Ten Commandments Gets Third DVD Release

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Ten Commandments Gets Third DVD Release

#1 Post by Eric Paddon »

On March 21, we'll be getting our third ever DVD release of "The Ten Commandments." This time the 1923 silent version will be included as well. Don't know yet if the extras for the main film will just be duplicates of the 2004 DVD release (which was very well done itself).

March 21 will also see the Fox Biblical epics that have had their scores released in recent years, "David And Bathsheba" and "Story Of Ruth" as well.

mkaroly

#2 Post by mkaroly »

That's good news- I look forward to purchasing that edition. I am also looking forward to seeing The Story of Ruth and David and Bathsheba for the first time- both scores are pretty cool (thanks Varese and Intrada)!

Bill Williams

#3 Post by Bill Williams »

As long as the extra features from the previous 2-disc release are ported over into this new 3-disc set, having the original 1920's version on DVD will be well worth picking up again if just for that alone.
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

Jedbu

10 C and other DeMille

#4 Post by Jedbu »

It will be the same as the previous release, and if you have a top-notch sound system, Gaylord Carter's score on the silent version should rock the house (just FF during the modern-day stuff-not very good).

I wonder when Paramount is finally going to release SAMSON & DELILAH and THE BUCCANEER (both 1938 and 1958 versions)? The former had a nice VHS release-on two tapes :?, and though it may be campy, it had a wonderful score by Victor Young and a terrific performance by George Sanders, who knew the perfect way to act in a DeMille Biblical epic-just look amused by the whole thing and enjoy yourself (it worked for Yul Brynner). Both versions of BUCCANEER are interesting-the early version for a scenery-chewing performance by Fredric March (who usually was more subtle than he was for CB) and the latter for both a lush score by Elmer Bernstein (who reuses his main 10 COMMANDMENTS theme nicely) and a fun, somewhat relaxed Chuck Heston as Andy Jackson. Anthony Quinn's direction is the equal of Lionel Barrymore's at early-talkie MGM, and Henry Hull is as annoying as Jar-Jar Binks, but it would be nice to finally see the film in the VistaVision ratio for a change.

I'm glad to see that Universal is bringing out a DeMille set later this year (bravo for having the guts to include FOUR FRIGHTENED PEOPLE) and I hope more is on the way. Now if we could just get a couple of more W. C. Fields box-sets, the same for Lubitsch, Wilder and Sturges, and lastly-The Marx Brothers films remastered in the correct aspect ratios and looking better than the 16mm prints I used to own!
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

I too was pleased to see that "Four Frightened People" will be available as well. The only version of that movie I've ever been able to find was a beat-up looking transfer from a 16mm print. As things stand that's a set with three films showing why Claudette Colbert was IMO at least the most beautiful actress of the 30s! :)

But as to why "Samson And Delilah" remains MIA, is one of the most baffling questions of home video you'll ever find.