Weekend Box Officer 4/6 - Shazam Tops The Field

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Weekend Box Officer 4/6 - Shazam Tops The Field

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Solid for SHAZAM, okay for PET SEMATARY but poor word of mouth will probably lead to be a big drop next weekend. Somehow the "90% fresh" rating on that is now down to 61% and falling (and the audience rating on RT is 46%) -- gotta wonder who those initial reviews were that stacked the numbers. You don't see that very often.
1 Shazam! NL/WB 4,259 $20M $51.5M $54.8M 1
2 Pet Sematary Par 3,585 $9.7M $24M $24M 1
3 Dumbo Dis 4,259 $5M (-67%) $18.2M (-60%) $76.2M 2
4 Us Uni 3,512 (-231) $4.3M (-57%) $14.1M (-57%) $152.7M 3
5 Captain Marvel Dis 3,573 (-412) $3.3M (-39%) $12.9M (-38%) $374.3M 5
6 Best Of Enemies STX 1,705 $1.75M $5M $5M 1
7 Five Feet Apart CBS 2,484 (-362) $1.2M (-38%) $3.9M (-36%) $41.8M 4
8 Unplanned PF 1,516 (+457) $1.1M (-62%) $3.8M (-40%) $13M 2
9 Wonder Park Par 2,281 (-1,023) $564K (-54%) $2.2M (-54%) $42.2M 4
10 …Dragon 3 DWA/Uni 1,928 (-857) $525K (-53%) $2M (-53%) $156.7M 7

Johnmgm

Re: Weekend Box Officer 4/6 - Shazam Tops The Field

#2 Post by Johnmgm »

Dumbo drops 67%! My guess is Tim Burton is going to take the fall for this one, not the dope who thought hiring him for this material was a good idea. The silver lining, perhaps fewer live action remakes of the animated classics. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Aladdin and Lion King also under perform.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Let's hope so -- after all, once you run through these remakes, it's not as if Disney can go back and do them all again anytime soon. :lol:

That said, Disney will do better with the next two.

I think LION KING will make BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (remake)-level money simply because of the property. It's a "worldwide phenomenon" and if THE JUNGLE BOOK can make all that cash, THE LION KING should match/pass it. With the original never having left circulation (there are still kids animated toons adapted from it on Disney Channel), it looks totally pointless -- same story, songs, even James Earl Jones! -- but the way things work today, it'll go out with no competition, play on 4500 screens and make a billion no matter if it's good or bad.

ALADDIN is more of a wildcard -- Robin Williams is so associated with it that a diminishing Will Smith doesn't bring nearly as much interest into the project -- but they should be OK there too. It won't touch THE LION KING but it should do better than the likes of MARY POPPINS RETURNS worldwide.

On DUMBO, Disney rehiring Burton after the ridiculous money ALICE IN WONDERLAND took in isn't surprising -- even if the movie itself was lousy (something that manifested itself by how poorly the sequel did -- I think most people stayed away because they paid to see the first one and felt once was enough).

However, making DUMBO sounded like a bizarre match from the start, and never at any point did it sound like it was going to work (Colin Farrell? No talking animals? Dark and depressing?? C'mon!). Plus it's a really old property that has little connection with younger viewers (or even people under the age of, what, 50?). It's not unlike MARY POPPINS RETURNS -- these are antiquated properties that probably would've fared better if they were remade 20 years ago.

I assume they gave Burton the ability to choose his own remake -- that, in hindsight, also wasn't wise, as Burton's name cache really doesn't mean much any more.

Johnmgm

#4 Post by Johnmgm »

As a Disney stockholder, I hope you are right about Lion King. But, Disney has made so many bone headed decisions as of late...I think an ass whooping is in store.

Tim Burton is a talented guy, and probably has more name recognition among the general population of anyone currently working with the exception of Spielberg. But, but...the day of the director has passed, it may return someday, but I probably won’t see it. Dumbo was also a bad fit with Burton’s style and just an incredibly dumb hire. Some nameless git from the Marvel factory would have been a better choice.

My fear as a stockholder is that Disney has put all their eggs in three baskets. Marvel should do solid, but probably declining business for a decade. Disney/Pixar should be OK—but they need to right their ship. Canning Lassiter boggles the mind. Lucasfilm is iffy on the movie front (I think merchandising, etc. is sound). Another crappy movie like Solo (or frankly, any of the “new” movies) will really poison the well. This division needs to get their act together soon.

I hope the Fox deal turns out well (unlike Andy). Maybe it will bring some new blood into Disney, because long-term they desperately need it. Eventually, superhero movies will lose popularity (how many big screen Westerns have you seen lately?) and if one third of your company is dependent on comic book movies you better have something up your sleeve to fill that consumer need. I don’t think we have reached the peak of Marvel yet (Black Panther 2 will be huge), but I suspect it will be soon.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

I was reading the other day Disney only averages now 10 theatrical movies a year. That's down, and the cinema itself is down 25% in terms of total theatrical releases from a decade ago. The Fox deal isn't going to lead to an increase in Disney's output -- once they flush out the remaining slate and the Avatar sequels, that will be it outside less than a handful of annual releases (I think they said there could be 4 releases annually under the Fox name). Disney already laid off the entire Fox executive side that produced HIDDEN FIGURES so that tells you what their plans are

The whole paradigm for Disney (and the cinema in general) is fewer movies with bigger and bigger budgets, and I can't see it changing with nearly everything else now going to screaming services all of these corporations are trying to market.