I've really noticed has been discussed on the net in months.

No new BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF Special Editions, in other words....

andy b

#3 Post by andy b »

If it helps at all I live in BC Canada, so if you wanted some titles I can check out Previously viewed at Blockbusters which go as low as $8 + tax (14%) or can get you a wholesale rate for them, a good friend owns an independent cd & dvd store & you can pay my friend in the UK & I can mail them.

1 DVD to the Uk is about $6

$ = Canadian $$ not USA $$

Not trying to generate business or anything just offering to help.

regards

Andy b

Carlson2005

#4 Post by Carlson2005 »

Thanks for your generous offer, Andy, and my apologies for not replying sooner.

However, I'm not sure if the film I'm after is Blockbuster material if their US and UK branches are anything to go by - arthouse releases have never occupied much shelfspace there, although its possible that there's a wider market for French films in Canada.

It's a Patrice Leconte film called Rue des Plaisirs, which may also go under the title Love Street. The Canadian DVD is apparently the only issue that is both in 2.35:1 and has English subtitles (the film was a major flop in France and went unreleased in most of the world). Please don't go to any special trouble on my account, but if you can ask about it next time you talk to your friend, I'd be very grateful, especially since the shipping on the first or only item to the UK from Amazon.ca is around $15 - but as I said, I'm not expecting miracles here.

Thanks agan! :D :D

andy b

#5 Post by andy b »

Won't be any trouble, hooking up with my friend in a week or so to pick up some stuff he ordered for me, so I'll check it out for you then.

regards

Andy

Michael Ryan

#6 Post by Michael Ryan »

Hello All,

Just a quick note on the French langauge in Canada. Many people who live outside of Canada are under the impression that French is spoken everywhere in the True North. Nothing could be further from the truth. French is spoken in the province of Quebec, outside of Quebec there are some small pockets here and there, but very little.

Also, Quebec French is somewhat different than the French they speak in France.

Mike

(edit: It is important to note that French is the second "official" language of Canada, so that it why you see it on DVDs, and all products sold in Canada.)

Carlson2005

#7 Post by Carlson2005 »

Quebec French is somewhat different than the French they speak in France.
There's a neat throwawayjoke about that in Jean-Pierre Melville's L'Armee Des Ombres/Army in the Shadows, which gets a reissue here next week, when the French resistance have trouble with a Canadian airman who thinks his Quebec French passes for fluent French French! :lol:

Thanks for the info, and thanks a lot to Andy for your kind offer!

Cheers! :D