STAR TREK Official Thread -- Reactions *Spoilers*

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

STAR TREK Official Thread -- Reactions *Spoilers*

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Abrams' buddy Damon Lindelof is going to write along with Orci and Kurtzmann.

Full story here.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... id=13&cs=1

As Paramount Pictures readies the May 8 release of its "Star Trek" franchise relaunch, the studio is moving forward with a sequel, and has hired Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof to pen the screenplay.

J.J. Abrams, who directed and produced the latest chapter, is onboard to produce the follow-up alongside his Bad Robot partner Bryan Burk. No decision has been made yet on whether Abrams will return behind the camera for the sequel.

Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof also are receiving producing credit on the sequel.

Story is still in the embryonic stage, but the trio are aiming to deliver their script to the Melrose studio by Christmas for what would likely be a summer 2011 release.

"There's obviously a lot of hubris involved in signing on to write a sequel of a movie that hasn't even come out yet," said Lindelof, co-creator with Abrams of ABC's "Lost" who produced the upcoming "Trek" but did not contribute to Orci and Kurtzman's screenplay. "But we're so excited about the first one that we wanted to proceed."

As for potential storylines, Kurtzman stressed that the writing team will wait to take a cue from fan reaction about which direction to go.

"Obviously we discussed ideas, but we are waiting to see how audiences respond next month," he said. "With a franchise rebirth, the first movie has to be about origin. But with a second, you have the opportunity to explore incredibly exciting things. We'll be ambitious about what we'll do."

Though Orci and Kurtzman have worked together as a writing team for more than 12 years, the duo has worked with Lindelof on only one screenplay: DreamWorks' "Cowboys and Aliens," which they are currently writing together.

Paramount has high hopes for the "Star Trek" relaunch, and is pulling out all the stops on the marketing front. Studio began a full-scale campaign six months before the film's May bow.
Last edited by AndyDursin on Sat May 09, 2009 2:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Well, I guess I can't be too surprised by this but this certainly tells me upfront that they're VERY confident about how this first film is going to perform.

Naturally, the devil's advocate in me has to ask: What if this first Star Trek film doesn't perform up to these lofty expectations?

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I get the impression this movie is going to make acres of cash -- even if it's only decent. Heck even IRON MAN -- a Marvel "B" comic book by most measures -- did $300 million domestic.

There's this incredible lust for TREK from fans, which would get them out away, but this movie is being aimed at newcomers and relaunching the series too. Even if it's mediocre, it'll be one of the highest grossing movies of the year. They probably figure what doesn't work this time they can correct with the next one.

And indeed, they probably are confident about its chances.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:I get the impression this movie is going to make acres of cash -- even if it's only decent. Heck even IRON MAN -- a Marvel "B" comic book by most measures -- did $300 million domestic.

There's this incredible lust for TREK from fans, which would get them out away, but this movie is being aimed at newcomers and relaunching the series too. Even if it's mediocre, it'll be one of the highest grossing movies of the year. They probably figure what doesn't work this time they can correct with the next one.

Agreed on all points.

mkaroly

#5 Post by mkaroly »

Eric W. wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:I get the impression this movie is going to make acres of cash -- even if it's only decent. Heck even IRON MAN -- a Marvel "B" comic book by most measures -- did $300 million domestic.

Agreed on all points.
I know they'll have my $8.00 or whatever the price of a ticket is on opening weekend. I can't not go and see it.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

Being someone who's never been a "Trekkie" (the only Trek movie I've seen all the way through was First Contact, which was okay), I'm wondering how this will play for "newbies" to the franchise (which is likely the sole reason it's being made). Pretty much every audience reaction to the trailer I've witnessed has been pretty muted (with a lot of "Another one...?" muttering). Giacchino's score is what will likely entice me to se this or not.

