Pink Panther Cartoons

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

Pink Panther Cartoons

#1 Post by romanD »

just as strange note... when the Pink Panther cartoons were released ion Germany at their time, somebody thought that a cartoon without dialogue is not an option. So, what they did over here was having a narrator telling what's going on. Same with the cartoons of the blue anteater (don't know whether they are included with the PP cartoons). Though the Anteater now actually speaks and is an old grumpy lady... the blue elise, to be exact. Very funny actually. a friend of mine makes a living by doing standup-comedy re-acting (that's the word???) these cartoons with the German narrator and voices, really!

I have to say we Germans are so used to this narrator, who actually did a magnificent job, often speaking in rhymes and such, that you could never show the PP in its original american form over here.

I just found this noteworthy.... though I now despise any changes made on movies in different countries, changing the artistic vision. Big No No!

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

When the Panther cartoons aired on TV here, SOMETIMES they would add a narrator to explain what was going on -- they also trimmed some of the cartoons -- all in an effort to make them more accessible to young kids.

Those versions rarely turn up any more, however. Even when I was a kid they went back to how they were produced, without any dialogue.

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

I don't remember the narrators here in America. Thanks for your reviews of hte PP stuff- I must say that the Steve Martin film looks beyond dumb. I cannot see anyone else as Inspector Clouseau other than Peter Sellers. I never knew CURSE OTPP was better than awful. I'll have to check that out. :)

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly wrote:I don't remember the narrators here in America. Thanks for your reviews of hte PP stuff- I must say that the Steve Martin film looks beyond dumb. I cannot see anyone else as Inspector Clouseau other than Peter Sellers. I never knew CURSE OTPP was better than awful. I'll have to check that out. :)
Approach it with very, very low expectations and you might be pleasantly surprised...at least it's better than TRAIL.

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

I can remember one PP cartoon in which they actually gave him a voice. Rich Little basically did a Rex Harrison style imitation in it.

"Ant And The Ardvark" cartoons always had vocals, with John Byner doing thinly disguised impressions of Joey Bishop and Dean Martin respectively.

The cartoons put out by DePatie/Freling in this era that I know got revoiced involved a couple of Toads with thick Mexican accents, and when these shorts aired on Saturday Mornings in the NBC "Pink Panther Show" the Mexican voices had been replaced by Texas sounding voices and the cartoons themself renamed "Texas Toads." But when the shorts were syndicated in the 1980s they had their original Mexican voices again.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:I can remember one PP cartoon in which they actually gave him a voice. Rich Little basically did a Rex Harrison style imitation in it.

"Ant And The Ardvark" cartoons always had vocals, with John Byner doing thinly disguised impressions of Joey Bishop and Dean Martin respectively.

The cartoons put out by DePatie/Freling in this era that I know got revoiced involved a couple of Toads with thick Mexican accents, and when these shorts aired on Saturday Mornings in the NBC "Pink Panther Show" the Mexican voices had been replaced by Texas sounding voices and the cartoons themself renamed "Texas Toads." But when the shorts were syndicated in the 1980s they had their original Mexican voices again.
You can see those on Boomerang's daily PINK PANTHER half-hour (I believe with the Mexican voices), along with THE INSPECTOR, which is a lot of fun...I wished they had included some of those shorts in the box set to break things up a bit.