This Week's Column: THE THING Strikes Again

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

This Week's Column: THE THING Strikes Again

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Full review of Shout's new THING, plus CARRIE, CHILD'S PLAY and plenty more in the first October column (technically speaking):

http://andyfilm.com/2016/09/29/10-4-16- ... kes-again/

sprocket

Re: This Week's Column: THE THING Strikes Again

#2 Post by sprocket »

Reading your THE THING review, I'm reminded that I never know what audio format to choose when I watch my blu-rays.

I have a stereo system and usually choose the stereo 2.0 option when available, but I wonder if choosing the default (usually the 5.1 option) and letting my player down mix it would be better.

Any advice? 8)

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

Your mentioning the trailer reminded me of the TV commercials I saw at the time and after being traumatized by the melting Nazis in Raiders, no way was I ever going to let my system handle this! :)

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

I am really looking forward to owning this.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

sprocket wrote:Reading your THE THING review, I'm reminded that I never know what audio format to choose when I watch my blu-rays.

I have a stereo system and usually choose the stereo 2.0 option when available, but I wonder if choosing the default (usually the 5.1 option) and letting my player down mix it would be better.

Any advice? 8)
It really depends on the mix Sprocket, there's never an easy answer and I can relate, because our bedroom is a stereo set-up (my main viewing is 5.1) and I often have issues with dialogue mixed too low against sound effects working with 2 channels.

I do hear a lot of 5.1 remixes where the 2.0 track is usually stronger because it's been "untouched" but in the case of THE THING, the 2.0 track is very, very limp. Has little presence.

I would go with the 5.1 (or 4.1) and let your player downmix it in this instance.