JURASSIC WORLD - What's Behind Padlock 9? A Bad Movie

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: JURASSIC WORLD - June 12, 2015 - Brolin Says "No"

#31 Post by AndyDursin »

Lots and lots of CGI. I would expect a 3D release as well.
Now THAT is surprising! ;) Given they're not spending much on the actors, I'd certainly hope they spend it on the dinosaurs!

So who is the "lead" in this movie -- the kids? Is Chris Pratt playing the Brolin villain then?

DavidBanner

#32 Post by DavidBanner »

The lead is Chris Pratt. I agree they're not spending their budget on the cast.

But frankly, none of the Jurassic Park movies did that anyway. The movies have always been about the dinosaurs.

I'm waiting for them to announce the villain before I spill it - I'll say that it's a familiar face, but not in this franchise. He isn't an A lister. But he has experience going back a good 27 years. And he's played a major sci-fi villain before in something that Spielberg was affiliated with.

What I'm seeing in terms of the scale of the production indicates that they are spending serious coin here. Looks like 2-3 months in Hawaii, followed by months in Louisiana for the stage work. Note that they will not be shooting in Los Angeles even for their stage work.

It's a sad sign of the times that I was able to walk across a nearly empty Universal Studios backlot in July of this year. This is a lot that at one time was overflowing with productions, and July is when all the TV shows are always starting back up. From what I could tell, they were operating at maybe half occupancy - with many shows still lying dormant. (CSI takes up a few stages, as does Parenthood). Most of the stages that were active were reality TV shows - talk shows, competition shows, game shows. And the biggest irony was that I was going to a publicity event for Oblivion, their big spring movie. Since there was no production going on in that area, they could devote at least three soundstages to this event. Adding to this irony was the fact that Oblivion itself did all its stage work in Louisiana rather than Los Angeles. Our publicity event was the only time that the Oblivion props had been seen on a stage in Hollywood.

AndyDursin

#33 Post by AndyDursin »

But frankly, none of the Jurassic Park movies did that anyway. The movies have always been about the dinosaurs.
That's absolutely true but at least there were familiar, recognizable faces in the first Jurassic Park like Goldblum,Attenborough, Laura Dern, Sam Neill, etc. Nobody who would sell tickets by themselves but at least provide some veteran support to the story so it wasn't entirely being carried by FX. Certainly more recognizable than this movie, which has a cast that is almost no-name across the board for the large majority of viewers out there (I'm not sure anyone has ever cared about Bryce Dallas Howard's career, but she's essentially the biggest name attached -- and that doesn't say much, obviously -- with the exception of the actor you're not mentioning lol).

They are absolutely banking on the dinosaurs and the brand selling the film entirely, which is kind of risky -- just a bit -- when you consider the director has no track record either. I'm surprised there isn't one dependable actor -- or at least a "known commodity" -- in the film, to be honest.

AndyDursin

#34 Post by AndyDursin »

Vincent D'Onofrio cast as one of the main villains (is this the name you heard David?)

This would've been exciting news 15 or 20 years ago...but D'Onofrio has been in tepid projects for years, many of them direct-to-video. He's phoned it in so many times I've seen him that it's kind of sad to see where this ego-centric actor -- talented obviously -- ended up in terms of a career arc.

Either way, IMO it's very minor casting rounding out a very minor cast IMO.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/vincent ... lain-role/

DavidBanner

Re: JURASSIC WORLD - June 12, 2015 - Villains Revealed

#35 Post by DavidBanner »

D'Onofrio was the name I was told. This just makes it official.

AndyDursin

Re: JURASSIC WORLD - June 12, 2015 - Villains Revealed

#36 Post by AndyDursin »

That's what I assumed. I think if this was THE LOST WORLD, back in '97, it would have had more impact. I mean, I saw D'Onofrio phone it in in ESCAPE PLAN of all things lol...he's just beyond his prime at this point.

mkaroly

Re: JURASSIC WORLD - June 12, 2015

#38 Post by mkaroly »

MG is doing the new POTA movie too.

AndyDursin

#39 Post by AndyDursin »

2 more soundtracks I won't be buying! ;)

AndyDursin

#40 Post by AndyDursin »

Finally some plot elements have spilled out. Sounds like remnants of that (rightfully) aborted "military dino-man" script are working its way into this new story, with "trained good dinosaurs" taking on the bad ones.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusi ... dinos-more

mkaroly

#41 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:Finally some plot elements have spilled out. Sounds like remnants of that (rightfully) aborted "military dino-man" script are working its way into this new story, with "trained good dinosaurs" taking on the bad ones.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusi ... dinos-more
It sounds awful.

Monterey Jack

#42 Post by Monterey Jack »

mkaroly wrote:It sounds awful.
Every entry in this series is exponentially worse that the previous installment. This one should earn a big, fat "F" at this rate. :shock:

AndyDursin

#43 Post by AndyDursin »

I'd be happy if this is as good as JP III at this point. And no, not looking to reignite that debate -- I do like that sequel (in spite of its numerous flaws) and a whole lot more than the truly putrid LOST WORLD. :mrgreen:

To me, I think GODZILLA is going to eat this movie for lunch the way things are going. 8)

AndyDursin

#44 Post by AndyDursin »

Trailer is going out to be out on Thanksgiving day...will be curious to see it given how they've kept so much of this under wraps (even more so than the next Star Wars). Of course maybe it's just because not as many people care lol.

AndyDursin

#45 Post by AndyDursin »

Oh my....and not in a good way.