FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS -- Disappointing

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS -- Disappointing

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

I just watched this the other night on DVD.

I'm trying to figure out the critics loved about this one, but I found it surprisingly dull, lifeless in parts and very disjointed...and the score by Eastwood is one of his worst, being thoroughly repetitive and even annoying at times. I do understand the point of the desaturated cinematography (because the movie jumps around so much, it's used as a visual reference for audiences about the time period), but I really found the film to be a large disappointment. (at least, I can see why it didn't take off at the box-office -- it simply isn't that good).

Anyone else see it/feel the same way?

Carlson2005

#2 Post by Carlson2005 »

I had no idea any critics did love it. Certainly in Europe the reviews were poor to middling, unlike Letters From Iwo Jima, which is a veritable love-in.

John Johnson

#3 Post by John Johnson »

Flags of Our Fathers didn't really interest me. I would rather see Letters From Iwo Jima. Anything with Ken Watanabe is a plus for me.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Carlson2005 wrote:I had no idea any critics did love it. Certainly in Europe the reviews were poor to middling, unlike Letters From Iwo Jima, which is a veritable love-in.
They were anything but poor-to-middling here. 74% positive on the Tomato Meter (yes, yes, I know it's not an accurate sampling with lots of no-name critics but the reviews on the whole were positive, no doubt).

Carlson2005

#5 Post by Carlson2005 »

I'm always dubious about RottenTomatoes, not because of their samples but because of their definition of 'fresh.' For example, Children of Men got very average reviews in Europe, some of which are quoted on the site, yet because they weren't flat-out negative they got recorded as 'fresh.' If you call up some of the 'fresh' reviews on that film, you'll find that it was dismissed by many as a routine and cliched effort.

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

I haven't seen this thing yet, but I got the idea from enough people that this probably is something you'd get more out of watching it at home vs. in the theater.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Carlson2005 wrote:I'm always dubious about RottenTomatoes, not because of their samples but because of their definition of 'fresh.' For example, Children of Men got very average reviews in Europe, some of which are quoted on the site, yet because they weren't flat-out negative they got recorded as 'fresh.' If you call up some of the 'fresh' reviews on that film, you'll find that it was dismissed by many as a routine and cliched effort.
Yes I'm well aware. Doesn't change the fact that most of the reviews on FLAGS were positive over here.

Jedbu

See IWO JIMA as well

#8 Post by Jedbu »

:) Andy, you're opinion of FLAGS has a lot of merit. I saw it one night a few weeks ago and was not disappointed, but I found myself getting "pulled out" of the film by the flashbacks and flashforwards.' Then I saw IWO JIMA the following day and FLAGS clicked into place for me and both the performances and the direction finally hit me (Adam Beach was robbed of an Oscar nod IMHO). Combined, they are one incredible film and they rank with Eastwood's best work. See IWO JIMA before you really make up your mind.
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES