James Horner - Appreciation Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Plane Registered To Film Composer James Horner Crashes

#31 Post by AndyDursin »

Did you check Amazon? Zoverstocks (UK) has one at $11.99:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... cketeer+cd

I wouldn't spend big money on that CD either way. It's out of print and at the rate Intrada is going, it's just a matter of time before they take a go of it.

John Johnson

#32 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Did you check Amazon? Zoverstocks (UK) has one at $11.99:

I wouldn't spend big money on that CD either way. It's out of print and at the rate Intrada is going, it's just a matter of time before they take a go of it.
I'm sure The Rocketeer, along with other Horner titles are on their radar. Still hoping the rights issue with Volunteers can be ironed out.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

Re: James Horner - Appreciation Thread

#33 Post by AndyDursin »

VOLUNTEERS is probably in the same place as HEAVEN HELP US -- with HBO's movie unit. Folks don't seem to do much if any business with them.

John Johnson

#34 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:VOLUNTEERS is probably in the same place as HEAVEN HELP US -- with HBO's movie unit. Folks don't seem to do much if any business with them.
Missing elements it seems. Unless things have changed.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... volunteers

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

Too bad. Sounds like control of the movie is an issue still -- HBO produced it, Tri-Star released it, but who knows who owns what at this point (or cares, in the case of the music). It's probably "around" somewhere...

I remember thinking that film was one of the worst movies I had ever seen at the time. A comedy without laughs of any kind, despite having Hanks and Candy. :lol: Don't remember a thing about the music either...probably one of those reasons Nicholas Meyer seldom directed again (that, and THE DECEIVERS with Brosnan -- lol)

HEAVEN HELP US is an interesting score (and a much better film too) since he had to re-do it several times. There's a good sounding boot of that at least floating around.

AndyDursin

#36 Post by AndyDursin »

My tribute to Horner in this week's column is up:

http://andyfilm.com/2015/06/25/6-30-15- ... ectacular/

Jedbu

#37 Post by Jedbu »

Someone is selling 5 Horner CDs for $76 + $5 P&H, including ROCKETEER, FIELD OF DREAMS, JUMANJI, COURAGE UNDER FIRE and MAN WITHOUT A FACE.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/James-Horner-So ... 4aec344f8f

AndyDursin

#38 Post by AndyDursin »

Most of those are used under $5...the only one that's worth more than $10 is THE ROCKETEER...lol

Ebay capitalists!! ;)

John Johnson

#39 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote: HEAVEN HELP US is an interesting score (and a much better film too) since he had to re-do it several times. There's a good sounding boot of that at least floating around.

I still have mine.

Paul MacLean

#40 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Did you check Amazon? Zoverstocks (UK) has one at $11.99:

Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately it was gone by the time I got there! :cry:

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

With his death now is probably not a good time to buy it with prices spiraling...I'd just wait or wait for the inevitable reissue.

mkaroly

#42 Post by mkaroly »

Very nice write up on the Aisle Seat front page Andy...well said. I was not the biggest fan of Horner's, but he DID understand classic film scoring and he was one of the few composers working today who could write and develop memorable themes while at the same time telling the film's story through the music. He is to be commended and remembered for that. My favorite scores of his:

STAR TREK II
ALIENS
BRAVEHART
KRULL
BRAINSTORM

Rest in peace Mr. Horner.

Paul MacLean

#43 Post by Paul MacLean »

DavidBanner wrote:Many of his scores did tend to borrow from the earlier ones, but he had a wonderful emotional sense to his work. I remember when he first came to everyone's attention in the 80s and people thought he would be the next Jerry Goldsmith. He didn't, as his work tended to be more derivative for some time, but he did give us several very nice pieces that continue to stand the test of time.
There was some self-repetition in his early work, but at the time he was working at a near-superhuman pace (eight films with his scores were released in 1983!).

I agree, Horner did not become "the next Goldsmith". Instead, he carved his own identity, ultimately to enjoy success as the first James Horner (as as well as much deserved popular recognition). By the 90s, it was clear that Horner was Goldsmith's equal, and sometimes his superior (there's certainly no comparison between Braveheart and First Knight).

AndyDursin

#44 Post by AndyDursin »

Instead, he carved his own identity, ultimately to enjoy success as the first James Horner (as as well as much deserved popular recognition).
Well said Paul, agreed!
By the 90s, it was clear that Horner was Goldsmith's equal, and sometimes his superior (there's certainly no comparison between Braveheart and First Knight).
No question there in my mind. That's kind of how it went for Goldsmith a lot of times. He always seemed to get the leftovers or the inferior cinematic product to work on, and his scores seldom measured up to what came before. Instead of Jurassic Park he had CONGO. Instead of The Fugitive he had US MARSHALS. Instead of Home Alone he had DENNIS THE MENACE. Instead of Superman he had SUPERGIRL. Instead of "Kiss the Girls" he came onboard for ALONG CAME A SPIDER...I know there are other examples because Paul and I talked about it previously.

Listen I love Jerry, but Horner had definitely passed Goldsmith in the 90s on the A-list IMO. The quality of his work outclassed a lot of the "workmanlike" scores Goldsmith was hammering out for the likes of "Chain Reaction", while Horner had forged relationships with major talents like Gibson, Ron Howard, etc. Naturally they are obviously very different composers but I detect some bitterness there with Goldsmith's comments. He never had a soundtrack sell as many copies as TITANIC or had one of the most successful songs of all-time stem as a result from a movie he worked on. Even LEGENDS OF THE FALL was a laughable movie but it was a widely popular album on its own -- I'm sure it sold thousands and thousands more copies than the likes of "Medicine Man." Seeing Horner double Goldsmith's Oscar win total on Titanic probably irritated him inside as well (Jerry was not a warm and fuzzy guy as we know).

Jedbu

#45 Post by Jedbu »

The latest issue of Entertainment Weekly has two tributes to Horner-one, a nice piece by James Cameron about working with the composer (although he kind of glosses over the falling out they had in the wake of ALIENS) the "Bullseye" at the end has his work in the center with images from AN AMERICAN TAIL, BRAVEHEART and TITANIC and the words "James Horner's iconic scores will go on and on."

Nicely done.