But I'm wondering if doing a "prequel" to the original series is the right way to go. The Star Wars prequels suffered from their connect-the-dots obviousness in how they made every character who appeared for five seconds in the OT a major player in the events that led up to the first three films. I feel if they had distanced themselves from the OT, a lot of people wouldn't have attacked the films so strenuously. If they don't cram this new Trek film with endless "geek" in-jokes, they might have something to build on in future installments.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

MJ -- FIRST CONTACT? Really? Time to use Netflix, you've missed out my friend. :) Rent KHAN!!! You will be quoting it for months, and you don't need to see the original series to enjoy it either.

That said, the new movie isn't a prequel in the same sense that the STAR WARS films were. Nimoy is in it as Spock, and Abrams is using a time travel plot as a hook of getting you into the cast as young people -- the bad guy tries to kill Kirk as a young man to prevent him from saving the day in the future, etc. that kind of thing. This creates a framework for the "alternate timeline" adventures of young Kirk and company to follow.

I'm quite excited about the movie. I'm not excited about Giacchino scoring it, but if he does a good job and doesn't write a group of chords (like LOST) or simply mimic Goldsmith, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm quite interested in seeing how the cast fares, especially Zachary Quinto who's great as Sylar, the serial killer on HEROES but it remains to be seen if he can channel the internal struggle and, indeed, heart and soul of Nimoy.

As far as the jokes go, I'm not expecting STAR TREK V (which isn't nearly as bad as its rep indicates), but I do expect a good amount of them. Abrams isn't afraid to use humor even in his work and the last thing most people want is a deadly serious, Christopher Nolan-ized version of STAR TREK...I'm expecting something as you describe, that will equally lure in new viewers as well as casual AND hard-core fans. Plus, it ought to be somewhat family friendly -- because that's what Star Trek is after all.

Seems to me like this is being aimed at everybody, especially the former camps. The premise seems like it's a smart set-up, now we'll have to see if the execution works or if we have another MI3 on our hands. Let's hope not.

Eric W.

#8 Post by Eric W. »

Monterey Jack wrote: Giacchino's score is what will likely entice me to se this or not.
Wow, I hope you have more on the table than just this.

John Johnson

#9 Post by John Johnson »

For me, the main reason I'm going is to see Simon Pegg. I'm a fan of his stuff, tv and film.
London. Greatest City in the world.

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

John Johnson wrote:For me, the main reason I'm going is to see Simon Pegg. I'm a fan of his stuff, tv and film.
I also love Pegg, and casting his as Scotty is inspired.

I'm also amused by the casting of the lovely Zoe Saldana, considering how she royally screwed up the Spock hand gesture thingy in The Terminal... :lol:

The Pessimist

#11 Post by The Pessimist »

mkaroly wrote:
Eric W. wrote:

Agreed on all points.
I know they'll have my $8.00 or whatever the price of a ticket is on opening weekend. I can't not go and see it.
Sure you can...that's if the reviews are saying there isn't a plot. :lol:
'Sorry about that one.' -Ed Wood

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm pretty convinced there IS going to be a plot.

What concerns me more is Abrams' direction, whether it's going to have size and scope or is going to feel like a TV-movie the way MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 did, in spite of its huge budget.

The Pessimist

#13 Post by The Pessimist »

AndyDursin wrote:I'm pretty convinced there IS going to be a plot.

What concerns me more is Abrams' direction, whether it's going to have size and scope or is going to feel like a TV-movie the way MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 did, in spite of its huge budget.
That's cool, I guess...but it would be kinda neat to ditch the whole Star Trek tradition recalling and create something completely fresh.
'Sorry about that one.' -Ed Wood

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Reviews are out all over the place and all of them are nothing short of ecstatic.

The only thing I didn't see mentioned was the music -- but everything else, apparently, works.

Can't wait :)

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

Yeah, but Trek "nerds" and AICN regulars are naturally going to jizz all over the film, no matter the actual quality. When "regular" moviegoers and reputable critics start giving he thumbs-up, I may consider this.