LAST EMBRACE (1979) - Andy's 4K UHD Review

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

LAST EMBRACE (1979) - Andy's 4K UHD Review

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

5/10

After the passing of Alfred Hitchcock numerous directors attempted to keep the director’s “vibe” alive by producing homages like Jonathan Demme’s 1979 affair LAST EMBRACE (102 mins., 1979, R; Cinematographe). This adaptation of Murray Teigh Bloom’s novel “The 13th Man” offers a laundry list of attractive ingredients – from a terrific lead performance by Roy Scheider to its outstanding supporting cast and Miklos Rozsa’s romantic, old-fashioned score – yet the movie itself doesn’t work, an unsuccessful attempt at melding the suspense of Hitch with the sensibilities of the late ‘70s.

Scheider does his best with a difficult – and not always sympathetic – role of a secret agent whose wife was killed in Mexico during a failed operation he was running. After having recuperated – to a degree – Scheider picks up his next assignment and promptly ends up doubting his sanity when he receives threats written in Hebrew. A Princeton grad student (Janet Margolin) becomes Scheider’s surprise roommate and soon offers him assistance, their trail of ancient Jewish texts and beliefs leading them ultimately to a Niagara Falls climax and effective location shooting from Demme and his long-time cinematographer Tak Fujimoto.

Despite so many elements going for it – a supporting cast which includes John Glover and Christopher Walken among them – “Last Embrace” fizzles out in its attempt to present the audience with a modern day Hitchcockian thriller. Scheider’s determined performance keeps one watching but numerous sequences are awkwardly staged and the ending a let down, with David Shaber’s script failing to get the viewer onboard Scheider’s central plight and buy into its premise. More over, the melding of Hitchcockian tenants with Rozsa’s score and a plot more “R-rated” than the type of material it’s trying to evoke results in a jarring clash of styles that fail to gel. Another issue is the female lead: Margolin is serviceable in covering the “girl next door” component of her role but is never convincing with its femme fatale angle, and I confess I laughed outloud at the end of the bedroom murder scene, where the drama fails to match the boldness of Rozsa’s score.

“Last Embrace” still has a certain quality about it that makes it compelling, mostly thanks to Scheider, who atypically emotes all over the place as the guilt-ridden secret agent, and Rozsa’s music. This is in the same vein as “Eye of the Needle” for a late career “throwback” score, and it clearly outclasses the movie it accompanies. Demme and Fujimoto’s location lensing is notable also, at least, providing another component that provides buffs with viewing interest.

Cinematographe’s 4K UHD is yet another bravura effort from the label, sporting a fresh scan of the 35mm OCN with HDR10 enhancement that increases the color and fine detail (1.85) over the prior MGM HD master Kino Lorber released on Blu-Ray a decade ago. Watching the movie’s New York locations is like taking a trip back in time, and on that end, the picture gets by, while the mono sound is decently mixed, boasting its fair share of ADR’d dialogue (note for BD owners that the accompanying Blu-Ray is based off the same 4K restoration).

An archival interview with producer Michael Taylor is interesting and carried over from the previous BD, while new extras include a commentary by Howard S. Berger and Steve Michell; a video essay by Samm Deighan; and booklet notes with essays from Jim Hemphill, Jeva Lange, and the label’s Justin LaLiberty. It’s all housed in a hardbound case limited to 6,000 copies.

Eric Paddon

Re: LAST EMBRACE (1979) - Andy's 4K UHD Review

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

I saw this film in its Blu-Ray release and was unimpressed. Margolin is indeed a weak female lead, and what's worse as I recall the whole plot element involving Walken just comes to an abrupt halt in the film with no sense of resolution whatsoever. And a film that is telegraphing its climactic ending scene with no sense of subtlety for such a long period of time without seeming organically natural from a story standpoint was another big flaw.

TaranofPrydain

#3 Post by TaranofPrydain »

It's half or a little over half of a terrific Hitchcockesque thriller, with a strong Roy Scheider performance and that exceptional Rozsa score, but then after we find out the truth about Margolin in that ridiculous bathroom scene, the whole film essentially falls apart and all the tension it had built up disappears. It's rare to see a film of the period spontaneously combust so quickly.

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

TaranofPrydain wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:23 am It's half or a little over half of a terrific Hitchcockesque thriller, with a strong Roy Scheider performance and that exceptional Rozsa score, but then after we find out the truth about Margolin in that ridiculous bathroom scene, the whole film essentially falls apart and all the tension it had built up disappears. It's rare to see a film of the period spontaneously combust so quickly.
I always found that scene just out of left field. I was like, "huh?"

The only thing I really liked about Last Embrace was that Demme asked Miklos Rozsa to write the score. I loved that after being "put out to pasture" in the 1960s (for being "old fashioned") Rozsa was suddenly scoring major Hollywood films like this, Time After Time, Eye of the Needle, etc. And his scores worked in those movies -- they didn't seem "old fashioned" at all.

And welcome to the board, TaranofPyrdain!

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:50 amI loved that after being "put out to pasture" in the 1960s (for being "old fashioned") Rozsa was suddenly scoring major Hollywood films like this, Time After Time, Eye of the Needle, etc. And his scores worked in those movies -- they didn't seem "old fashioned" at all.
You probably have Mr. Williams to thank for that...I don't think it's a coincidence that, after winning an Oscar and selling a ton of soundtrack albums with Star Wars, suddenly the Big Orchestral Score was back in vogue, and composers like Rozsa reaped the benefits of studios suddenly wanting "That Star Wars sound!" for their films.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Big orchestral film scoring obviously had a renaissance because of Star Wars, yet I don't think of Rozsa though when I think of Williams, the styles are very different. I chalk it up to the ersatz Hitchock movement that people like DePalma started and his (and Scorsese's) hiring of Bernard Herrmann back in the '70s. That to me laid the groundwork for Rozsa being hired on something like LAST EMBRACE.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:48 am Big orchestral film scoring obviously had a renaissance because of Star Wars, yet I don't think of Rozsa though when I think of Williams, the styles are very different. I chalk it up to the ersatz Hitchcock movement that people like DePalma started and his (and Scorsese's) hiring of Bernard Herrmann back in the '70s. That to me laid the groundwork for Rozsa being hired on something like LAST EMBRACE.
I agree that Williams and Rozsa don't sound much alike, but there was a big swing back towards the MOVIE Music sound of the 1940s and 50s at the tail end of the 70s and carrying through the 80s, and Star Wars was a big part of the reason why, audiences suddenly noticing the background score in a way they hadn't before and studios simply dissecting every aspect of the massive success of Lucas' film and finding Williams' contribution a big part of the overall package. Which was GREAT for people like us. :) John Barry's style sound nothing like Williams either, but he scored three Star Wars ripoffs in 1979 alone (Starcrash, Moonraker, The Black Hole), as every reasonably competent composer in Hollywood got the edict that that swoony, theme-driven, swashbuckling scoring style was back, and they all had a crack at it. Even Dave Grusin took a whack at it with The Goonies, and that's a style he never did before that film, or after.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm just saying that kind of movie, and the people who scored them, was already making a comeback with DePalma. I mean, OBSESSION was all phony Hitchcock and Herrmann was tapped to score it. I see a stylistic/tonal connection between that and something like LAST EMBRACE, neither of which really have anything to do with STAR WARS or the success of Williams score (I mean, OBSESSION was already being shot when STAR WARS was being made, etc). What Williams' score led to was more a classical/Korngoldian fanfare type of big orchestral sound/romantic renaissance that people were looking to jump on top of.