THE SWARM -new Ridley Scott project based on German thriller

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

THE SWARM -new Ridley Scott project based on German thriller

#1 Post by romanD »

wow... am very excited. The author of the German book thriller THE SWARM (Frank Schaetzing) revealed today, that Ridley Scott will direct the movie version of his bestseller.
The book has been spending more than 2 years now in the Top10 in Germany and is truly an amazing book (even more so that a German wrote it and that Germans actually like to read something like this...). Almost 1000 pages about something going on in the oceans. It's a clever mystery-actioner like Michael Crichton, though with better (if not really original) characters and a fascinating idea. All kinds of sea-creatures start turning against humans, working together, leaving the oceans, spreading diseases and even the oceanic streams come to a stop. What's going on? What or who is behind this? And why? And how can you stop it? The answer may be the swarm...

this book is full of amazing actionpieces, which are not only really nailbiting, but also work on a visual level, which cries for a big hollywood summer movie. Also you have the feeling you learn a lot about the life in the oceans when reading it (something they will skip of course in the movie), so it is not only a pageturner due its excitement level, but also because it is actually very interesting.
The reason for it all is a fascinating idea...

so, in case you're looking for a great book at the beach (although you may ask yourself whether you really wanna go into the water after it):

and really, can't wait to see the film. Of course they have to reduce a lot and that shouldnt be such a problem, as you can easily mold several characters into one, but the destruction of Scandinavia and the evacuation of NYC is worth the admission ticket alone I bet!

Sour note with Scott helming now is the composer... I was hoping for a JNH or Young score, now we're back with PEACEMAKER I guess... :-(((

check it out!

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

At first I thought we were remaking THE SWARM :)

This sounds a lot more exciting, I'm in -- even if the premise resembles the NBC show SURFACE to some degree (oceanic creatures appear, possibly conceived by the government, start attacking humans, etc.).

With Scott this could be a lot of fun!

romanD

#3 Post by romanD »

then surface stole the idea from the novel as it is out for at least 2 years now.

wonder what the reason for the creatures is in SURFACE.

Yeah, Scott doing a remake of THE SWARM would be... uhm... suprising? :-)

it's a great book and the sieze of the action is amazing, didn't expect it to be that huge!... read it!

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:At first I thought we were remaking THE SWARM :)
Maybe Scott could make the Snakes On A Plane sequel Bees On A Train. :D

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:At first I thought we were remaking THE SWARM :)
Maybe Scott could make the Snakes On A Plane sequel Bees On A Train. :D
When is that movie actually coming out?

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:When is that movie actually coming out?
Late summer, I'd imagine. It strikes me as the perfect lazy August afternoon timewaster.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:When is that movie actually coming out?
Late summer, I'd imagine. It strikes me as the perfect lazy August afternoon timewaster.
Yes, following on the heels of ANACONDAS, THE CAVE, and similar junk we've seen in the last few years.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Found it! Now it definitely seems as if the movie has taken on a cult following for all the wrong reasons -- but hey, if it translates into box-office success, wouldn't that be crazy?

Re-shoots a'plenty, apparently, too!

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/zap-s ... -headlines

Reshoots Boost 'Snakes on a Plane'
Fresh shooting adds more gore, nudity and snakes to 'Snakes on a Plane'

Already an Internet sensation months before its summer release, "Snakes on a Plane" is about to get even snake-ier.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Samuel L. Jackson thriller had a round of reshoots -- or, more appropriately, a round of new shooting -- earlier this month. Usually a bad sign for a production that ended long ago, the five days of new lensing were apparently to bring the cult vehicle from its intended PG-13 rating to a more intense R.

Jackson stars as an FBI agent transporting an important witness across the country on a plane. There's one part of the title. Unfortunately, some people have decided that the witness needs to die. What better way to kill the witness than with snakes? There's the second part of the title. And once you've decided to kill the witness with snakes, what could be easier than unleashing hundreds of the slithering suckers on a plane. Wait. Snakes on a plane? Wacky.

Set for release on August 18, "Snakes" already survived a studio attempted name change to "Pacific Air Flight 121." As the lore goes, Jackson worked for a while under the alternative title before letting the producers know that he wanted the snakes back on the plane, titularly speaking.

"It's like, come on," Jackson laughed with reporters last fall. "You either want to see this movie or you don't. 'Snakes on a Plane.' There's no mystery to that."

Thanks to growing online devotion, "Snakes" has gone from an under-the-radar B-movie to an anticipated guilty pleasure without the benefit of an official trailer.

The HR story says that the ratings-inspired reshoots added more violence, more gore, more nudity and, yes, more snakes. They might have added more planes as well, but something has to be left for the sequel "More Snakes on More Planes."

Admit it, you can't wait.