DEADPOOL - R-rated Weekend Record Ahead?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

DEADPOOL - R-rated Weekend Record Ahead?

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Ryan Reynolds is fine and all, but Gina Carano AND Morena Baccarin in the same movie? My god, I will actually PAY to see this!
Homeland star Morena Baccarin has nabbed the female lead in Deadpool, Fox's action movie based on the Marvel character.

Tim Miller is directing the action-adventure project, which stars Ryan Reynolds as an assassin who undergoes a procedure to cure his cancer that ends up leaving him twisted and scarred but also imbued with superpowers.

T.J. Miller and Gina Carano are already attached to the project, which is eyeing a March shoot and is slated for an early 2016 release.

Baccarin was one of a handful of actresses shortlisted for the role of Reynolds' character's love interest. The character grapples with falling for a man with a hideously scarred face.

The film is based on a script by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick. Simon Kinberg is producing with Lauren Shuler Donner.

On the film side, Baccarin will appear in Paul Feig's upcoming action-comedy Spy, opposite Melissa McCarthy. Her previous TV work includes Showtime's hit Homeland (which garnered her an Emmy nomination) and Fox's Gotham, on which she currently stars. She's repped by UTA, Seven Summits and Jackoway Tyerman.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ead-774904

Monterey Jack

Re: DEADPOOL Movie - Morena Baccarin Nabs Female Lead

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Morena is stunning. :shock:

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

She's joined my favorites list MJ. lol.

Just...wow.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Almost looks like a fusion of 90's Ashley Judd and Teri Hatcher. Certainly makes sitting through Gotham a little easier every week. 8)

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Do you watch HOMELAND? Her topless scenes only added to that series' excellence early on.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Do you watch HOMELAND? Her topless scenes only added to that series' excellence early on.
No, but I'm sorely tempted now. :D Too bad it isn't streaming on Netflix. :(

Eric W.

#7 Post by Eric W. »

Overall prospects looking good on this movie.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Reviews are uniformly excellent.

This is the kind of thing where you should be happy Disney doesn't control their whole movie empire because almost certainly they would never have made this movie

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/de ... 201695367/

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

I just wonder how the rating will affect the box office...the last hard-R superhero movie was Watchmen, and I still remember reading horror stories of parents walking out in a huff dragging their traumatized, bawling kids. Granted, Deadpool being an outright comedy makes this a slightly different case (pretty much the only R-rated movies that make money these days are profane, Apatow-style comedies), but I somehow doubt this will top $100 million in the U.S. I have zero knowledge of the character, aside from the fact that he's self-aware of being in a comic book, and Ryan Reynolds is an actor I can take or leave (Green Lantern... :shock: ). Still, I'll probably check this out just for the Baccarin eye candy. :D

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

They are expecting it to have a huge opening weekend of $50 mil but I agree it'll be interesting to see. These R rated buzzed about flicks like Kick Ass or Snakes on a Plane didn't translate to mainstream audiences. In my mind though this is quite different than those situations.

There is a huge fan base for the character -- he's had his own video game recently and is associated with the X-Men -- and ubdoubtedly sufficient Marvel fanboys over 18 who will want to see it. That alone should be enough to hit $100 mil and with all the good reviews probably a good amount more. As for the tone its very clear how raunchy and violent the film will be so I'd expect anyone with a brain will know what they are getting into lol.

For Reynolds, this is obviously going to be his showcase role, quite unlike Green Lantern. It's the perfect part for his humor and appeal.

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Based on the amount of people here Thrs night at 740 this movie is going to do very well.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Saw it last night. Greatest opening credits ever?

Terrific fun -- nothing groundbreaking here but hugely self-deprecating, with shots fired at all kinds of targets. You'd never see this from a Disney produced Marvel film. Music stinks but a litany of '80s classics will make you forget all about "JunkieXL"'s underscore. Baccarin is topless, Reynolds is hilarious, even the gore is so cartoonish that it's really not as "out there" as I anticipated. The 4th wall-breaking served it well, and the audience seemed to devour all of it.

It feels like the right comic book movie at the right time -- we've seen so many of the deadly serious super-hero films that here's one that was satirizing most of the cliche conventions of these films while still delivering the basic action entertainment you'd expect.

Monster opening ahead -- I don't think you'll have to worry about this hitting $100 mil MJ (though I have to warn you, lots of '80s film riffs throughout, much to the delight of the audience I saw the film with).
Monster $12.7M THU pre-show debut for #Deadpool - biggest ever for R-rated film.

Aud scores thru the roof. Massive 4day wknd ahead.
By comparison, Zoolander 2 took in $750,000. lol

Monterey Jack

Re: DEADPOOL - R-rated Weekend Record Ahead?

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

I also greatly enjoyed this (8.5/10), which was breezy, concise, and had just the right ratio of snark to giddy gore-a-thon action that didn't quite tip its way over into being truly disgusting. One critic dubbed it "The most profane, violent Bugs Bunny cartoon ever", and that pretty much nails it...this perfectly gets that kind of anarchic, freewheeling spirit the Looney Tunes had in the early-to-mid 40's, before they got tamed out into corporate mascots. My enjoyment was only slightly diluted by -- yes -- the obligatory parents dragging in a pair of under-eights to my matinee. :x Jeez, it was one thing when my Dad took me to see R-rated 80's Joel Silver flicks like Lethal Weapon 2 and Tango & Cash when I was fifteen, but no kid should be seeing and hearing a movie like Deadpool before they can even form coherent sentences. They actually didn't fuss or cry or anything, but that only made it more disturbing that their parents didn't drag them out before fifteen minutes were up. Seriously...what the hell?

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Jeez, it was one thing when my Dad took me to see R-rated 80's Joel Silver flicks like Lethal Weapon 2 and Tango & Cash when I was fifteen, but no kid should be seeing and hearing a movie like Deadpool before they can even form coherent sentences. They actually didn't fuss or cry or anything, but that only made it more disturbing that their parents didn't drag them out before fifteen minutes were up. Seriously...what the hell?
Yeah I don't get it. Even last night at 7:40 there was a grandfather with his grandson there (at least that's what it looked like)

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

EDIT [see next post]
Last edited by Monterey Jack on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.